Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Nov 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3163568)   #76
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More teams fall into place:

Bobby Labonte officially back with JTG next year. Davis Reutimann joins XXXtreme Motorsports, a new full time team, next year. For Ambrose, it's been a complete mess with the crew chiefs...I think he went through 3 within a few weeks. Luke Lambert will be his CC in 2013.

Now this is interesting; BK racing, new for 2012, has been a surprisingly good team as time went on. They're rumored for new crew chiefs, and an even bigger rumor that AJ Allmendinger will drive one of the 2 cars. No word on Landon Cassill or Travis Kvapil so far.

Even better? Travis Pastrana is rumored to be moving to Roush-Fenway in the Nationwide series, where he will run full time alongside Trevor Bayne.

Last edited by MJ_N_09; 7 Nov 2012 at 00:53.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3163709)   #77
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Pastrana vs Patrick!
Old 8 Nov 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3164242)   #78
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn it.

Labonte just won't retire.

42 drivers brake on entry to the pit lane. Bobby has to accelerate to meet 55 these days.

I was hoping he'd end on a high note and call it a day after a "stellar" ninth-place at Martinsville. He'll never finish that high again, barring Daytona and Talladega nonsense.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3164251)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Damn it.

Labonte just won't retire.

42 drivers brake on entry to the pit lane. Bobby has to accelerate to meet 55 these days.

I was hoping he'd end on a high note and call it a day after a "stellar" ninth-place at Martinsville. He'll never finish that high again, barring Daytona and Talladega nonsense.
Given a car that's worth a ****, I disagree immensely. Especially at AMS.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3164297)   #80
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Given a car that's worth a ****, I disagree immensely. Especially at AMS.
I would agree with B. Lab getting one more year because if he can get a top 10 finish, that's worth something of a team of this size. With a team trying to get him the best resources to make him competitive, this would be a make a break year for him. Jeff Burton is in the same boat too.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 00:44 (Ref:3164303)   #81
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
the #9 paint scheme has been released for next year, but still no confirmation that either Ambrose or Almirola have been signed again at RPM...yet.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 02:06 (Ref:3164331)   #82
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a big Labonte fan, so maybe I'm just overly pessimistic about having to have watched his career go from some potential of getting it together at Petty in 2006-2007 to just being hopeless, but I think the "good ride" and "one more year" ships both sailed a while ago. He's had hundreds of crew chiefs, teams, manufacturers, whatever. He runs in his bubble of 21st to 26th every weekend. The Phoenix Racing car was a lot better without him, too. Busch and Allmendinger have gotten more from that ride than Bobby could; he was on par with a very inexperienced Cassill.

As for Burton, the RCR thing's over after 2013. Paw Paw's got someone to put in that 31 in 2014. I guess it'll reduce Burton to reunited with Stoddard at FAS Lane or some other embarrassing way to go out.

That said, I think with Luke Lambert on board, Burton will have a much better 2013...maybe a season worthy of ending his career on...
Old 9 Nov 2012, 02:45 (Ref:3164340)   #83
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I'm betting it's Austin Dillon replacing Jeff Burton from what you're hinting at.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3164612)   #84
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Vickers to do the whole 2013 NNS with JGR....

Can't believe Travis Pastrana at RFR in NNS.... Ryan Blaney, Ryan Truex, Darrell WallaceJr. to name but three are all demonstrably more talented in a race car than that muppet.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3164693)   #85
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I'm betting it's Austin Dillon replacing Jeff Burton from what you're hinting at.
Don't want to bet with you about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Brian Vickers to do the whole 2013 NNS with JGR....

Can't believe Travis Pastrana at RFR in NNS.... Ryan Blaney, Ryan Truex, Darrell WallaceJr. to name but three are all demonstrably more talented in a race car than that muppet.
Yes but money decides again...
Old 9 Nov 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3164703)   #86
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I too am surprised that Bobby Labonte has kept his ride at JTG Daugherty Racing. I never really rated him back in the time of his time, and now he is frankly embarassing. It doesn't of course help his cause that JTG Daugherty downgraded their relationship with MWR at the end of the season before MWR got hot.

As for Jeff Burton at RCR, he is 45 now, so I guess he isn't going to get any quicker. However, RCR is a team on the slide, so his results over the past couple of seasons need to be viewed in that context; I'm not sure just how well anyone else would go in the #31.

Talking of teams on the slide, is there any major organisation in Cup racing worse than EGR? I continue to be amazed at JPM's loyalty to Chip Ganassi.

Lastly, the move I really don't understand is JGR showing Joey Logano the door. Kenseth might be consistent, but he's the wrong side of 40 now, so he's not going to get any faster. I think that Penske might just be getting the best side of this deal, but that's the Cap'n for you; goes into the revolving door behind you, and comes out ahead of you.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3164710)   #87
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Well, let's cross out the "Dillon replacing Burton stuff" if the Harvick to Stewart-Haas in 2014 report is true.

This concept of Scott Riggs running a fourth SHR car part-time kind of makes you wonder if SHR will have four full-time cars in 2014, with the #29 becoming the #3 for Dillon...

Either that, or Newman's future is insecure.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3164720)   #88
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Now Harvick to SHR in 2014 is one I'll admit I hadn't heard; I'd always thought that Harvick was closely wedded to RCR. Neither had I heard the Scott Riggs story; I'd have thought that there were more talented wheelmen available. Or has Scott Riggs secured sufficient funding to do a part season?

Speaking of Stewart Haas, does anyone know what number she will be carrying next year? Has Robby Gordon finally given up on NASCAR, in which case the #7 would be available?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3164740)   #89
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In 2009 there were rumors Harvick would leave RCR.

I think Robby has left the paved roads and fully concentrates on off road racing like baja's, Dakar and his new stadium super trucks series.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3164808)   #90
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
The #17 and #99 may swap crew chiefs.

I mentioned something about BK Racing, but even more questions than answers have come up. At least 5 names are circulating for the team next year and number changes. Something about Scott Riggs was mentioned too, even though he has nothing to do with the team:

Quote:
BK Racing switching numbers? Riggs & SHR? hearing that one of the BK Racing cars (#83 & #93) will switch to using the #23 in 2013. Supposedly they asked for the car number as a sponsor request. They did not purchase the current #23 R3 Motorsports team owned by Robert Richardson Sr., but asked NASCAR for the car number and got it. No word which car number will switch, the #83 or the #93. Some rumors have David Reutimann possibly going to one of the BK Racing rides in 2013. No word if current drivers #83-Landon Cassill or #93-Travis Kvapil will return to BK Racing in 2013. Reutimann could also staying at Tommy Baldwin Racing if the team keeps tow cars running or run with the #44 Xxxtreme team that is debuting at Phoenix this weekend. end up Some rumors have BK Racing expanding to three cars in 2013, but been told it will likely be a two-car operation in 2013. Been told that R3 Motorsports is weighing its options for 2013 and if they will run the Sprint Cup Series. As for current #23 driver, Scott Riggs, hearing he has an oppurtunity at Stewart-Haas Racing as a driving coach for Danica Patrick and/or testing cars for Stewart Haas Racing (#10, #14, #39) with a chance of running a 4th SHR Chevy in some races, if a sponsor can be found.(11-9-2012)
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3164810)   #91
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Now Harvick to SHR in 2014 is one I'll admit I hadn't heard; I'd always thought that Harvick was closely wedded to RCR. Neither had I heard the Scott Riggs story; I'd have thought that there were more talented wheelmen available. Or has Scott Riggs secured sufficient funding to do a part season?

Speaking of Stewart Haas, does anyone know what number she will be carrying next year? Has Robby Gordon finally given up on NASCAR, in which case the #7 would be available?
Marty Smith of ESPN broke it; it's been spreading now. The Riggs thing is on Jayski as quoted above; contingent on funding. They want him to be Danica's coach so she can aspire to reach his level of mediocrity.

I think Harvick's upset with RCR because he's stopped putting his focus on the Cup program to develop the Dillons. He knows as soon as Austin (and then Ty) get to Cup, the attention will be there, and rightfully so, they're talented kids.

That said, Harvick's not realizing that when you drive for Tony Stewart, you're probably not going to get better cars than Tony...

Robby plans to run Daytona and Sonoma next year, so Danica's in the #10 still, wearing the number her new coach so famously drove to finishes marginally better than her own. If she runs NNS, it will be in the #88 part-time, which means you get to restock on all new Danica merchandise, Clive.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3164811)   #92
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
the #9 paint scheme has been released for next year, but still no confirmation that either Ambrose or Almirola have been signed again at RPM...yet.
Update on this: I missed a Jayski post that both drivers are close to contracts with the team for 2013.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3164824)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Update on this: I missed a Jayski post that both drivers are close to contracts with the team for 2013.
'Close to' doesnt mean its done
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Nov 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3164907)   #94
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
It's too bad Ambrose doesn't have options elsewhere. RPM's a turd of a team and this crew chief swapping made a real mess just so the "famous 43" could run better than 27th.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3164918)   #95
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
which means you get to restock on all new Danica merchandise, Clive.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3164951)   #96
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
By the way, about Kenseth/Logano, it came down to sponsors. The Home Depot and Dollar General were not happy with Logano's performance. Kenseth still delivers at a high level, and is among NASCAR's top ten most popular drivers (despite his boring reputation, he's someone that everyone in the garage likes. Very witty and subtle). Gibbs wanted to keep Logano, but funding for a fourth car was going to be hard to find (as of right now, Earnhardt doesn't even have all 36 races sponsored in 2013, you know) and Logano didn't want to be a Nationwide driver when he had won a Cup race this year.

Having someone who closed the deal (admittedly before the Chase) around Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin can't be a negative, and having an older driver won't cause much harm when JGR do have development drivers in the works (and could add Ross Kenseth to that list, though he has many suitors).

It will be interesting to see Logano in the 22, though. I often wonder if the 22's performance dropped off because of the lack of Kurt Busch, or because of Todd Gordon. It's been hard to gauge because Allmendinger, though better than he was this year, isn't that great, and neither is Hornish. Still, many feel Todd Gordon was inadequate for the Cup side.

I feel like Penske is in a very good position with Keselowski and Ryan Blaney, so Logano will have to earn a future there.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3165587)   #97
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Another name circulating for SHR; If Kyle Busch doesn't resign with Gibbs after this year, there was speculation he would join the Stewart-Haas team in the 4th car if Ryan Newman does not resign after 2013.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3165603)   #98
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I've heard this one as well, but there's two very big "ifs"; firstly, I can't see Gibbs not busting a gut to re-sign Shrub (who would they replace him with- Mark Martin?), and secondly, I don't think that Ryan Newman would ever get a better gig than his present one at SHR. Tony Stewart seems to like him more than any other team principal in NASCAR does.

Sooner or later, the current 40+ brigade in NASCAR occupying blue chip seats (Burton,Gordon, Kenseth, and Martin to name but four) are going to have to step aside to let the next generation (Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliott, Ross Kenseth, Ryan Truex, Darrell Wallace Jr.) come through, never mind the Dillon brothers. I wonder just where the latter two might go?
Old 12 Nov 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3165630)   #99
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Sooner or later, the current 40+ brigade in NASCAR occupying blue chip seats (Burton,Gordon, Kenseth, and Martin to name but four) are going to have to step aside to let the next generation (Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliott, Ross Kenseth, Ryan Truex, Darrell Wallace Jr.) come through, never mind the Dillon brothers. I wonder just where the latter two might go?
Burton is pretty much keeping the seat warm for Austin Dillon in '14, He's probably done after next year. Mark Martin has been trying to retire since 2005, they just keep throwing money at him. 2013 is going to be the same basic setup he ran this year, sharing the car with Waltrip and Vickers, with Vickers looking to take the seat full time in 2014. Kenseth? Who knows. If he's competitive in a Gibbs car, he's probably not going anywhere. Gordon will run for at least another 10 years.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3165892)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Harvick leaving RCR for Smoke Racing in 2014?

Wait, this is the 2013 silly season thread. Sorry.