Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 2015, 13:05 (Ref:3512044)   #2551
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They never said they were doing 5days, just that they could due to the fact they were piggy backing on audi's testing.. So tbh I'm not worried they've only done 2days maybe more spares would be beneficial when testing, or spares backed up which could be dispatch ASAP.

Sebring hammers the car so it's good they've found faults they can fix before lm.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3512060)   #2552
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
I suspect that this is the Flybrid unit:

(source: racer.com)
Old 5 Mar 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3512069)   #2553
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That huge thing under the driver would certainly explain the origami drivers position (I would be breathing compromised) and - I just noticed, the driver is also very high in the car. Looks like the whole car is a masterpiece (or nightmare) of packaging.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3512083)   #2554
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a huge fan of this project, but I do worry for them. They are going to look pretty silly if this thing is a flop, and that would be a shame because everyone wants a more diverse field of close competitors.

What are folks thoughts about Nissan running a design that has significant compromises purely with an eye to win LM? Don't we want to see the whole WEC championship gain legitimacy and value?
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3512086)   #2555
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Disappointing to see them pack up and leave so early... does it have to be said though... one tub, rather revolutionary ideas... they crack the tub and lose valuable time... had they been prepared, like with two running tubs and a spare, they would have had double the information while testing, AND been able to stay. It really makes you scream BUDGET, BUDGET.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3512087)   #2556
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
I'm a huge fan of this project, but I do worry for them. They are going to look pretty silly if this thing is a flop, and that would be a shame because everyone wants a more diverse field of close competitors.

What are folks thoughts about Nissan running a design that has significant compromises purely with an eye to win LM? Don't we want to see the whole WEC championship gain legitimacy and value?
I think the WEC has legitimacy and value and the only way to gain form here on out is to add better race tracks cough Sebring cough Fia grade 1 tracks are pretty boring.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3512088)   #2557
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really want this car to have a fair shot—I don't care if it succeeds or fails, I just want it to bring its best to the WEC races this season

Given that, I see this shortened test session as the worst possible outcome, and the fact that it wasn't one of the more unique systems or aspects which caused the failure, even more so (in that there wasn't enough time to really push the limits on either the FWD configuration or the kinetic flywheel.)

Nissan can claim what it likes, but there is no way it flew all the way to Sebring to run 25 laps or even two days. That car needs and that team wanted as much track time as possible; now they are trying to put on a happy face, but seriously? The car broke after 25 laps, and only managed 25 laps in two days. No amount of makeup is going to cover up those black eyes.

I hope Nissan can get everything fixed and get the track time it needs to be ready for Spa, but I am not sanguine. That's okay; as far as I can tell the car was built to work well at only one track anyway.

(Fogelhound posted while I was typing; I second everything he says.)
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3512101)   #2558
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has this car actually run properly at all yet, in anything like the configuration it might race with? As far as I can tell, the car has been limited to installation runs and shakedown tests and it's not even done those properly.

I don't see how they can expect to beat the Kolles at Silverstone at this rate.

Which is itself ironic. After that team's shambolic 2014, everything points to them being better prepared than their direct rival and even a major manufacturer. By virtue of the absence of the two Rebellions and coughing and spluttering Nissans, there's a decent finish up for grabs!
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:31 (Ref:3512104)   #2559
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Disappointing to see them pack up and leave so early... does it have to be said though... one tub, rather revolutionary ideas... they crack the tub and lose valuable time... had they been prepared, like with two running tubs and a spare, they would have had double the information while testing, AND been able to stay. It really makes you scream BUDGET, BUDGET.

Makes me scream PR, PR. I keep thinking this is the G56 entry the Zeod wasn't. Like that one - the whole deal seems to be about gaining a lot of press with a weird device without actually spending the money to succeed.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3512106)   #2560
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Makes me scream PR, PR. I keep thinking this is the G56 entry the Zeod wasn't. Like that one - the whole deal seems to be about gaining a lot of press with a weird device without actually spending the money to succeed.
The difference here is that they've signed up to a year of this. There's isn't anywhere to hide, no "we had bad luck, this time"-type excuses.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3512107)   #2561
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes the KERS system looks like one very heavy mother indeed........I can imagine ToroTrack-FlyBrid are now possibly frantically re-designing it as a weight reduced 2MJ system.......I'm guessing a circa 100+ Kg 6-8MJ system will reduce to the region of 40-50Kg for a 2MJ system.

I generally agree also, I would love to see this car achieve success, its a credit to the spirit of LMP racing and new technology in general
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3512116)   #2562
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Part of me really wants to lambaste Nissan for this—spending what it must be costing for the Zeod and now this—if they aren't going to get really serious and race the things. Part of me is suggesting I hold off and see what actually happens ... but a larger part of me feels like wdave0—they are just playing for PR.

As for signing up for a year—they needed to, to get the LM entry. Doesn't mean they will run more laps than the Zeod did at any race.

I really hope Nissan is serious about this.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:54 (Ref:3512117)   #2563
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Same happened with Toyota in 2012 yet everybody wanted to give them leeway for 'being new'... broken chassis after Paul Ricard crash and no backups so everything delayed until LM. And three years later they're still running underbudget.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3512118)   #2564
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Well, the intelligent thing to do here is hold off and see what happens... it really is too early to jump to conclusions, but the early signs certainly are concerning.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3512131)   #2565
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Same happened with Toyota in 2012 yet everybody wanted to give them leeway for 'being new'... broken chassis after Paul Ricard crash and no backups so everything delayed until LM. And three years later they're still running underbudget.
To be fair, Toyota did receive a lot of criticism for that mistake, even though they are new.

I am kinda ambivalent about what I think about this early ending to the testing.
Yes, it is shame and waste of testing time that this error in the tub occurs. But this is what the testing is for.
If they had another tub with them, the same error would likely appear, meaning two destroyed tubs.

This also differentiate them from the Toyota incident, where it was a crash and not a fault in the car itself.
Nissan will come out stronger from this, and they will be competitive at some point. However it is their own mistake that people expect so much from them because of their PR machine is running overdrive on what there is to expect.
(I am actually starting to wonder if Nissan ever directly has said anything about what they expect for results?)
Old 5 Mar 2015, 16:48 (Ref:3512134)   #2566
jswarde
Rookie

Scotland
jswarde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
yes the KERS system looks like one very heavy mother indeed........I can imagine ToroTrack-FlyBrid are now possibly frantically re-designing it as a weight reduced 2MJ system.......I'm guessing a circa 100+ Kg 6-8MJ system will reduce to the region of 40-50Kg for a 2MJ system.

I generally agree also, I would love to see this car achieve success, its a credit to the spirit of LMP racing and new technology in general
This twin Flywheel system has its roots in a single Flybrid system built and raced in 2012 by Dyson Racing - it was reported as weighing about 40kg. So I think Flybrid already have a single design that should be capable of Le Mans 4mJ capacity with weight around the 40 - 50kg level; Nissan seem to still have the option of running a single unit so it would be a surprise if they do not already have one available.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3512136)   #2567
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
(I am actually starting to wonder if Nissan ever directly has said anything about what they expect for results?)
Get PR goggles in

"We are aiming to win. No, we are going to win - in a very different, a very innovative and a very Nissan way"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114091
Old 5 Mar 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3512137)   #2568
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
They said they want to win Le Mans in two year's time (if memory serves me right they even said they *will* win), that's the goal they have set for themselves. So this is a very tricky position to backtrack from if this thing turns out to be a red-painted AMR-One.

That's their main problem, it's all talk with very little substance to show for it so far.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3512143)   #2569
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
To be fair, Toyota did receive a lot of criticism for that mistake, even though they are new.

I am kinda ambivalent about what I think about this early ending to the testing.
Yes, it is shame and waste of testing time that this error in the tub occurs. But this is what the testing is for.
If they had another tub with them, the same error would likely appear, meaning two destroyed tubs.

This also differentiate them from the Toyota incident, where it was a crash and not a fault in the car itself.
Nissan will come out stronger from this, and they will be competitive at some point. However it is their own mistake that people expect so much from them because of their PR machine is running overdrive on what there is to expect.

Yes, Toyota did receive similar treatment... one car in the championship, just didn't seem competitive enough, nor committed enough... and then when they went two cars....
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:03 (Ref:3512145)   #2570
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, Toyota did receive similar treatment... one car in the championship, just didn't seem competitive enough, nor committed enough... and then when they went two cars....
After one and a half seasons
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3512149)   #2571
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But that is what I though.
It is a brand new concept like others already pointed out.
There are so many things that can go wrong. Yes, they made some obvious weird choices concerning the engine displacement, but if they believe that the concept will work I will continue to give them credit for it, until it is at least one year old, or they themselves say it is flawed. Development takes a lot of time, and will give you many unexpected problems, and Nissan will encounter more because of their different concept.

But as long as Nissan is not saying that they will stand on the top of the podium this year, I won't talk bad about Nissans efforts. There is a lot of time to fix a lot of issues, if they first expect to win next year.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3512151)   #2572
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
They've got 78 hours of racing conditions ahead of them before Le Mans 2016. CTD has a very good point - it's early days yet. The car won't be judged by how it performs now or even this season.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3512152)   #2573
Maelochs
Veteran

I don't care if they don't win a race anywhere this year, so long as I get the impression that they are really trying, and are taking their effort seriously.

Obviously Nissan couldn't care less what I think, but ...

And it doesn't matter that this is an innovative and very unusual project; I want every factory entry to be a full-on serious effort. If budget constraints are such that the project has no hope of success, I will certainly criticize that. If the budget is small and the team comes through anyway, hoorah.

So far ... as Fogle says, reason dictates patience and observation.

I had thought the Flybrid Dyson used was electrical whereas the Nissan's was kinetic? I talked to the Flybrid tech at PLM a couple years back, and looked at the cutaway on display ... but I have the memeory of a senile guppy.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3512153)   #2574
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
They've got 78 hours of racing conditions ahead of them before Le Mans 2016. CTD has a very good point - it's early days yet. The car won't be judged by how it performs now or even this season.
Of course it will be judged by this years performance. They might have said that the real goal is for 2016 (sorta - in the 2014 Autosport article they were still relatively bullish about 2015) but merely saying that will get the expectations way higher than with Toyota in their first year. Furthermore their eternal PR words will get mixed up along the way.

Also if it performs as horribly like AMR-One - which I seriously doubt for the record - it doesn't matter at what point of the development curve the chassis is, reaction wise.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 18:18 (Ref:3512172)   #2575
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswarde View Post
This twin Flywheel system has its roots in a single Flybrid system built and raced in 2012 by Dyson Racing - it was reported as weighing about 40kg. So I think Flybrid already have a single design that should be capable of Le Mans 4mJ capacity with weight around the 40 - 50kg level; Nissan seem to still have the option of running a single unit so it would be a surprise if they do not already have one available.
Welcome to the forum.
Closed Thread