Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Apr 2004, 04:38 (Ref:954111)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clarification of 2004 Airbox Regs...

I was checking out the drawings of new Lola LMP2 car and noticed that the second head-rest/roll-hoop area was used as an airbox for the engine. Is this legal under the 2004 regulations? If so, why would Courage make an airbox on top of on of the headrests on the C65 when they could eliminate drag and increase rear wing efficiency by placing the airbox in the second head rest? Does anyone know what the ruling on this is?
Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:26 (Ref:954659)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Clarification of 2004 Airbox Regs...

Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe
I was checking out the drawings of new Lola LMP2 car and noticed that the second head-rest/roll-hoop area was used as an airbox for the engine. Is this legal under the 2004 regulations? If so, why would Courage make an airbox on top of on of the headrests on the C65 when they could eliminate drag and increase rear wing efficiency by placing the airbox in the second head rest? Does anyone know what the ruling on this is?
This is a guess...

I'm not an engineer...

But it looks (at a glance anyway) that they are also using the Gearbox as part of the Roll-Hoop or Roll-Over safety apparatus on the C65, as well as on the Pesca and the Lister...

But I haven't examined the images closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 18:43 (Ref:954907)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

i'm surprised more people haven't replied to this because i feel that if the lmp cars are allowed to place the air intakes in the headrest of the second head-rest then this will almost negate the factor of extra drag created by the second head-rest because most cars have an air intake there anyways (i.e. domes, mkIIIc, dallara, zytec, etc.)
Old 28 Apr 2004, 20:30 (Ref:955002)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, that other headrest is exactly where I would put them, too...

Old 28 Apr 2004, 21:41 (Ref:955111)   #5
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this ruling is dire the cars look ugly! OK sportscars are meant to be two seaters but going to these lengths mean the cars are aestetically poor and therefore GT racing will lose its appeal due to the cars "bad looks". i think it will take some time before a factory outfit enters and radically alter the apperance of the formula with a rule bending chassis!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 21:52 (Ref:955122)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm not wild about them, but I don't think they are horrid, either...

and they look worlds better than some of the Grand Am DPs....

Old 28 Apr 2004, 22:49 (Ref:955214)   #7
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest where were the images of the lola you were looking at?

But I agree, it would seem like a logical solution, although I expect you would probably only gain a little drag benifit back, as the current airboxes are desgind with this in mind, but the headrest (IIRC) have to have a set shape, which is quite flat to the airflow.

Also there maybe differences in the pressure or air feed problems from getting airflow in that region, as there is a large open space in front of the headrest, which will not have the same airflow characteristics as the rest of the car.

However as usual, I turn to Mike Fuller (MulsanneMike) and Andy Thorby for possible reasons/interpritations

Whatcha think Mike and Andy?

Regards
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 28 Apr 2004 at 22:50.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:28 (Ref:955269)   #8
tblincoe
Veteran

The images of the lola are on mulsanne mike's site, in the news section under the archives in the november section
Old 30 Apr 2004, 01:01 (Ref:956295)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

where's mulsanne mike when you need him? haha
Old 24 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:981698)   #10
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spotted this today.
John McNeil from Team Nasamax (the only LMP1 car btw) said over on dailysportscar.com that it isn't possible to place the airbox in the headrest. To quote:

"Each area is strictly regulated, so that for example we can’t put the airbox entry within the secondary roll structure on the passenger side."
Hope it clears it up a little.

Regards
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 24 May 2004 at 18:53.
Old 24 May 2004, 19:12 (Ref:981731)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

yeah just read that, thanks for the heads up! by the way, all you dsc subscribers should read this article, very good journalism
Old 25 May 2004, 08:50 (Ref:982301)   #12
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read bthat article on DSC and then tried to find in the regs anything to say "you can't have the intakes in the passenger side" and frankly, couldn't find it.

I would be grateful if anyone has read it to tell me where it is.
Old 25 May 2004, 10:23 (Ref:982382)   #13
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the airflow to the opening in the headrest is a bit turbulent. But you can use it for engine bay cooling, oilcooler inlet, brake duct, etc... So why not use it for this kind of things. Always better as a duct than as non working frontal area.

So it's probably not alowed as an inlet.