Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2093203)   #101
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Stepney is already writing that book.
I am sure that will be the unauthorised version.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 09:00 (Ref:2093210)   #102
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
This following was a statement made by Montezemolo :

" The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. "

No amount of context can justify this. Its tarnishes the entire nation of England, a country where Ferrari make a large percentage of their sales and where they have a loyal fan base, and has got nothing to do with what McLaren did or did not do.
It really doesn't have anything to do with McLaren. Really. It does however have something to do with Autosport awards (McLaren - the racing car of the year) and yes, this context does justify the comment. The full quote is "The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. The best car is the one that wins, and that's the Ferrari."
Old 21 Dec 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2093211)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
dog poo? Hitler?

now .. who are the sore losers ? :blah:

@ climb, I was referring to the situation, not the comments.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 09:22 (Ref:2093220)   #104
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The full quote is "The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. The best car is the one that wins, and that's the Ferrari."
The best car isn't necessarily the one that wins. McLaren arguably had the best car overall this year, and stuffed things up towards the end of the year, such as in China where they should've called Hamilton in for new tyres.

And if indeed it is a popularity vote, and people went for McLaren, well boo-hoo, it's only the Autosport Awards. Ferrari have the world championship. What more do they want? Humiliation of McLaren it seems. Where's the grace?

And to say this demonstrates a lack of sportsmanship on the part of the English, is frankly insulting. I'm not lying when I say this comment of di Montezemolo's doesn't wind me up.

I just think it's very sad. Sad that he resorts to saying such things. He only makes himself look foolish.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 09:49 (Ref:2093225)   #105
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
The best car isn't necessarily the one that wins. McLaren arguably had the best car overall this year, and stuffed things up towards the end of the year, such as in China where they should've called Hamilton in for new tyres.
just for the record, Ferrari won nine races this year, McLaren eight, so even if mr De M had an unfortunate choice of words, he is not too far away from the truth as you seem to indicate...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2093243)   #106
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
It does however have something to do with Autosport awards (McLaren - the racing car of the year) and yes, this context does justify the comment. The full quote is "The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. The best car is the one that wins, and that's the Ferrari."
Erm...how does that context justify the comment? How exactly does McLaren winning an Autosport award make everybody in England unsporting? It's a ridiculous comment to make, and any ordinary person would be ashamed of themselves, but I don't think di Montezemolo has any shame.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2093246)   #107
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't say he was far away from the truth. I'm saying that if we are talking about performance, then of course you can debate whether the Ferrari was the best car. Just as it's possible to reckon that Hamilton is a more talented driver than Raikkonen.

That doesn't take away the fact that he has insulted English people with his unacceptable remarks.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:35 (Ref:2093248)   #108
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
just for the record, Ferrari won nine races this year, McLaren eight, so even if mr De M had an unfortunate choice of words, he is not too far away from the truth as you seem to indicate...
And McLaren threw one away so it could just have easily been 9 to McLaren and 8 to Ferrari...

Surely no-one would claim that the result in China was about a Ferrari being a better car than a McLaren.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:42 (Ref:2093252)   #109
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever. Di motezemolu was wrong. It was the British not the English. Can't even get a simple thing like nationality right.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2093253)   #110
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
It really doesn't have anything to do with McLaren. Really. It does however have something to do with Autosport awards (McLaren - the racing car of the year) and yes, this context does justify the comment. The full quote is "The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. The best car is the one that wins, and that's the Ferrari."
I'm sorry. Montezemolo's statement is quite clear. It tarnishes the people of the nation of England. He cites that they "never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship". He didn't say McLaren, he didn't say the Autosport awards adjudicators, he said "The English". Now he may have meant something different, but if he did... the connection between his brain and his mouth wasn't working at that moment, because that's not what he said.

Its not the first derogatory comment Montezemolo has made this year and while one soundbite could be forgiven for being a gaffe... they're now starting to become more vile. Will his next one be some full-on racist slur ? What if he does stoop that low ? Will we still continue to find reasons to justify what he's said ?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 11:08 (Ref:2093264)   #111
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think we are confusing "race" with "nationality."

If I say: "Americans are obnoxious." I am stating an opinion about the inhabitants of a particular country, not a race of people. Saying "Caucasians are stupid." is a racial slur.

I would further note that Luca does not speak English as his primary language. Was the quote stated in Italian (which would leave it to the tender mercies of a translator) or English? Either way, I think you might find that many people, including those who should know better, often use "British" and "English" interchangeably, despite the utter simplicity of it all.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 12:01 (Ref:2093288)   #112
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I think we are confusing "race" with "nationality."

If I say: "Americans are obnoxious." I am stating an opinion about the inhabitants of a particular country, not a race of people. Saying "Caucasians are stupid." is a racial slur.

I would further note that Luca does not speak English as his primary language. Was the quote stated in Italian (which would leave it to the tender mercies of a translator) or English? Either way, I think you might find that many people, including those who should know better, often use "British" and "English" interchangeably, despite the utter simplicity of it all.
While I personally wouldn't view what Montezemolo said as racist, I would still see it as highly offensive to English people.

If you go by the strict definition of 'race', you'll find that a nation of people is actually classified as a race. In this case the English people can be referred to as the 'English race'. See below from Merriam Webster on-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster
Main Entry: 3race
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, generation, from Old Italian razza
Date: 1580
1: a breeding stock of animals
2 a: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
3 a: an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group b: breed c: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits
4obsolete : inherited temperament or disposition
5: distinctive flavor, taste, or strength
I think this has deviated quite a bit off the point though... which was that Montezemolo made an offensive remark that's hard, if not impossible, to justify.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:19 (Ref:2093333)   #113
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a mess for nothing....

-LdM surely didn't refer to the whole English people; it doesn't take a genius to analyse his quote in the right context

-Ferrari won the WDC and WCC, nonetheless an English jury, based on a popular poll within the English fans, unsurprisingly declared an English chassis better than Ferrari

-Ferrari boss unsurprisingly said it's an unfair judgement

AND SO WHAT?

Aren't the English fans free to vote for their homecountry leading squad?

Isn't LdM free to say he diasgrees?

Ultimately, via this all-but-nice interview, LdM honoured this Award, telling the motorsport world that Ferrari wanted it so bad.

If I was LdM my reaction would have been: "Who cares?"
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2093339)   #114
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
And McLaren threw one away so it could just have easily been 9 to McLaren and 8 to Ferrari...

Surely no-one would claim that the result in China was about a Ferrari being a better car than a McLaren.
true, but the results stand as they are....we are also not going into minute detail to search for the reasons as to why Ferrari did not win some other races...
I bet if Quattroruote had made a similar survey the Ferrari would have ended on top, but because very few forum members here can read Italian, it would not have caused any uproar...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2093342)   #115
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
true, but the results stand as they are....we are also not going into minute detail to search for the reasons as to why Ferrari did not win some other races...
I bet if Quattroruote had made a similar survey the Ferrari would have ended on top, but because very few forum members here can read Italian, it would not have caused any uproar...
I don't think Hamilton chucking the car off was a minute detail!

Results in the championships don't just reflect the car performance though, do they? There is the performance of the driver and the rest of the team to consider also in winning the championship. The judgement of which car is best or better is a different matter.

I guess what I am saying is they were both great cars with not much performance difference between them. One of the reasons is should have been a great season!

Last edited by phoenix; 21 Dec 2007 at 13:32.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2093347)   #116
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sigh........I am so glad to have left the whole sorry pathetic category to be consigned to my history. The past few days posts in here have confirmed this to be the right decision for the time being.

I sincerely hope that justice is one day done in terms of the relative punishments upon McLaren and Renault.

And I hope one day team bosses and forum members alike can be spared unpleasant spats like these recently.

No F1 team is angelic and anyone who says otherwise is lying or severely deluded.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 13:52 (Ref:2093351)   #117
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I don't think Hamilton chucking the car off was a minute detail!
no, that was a blatant team/driver error...some of which may have been committed also by Ferrari when they lost one of the races...
but it may also help to look at the qualifying figures, where Ferrari scored 9 poles and McLaren 8....
Old 21 Dec 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2093364)   #118
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
no, that was a blatant team/driver error...some of which may have been committed also by Ferrari when they lost one of the races...
but it may also help to look at the qualifying figures, where Ferrari scored 9 poles and McLaren 8....
Ferrari make mistakes?

How many non-finishes each (without crashes) ?

Last edited by phoenix; 21 Dec 2007 at 14:28.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2093368)   #119
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Ferrari make mistakes?
why are you asking that question in such a strange way? Did I ever indicate anywhere that they do not make them? Do you automatically assume that anyone who does question anything about McLaren is a Ferrari fanboy? Mistakes can also be made during pit stops, by driver error etc.....the fact (and ultimate result) remains that a Ferrari won most poles and a Ferrari won most races....whether that is a reason or not to call it the best car of the year is another matter, but it should certainly not be dismissed when calling the McLaren the best car

Last edited by henk4; 21 Dec 2007 at 14:47.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 15:14 (Ref:2093374)   #120
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Ferrari boss unsurprisingly said it's an unfair judgement
But it's NOT an unfair judgement! When you have two cars so closely matched, it could go either way. And the vote went McLaren's way. This does not mean that English fans are unsporting. Can you not see this?

Quote:
Aren't the English fans free to vote for their homecountry leading squad?
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
Isn't LdM free to say he diasgrees?
Yes, indeed. But he went further than that and insulted English people for voting McLaren as the car of the year.

Quote:
If I was LdM my reaction would have been: "Who cares?"
A "who cares?" reaction would have been a quite understandable one seeing as Ferrari won both championships in the end. But he chose the moment to be petty and have a very insulting dig at English fans for some reason.

Quote:
One of the reasons is should have been a great season!
It was a great season on track.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:00 (Ref:2093392)   #121
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
why are you asking that question in such a strange way? Did I ever indicate anywhere that they do not make them? Do you automatically assume that anyone who does question anything about McLaren is a Ferrari fanboy? Mistakes can also be made during pit stops, by driver error etc.....the fact (and ultimate result) remains that a Ferrari won most poles and a Ferrari won most races....whether that is a reason or not to call it the best car of the year is another matter, but it should certainly not be dismissed when calling the McLaren the best car
I simply asked a question - why do you think it was asked in a strange way?

I completely agree with you. I try not to assume anything - my experience of life tells me that assumptions are dangerous to make. Like there is no way of knowing why the voting went in favour of the McLaren. Maybe the voters were influenced by the fact that McLaren didn't have one DNF for mechanical or technical reasons all season and Ferrari had 3 such DNFs - but who knows?

Last edited by phoenix; 21 Dec 2007 at 16:03.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2093394)   #122
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Erm...how does that context justify the comment? How exactly does McLaren winning an Autosport award make everybody in England unsporting? It's a ridiculous comment to make, and any ordinary person would be ashamed of themselves, but I don't think di Montezemolo has any shame.
Agreed.

LdM just trying to stir up as usual, a bad winner as well as a poor loser.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:30 (Ref:2093405)   #123
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I simply asked a question - why do you think it was asked in a strange way?

I completely agree with you. I try not to assume anything - my experience of life tells me that assumptions are dangerous to make. Like there is no way of knowing why the voting went in favour of the McLaren. Maybe the voters were influenced by the fact that McLaren didn't have one DNF for mechanical or technical reasons all season and Ferrari had 3 such DNFs - but who knows?
I liked your unedited reply much better
Old 21 Dec 2007, 18:43 (Ref:2093468)   #124
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's also highly likely that many voted for McLaren because they felt they'd been harshly treated.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 18:48 (Ref:2093472)   #125
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
It's also highly likely that many voted for McLaren because they felt they'd been harshly treated.
and the voting took place before the infamous apology letter
Closed Thread