Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 31 Mar 2008, 05:59 (Ref:2165818)   #51
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Horrible news. I don't think anymore can be said than what is written here already.

My thoughts and sympathies to those close to David and Richard.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2165824)   #52
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sad news, both were two big names in touring car world. My most sincere condolences. RIP.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2165828)   #53
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elaine and I wish to extend our condolences to the families of 2 real gentlemen.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2165836)   #54
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rip

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Mar 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2165840)   #55
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Read this very sad news, in the paper, on the way to work.
Very sad news about David Leslie and Richard Lloyd. Pilot Mike Roberts also perished along with two others, yet to be named.
May they all Rest in Peace and my deepest sympathy to their friends and families
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2165859)   #56
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Two icons gone very sad.
R.I.P all victims!
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2165860)   #57
snatchman
Rookie

snatchman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news i met David several years ago when he was racing the primera in the btcc and all i can say is how nice he was laughing and joking after falling off into the kitty litter. Iwould just like to pass on my condolences to the family and friends of all those involved may they all RIP.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2165863)   #58
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2165867)   #59
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie - A Hero. i cant seem to find any other words. im gutted. RIP
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2165870)   #60
rotorboy
Rookie

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
rotorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely tragic, the loss to the motorsport comunity cannot be put into words. RIP David and Richard, you will be truly missed.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2165876)   #61
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the pleasure of meeting David on a number of occasions and he always struck me as a great down to earth bloke. It is indeed a very sad day.

That snowy Silverstone Britcar race will now stick in my mind for both the weather and the fact that I saw David's last race, and a win at that!

Richard was a legend in the world of touring cars and sports cars, he always seemed to popup with a new project just when you thought he had disappeared from motorracing!

They will both be greatly missed.

My condolences go out the their families.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2165884)   #62
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad news
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2165888)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's all been said above so I'd just like to add my condolences to the families and friends of all those who died in this crash. I will miss David, especially as I remember him from his early F3 days. Richard was a legend in his own lifetime and will be sorely missed by the sport.

RIP.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2165894)   #64
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
What!

Many my heart goes to the families of Mr. Lesile and Mr Lloyd.....

Wow, that is shocking, I was just watching the WTCC from Curitiba the other day.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2165895)   #65
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can only echo the words of all the above posters. Nothing more can be added.

Another 2 gentlemen lost to the track in the sky. Thanks for the memories.

RIP
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2165897)   #66
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing I can say that hasn't aleady been said. They were both great enthusiasts, had a good understanding and time for those of us involved in the 'our side' of the sport and were both gentlemen - an increasing rare commodity in this day and age. They will both be missed
RIP and thoughts are with their families and friends
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2165904)   #67
Antoine
Rookie

England
Witham, Essex
Antoine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am in total shock.
Thoughts go out to family and friends.
RIP
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2165907)   #68
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to hear this news. I didn't know David although I would occasionally see him out and about, living as he did just outside Banbury. I worked for Richard for several years, both for his Northern Engravings and Frazero companies, also I was involved in the modelling of the Audi LM coupe and had the chance to get to know both he and his colleagues. A great shame, my best wishes to both families.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2165908)   #69
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocking news. I still cant believe it. A black day for British and indeed worldwide motorsport. RIP guys
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2165911)   #70
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A sad loss,I never encountered David Leslie in the flesh but I know several people that worked with him and every one has remarked on what a nice bloke he was in addition to being a good driver.Richard Lloyd has left behind quite a record of achievement and it is a great pity that he has not had the chance to add to it with the GT3 project.Condolences to their families and friends and indeed to those of the other occupants of the plane.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2165915)   #71
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My heartfelt condolences to David's family and everyone affected by this horrible tragedy. I have had the pleasure of David's company on a number of occasions and can echo everyone's comments of him being a true gent. He always had time for everyone and was a big supporter of the marshals - he will be truely missed. RIP.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2165925)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
David was a top bloke who was always willing to give of his time and offer his help and experience where possible. Not only that but he was a bloody good driver. Had the pleasure of his company at an event a few years ago, it left a big impression on me.

RIP David.

I always think of BTCC Akai VW's, Audi's and Group C Canon Porsches when the name Richard Lloyd crops up. His cars were always immaculate and competitive. Let's hope the GT3 XKR8 Jaguar does well in his memory!!

Last edited by chunterer; 31 Mar 2008 at 09:03.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2165941)   #73
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP David,Richard and not to forget the other 3 victims of this awful tragedy
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2165949)   #74
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the MSA

MSA pays tribute to David Leslie and Richard Lloyd following Sunday's air crash in which it is believed that they were among five people killed:

"David Leslie was a hugely popular figure in almost every formula of motor racing in Britain and had been a member of the MSA's Safety Advisory Panel for the last four years. His long and successful driving career had not yet come to an end, but he was always keen to use his experience to help younger drivers coming through the sport. Just this week, he had been involved in selecting the most promising young talent in the UK to join the MSA's British Race Elite scheme.

"Richard Lloyd was equally well regarded throughout the sport. Having been a successful driver, it was as a team manager and owner that Richard really made his name, working with some of the best drivers in the world and winning numerous titles. But the pinnacle of his achievements surely came with the Le Mans-winning Bentley team in 2003, which was a great success for British motor sport.

"They were both lovely, gentle people and the entire motor sport community will be shocked and saddened by this tragic news. Our thoughts and prayers are with the five families at this time."

Colin Hilton

Chief Executive

Motor Sports Association

Editor's notes:

David Leslie (1953-2008)

David Leslie began his career in single seaters, winning the 1977 Formula Ford and 1979 F2000 titles. After spells in F3, sportscars and Thunder Saloons, he found a regular home in the British Touring Car Championship. He was one of the BTCC's most consistent and popular figures, winning many races and finishing as runner up in the series in 1999. In recent years, David had enjoyed a hugely successful period of sportscar and endurance racing, although he had become almost as well known for his insightful TV commentary on Eurosport. He leaves a wife, Jane, and two sons.

Richard Lloyd (1945-2008)

Richard Lloyd's motorsport career spans over thirty years, beginning as a driver in the 1970s (British Saloon Car Class Champion three years running) before combining his duties behind the wheel with team management and team ownership. In 1976 he established GTi Engineering which changed its name in the early 1980s to the eponymous Richard Lloyd Racing and quickly became a race-winning team in the World Sportscar Championship, working alongside drivers such as Jan Lammers, Jonathan Palmer, Keke Rosberg and Damon Hill. Second place at Le Mans was the highlight of the 1980s, then Lloyd's operation claimed the BTCC title with Audi in 1996. Under the new name of Apex motorsport, Lloyd managed Bentley's victory at Le Mans in 2003 and was currently spearheading Jaguar's FIA GT3 XKR programme. He leaves a wife, Philippa, and three daughters.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2165951)   #75
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely shocking. I knew David since 1977. He was racing his Royale RP24 in FF back then (the one he restored to race in the WHT in recent years), sponsored by Allan McNish's father. David lived in Carlisle and every Friday night would hook up the trailer on the back of the camper van and head off to a track, sometimes two circuits in a weekend and return to Carlisle Sunday night ready for work Monday. It did not matter if it was Brands one weekend and Thruxton the next, he knew the M6 very well indeed! Most recall his relatively modern career in the BTCC, however don't forget he was a proper good old fashioned racing driver who came up the traditional way through karting to single seaters. He was stunning in single seaters, a regular winner in FF, 2nd in the festival, won the FF2000 Championship, stunned Ayrton Senna to put the under- financed and not yet sorted F3 Magnum on pole at Silverstone in '83, won in F.Atlantic and brilliant in sportscars. Already a winner this season in Britcar over Easter.

Richard too has done an incredible amount for the British motor racing scene. I never met him, but have known of him most of my life. The first time I saw him he was racing his 'Gold Seal' modsports Triumph Spitfire at Snett in 1968.

What a terrible loss. RIP Gentlemen.