Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2165952)   #76
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both were real gentlemen and great racers the sport will be much poorer without them.
RIP
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2165978)   #77
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to add my condolences to the families of all those in the crash, David and Richard were know to all of us and along with the three others who it is believed are mechanics or engineers are in our thoughts.

These things come on the news every now and then like Graham Hill and Colin McRae and your heart just sinks when you realise that the people involved are know to you either directly or indirectly, very sad for all concerned
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2165985)   #78
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a Sad Loss....

Such a sad loss..... David raced with us at GTS with Harry in the Britcar series - we are all devasted at this tragic news which has taken such a close friend and true gentleman from us and the racing fraternity. - from ALL the Team at GTS Motorsport...

On a personal note, David was one of the kindest men i have ever met, he spent time with me in my first races offering his advice, guidance and support. He was brave enough to share my car with me at the Silverstone Classic and was due to do the same again this year.... He touched a special place in my heart that i will treasure forever.... I am very proud to have known him and his family.. My thoughts are with Jane and the boys..
- God Bless - from Roz Shaw
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2165995)   #79
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two sad losses to British motorsport. The sad pattern of motorsport figures and aviation crashes continues. My condolances to their families and friends.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2166003)   #80
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can only add to the comments

Two men with motorsport and racing at their core, and two men who managed to take on and beat the very best in thier time.

Very sad news for all concerned
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2166019)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield
If i can just offer my thoughts here, we were at home with the odd glass or two to finish a super day then Marcus called with the sad news. David Leslie was simply an ace bloke, I first met him when I worked for Eddie Jordan and ran David in the RT3, he was down to earth, practical and stunningly quick. From then on whenever our paths crossed he was always interested and interesting, always keen to share the latest news and hear yours. Geoff Wyatt who works with us was his mechanic in his all conquering F2000 season and says the same, David never changed. Simply put, we raised our glasses to one of motorsports good guys........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower
Absolutely agree on those comments, David was one of those types who would always find the time for a chat.Richard was pretty much the same, if slightly reserved until he got to know you, but then he was always game for a bit of banter.
Both the above posts copied from a thread in the Historics forum.

RIP David and Richard, and to the three others lost in this tragedy.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2166030)   #82
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David lived in the next village and was often seen around so I know this terrible loss will be felt locally. I met David on a few occasions sometimes in the local doctors or the post office etc, he spent a day marshalling with us at Thruxton which I know he enjoyed and like some many others I recall him in the 70's travelling to and from Carlisle. I can only add my condolences not only to him, Richard and all those who perished in this awful accident but also to all those families involved as well. RIP - Bladders
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2166031)   #83
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad day indeed. Condolences and sympathy to all families. The world is a poorer place.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2166062)   #84
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got to meet David a few times through working for team dfr.

Have to say he was a true gentleman and had time for anyone.

Condolences to David's wife, children, "Father" Leslie and David's Stepmum.

RIP David
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2166064)   #85
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm a bit stunned.
What is it with plane crashes at the moment?
Mcrae, then (nearly) Richards, a few years ago Steve Hislop and now this

I saw David on Saturday and he was jovial and cheery. When i was trying to take a candid "team in conversation" picture of him and his crew, and he ended up doing a cheeky pose in front of the car. Sadly, the picture didn't turn out too well, but I don't think I'll regret having seen him race a few times.

And Richard Lloyd and his Porsches will always be remembered- I'm fairly confident in saying that 1990 they finished 3rd at Le Mans with Tiff Needell and (ex David Leslie teammate) Anthony Reid, amongst other stuff.

A sad loss
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2166067)   #86
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Terrible news.

Heartfelt condolences to the families of all involved.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2166068)   #87
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Shoot. I last saw Mr. Leslie in the pits at the Silverstone Britcar.
He had an impish grin, ducking and weaving as Minime tried to get his picture. Then he posed.

I don't think a word was exchanged, but a lot of good humour was flowing.
At least he won his last race.

RIP David.

Richard Lloyd. I have 3 1/43 scale models in the office at home.
One's a Golf GTi, another is the Canon 956... Nuff said?

RIP guys.

My sincere condolences to all affected by this loss.

TTG
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2166070)   #88
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad day for motorsport.

R.I.P. David
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2166074)   #89
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2166080)   #90
Johnny1lap
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Johnny1lap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P David and Richard.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2166103)   #91
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard I only knew by reputation, and those beautiful cars. David I was privileged to meet a few times, mostly when whatever he was driving had just failed him and he chose to remain with us on the marshal's post. On every occasion he was unfailingly polite and charming, giving insightful opinions of how the race was progressing. To both of their families, and to the families of the other three unfortunate victims, I can only offer my sincerest condolences. R.I.P.

Gerry
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2166115)   #92
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news, both great guys. My condolences to their families and also the families of the others who were killed on board. Also lets breath a sigh of relief that due to the skill of the pilot a much larger accident involving people on the ground was avoided and also that the house was empty.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2166121)   #93
Ockside
Rookie

Ockside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocking news! It was only last week when I saw David in the BRDC Clubhouse at Silverstone where he later went on to win the first round of the Britcar.

David is also a lecture of mind at Swansea Metropolitan University teaching BSc Motorsport Management. He was a good lecturer and gave myself and the other students a great insight into the industry.

My heart goes out to David and Richards family and the other who lost their lives in the accident.

Patrick

Last edited by Ockside; 31 Mar 2008 at 12:34.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2166137)   #94
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A very sad time for all concerned. Its ironic that they both were killed by something out of their control (as others have) David always had time for a chat regardless of what he was doing . This is a double whammy for me as a friend that runs my local recording studio was also killed on Saturday !
RIP.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Mar 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2166148)   #95
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A statement from the BTCC website, from Alan Gow

Quote:
“It was my privilege to know both David and Richard, which began during their involvement in the BTCC and continued throughout the ensuing years.

“David of course was a great competitor within the BTCC for many years - always exciting to watch, fiercely competitive and incredibly passionate about his sport.

“Richard I never knew as a driver, but as the team owner of Audi Sport UK – and he was a thoroughly likeable person, of real integrity and determination.

“The BTCC is a close-knit community and we mourn the tragic loss of both David and Richard. However our sense of loss is nothing compared to those of their families and our thoughts go out to them at this terrible time.”
Old 31 Mar 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2166159)   #96
tcb
Rookie

England
lancs
tcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
terrible news I would like to send condolences to all family of those killed
from every marshall in the Bentley Drivers Club.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2166165)   #97
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Words fail me.

Both Gentlemen and fantastic ambassadors for motorsport.

A truly monumental loss.

Rip David and Richard.

The Motorsport world mourns for two super people so cruely ripped from this existance.

Old 31 Mar 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2166172)   #98
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only knew Richard by reputation, but I had the opportunity to speak to David several times over the years, and he was one of the most personable and approachable drivers I have ever met. A truly sad loss both for the motorsport world and for their respective familes.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2166189)   #99
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
News I never expected to wake to this morning. Just as shocking as it is saddening. Condolences to all who knew Richard or David well - they will be so missed in the sport.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2166190)   #100
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't know if it has already been posted or not but let's not forget that race engineer Christopher Allarton has been named as the third passenger killed in this crash.