Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 1 Apr 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2166859)   #126
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sentiments are exactly as Paul said. Motorsport has lost another truly nice guy. My thoughts are with the families and friends of all those who lost their lives.

R.I.P.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2166941)   #127
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I don't know if it has already been posted or not but let's not forget that race engineer Christopher Allarton has been named as the third passenger killed in this crash.
Thats another sad aspect to this story. Christopher just starting his dream job at Apex...then this!...RIP
Old 1 Apr 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2166975)   #128
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really sad tale for all involved, all SMRC members will miss Leslie greatly. Took the following picture on the pitwall on Sunday during the warm up for the Scottish Saloons and Sportscars - it's a 1996 Motorsports Developments Honda Accord Super Tourer of the sort Leslie drove 12 years ago, now in the hands of Stewart Whyte. It was a little bittersweet to see the car at the track and to then find out David had died later in the day.

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0788wt6.jpg
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2166983)   #129
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extremely sad; both David and Richard were amongst the most successful and nicest people in motorsports. RIP
Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2166995)   #130
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Awful, awful news. Scottish Motorsport took a very hard hit when Colin passed away and it's happening all over again.

May all of the victims of this accident rest in piece.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2167013)   #131
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never met him, but then I don't think that was necessary in his case. He was clearly such an intelligent, well grounded, very nice and fantastically fast racing driver. He loved the cars, the circuits and the racing. I remember seeing him at Pembrey wringing the neck of the EE Cavalier in a way unlike anyone else out there. His skill stood out so brightly to me that day, but I suspect he was always like that.

The class of the field. In every respect. RIP.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2167024)   #132
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a shame, I met David Leslie a couple of times, he was one of the most friendly top drivers I ever met, happy to pose for photos and give me autographs.

RIP.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2167059)   #133
hawkenr
Racer

United Kingdom
Walton-on-Thames
hawkenr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An absolute tragedy for the motorsport world and my thoughts are with the families of the victims.

David Leslie drove my car at some point in 97/98.

Very sad.

Richard
Old 1 Apr 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2167069)   #134
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will be missed

David Leslie was one of the mst engaging people to talk to. Motor Sport has lost one of the Good Guys, he will be missed

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 1 Apr 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2167103)   #135
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awful news. David was a great mentor and driver and well I would think that everyone in the motorsport world will miss him.

RIP
Old 1 Apr 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2167114)   #136
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice tribute to Richard Lloyd by Jonathan Palmer on the motosportvision website, link below.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/br...sp?NewsID=3617
Old 1 Apr 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2167115)   #137
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news, I can only really remember him for his BTCC drives, great driver!

I saw the plane crash on the news here in Holland yesterday, but no mention was made about who were inside, I only read just now it were these guys. Two guys who certainly helped many people (including Bentley) to stardom...

RIP
Old 1 Apr 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2167274)   #138
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope that someone will pass all these tributes on to the families of those concerned.

We didn't know Richard but were obviously impressed by his achievements.

We may have come across Christopher at Formula Student, as he was involved with the Coventry car. If that body of students is anything to go by then he was a well focused and polite young man who should have had a golden future in front of him. Sincere condolences to his family and girlfriend.

David - didn't know him well but every time we met him he was a true gent.

God bless each.

Shelagh & Bill
Old 1 Apr 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2167278)   #139
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't follow touring cars when David Leslie was driving, but I know a lot about him having watched many past seasons on video.

RIP both.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2167393)   #140
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
I hope that someone will pass all these tributes on to the families of those concerned.
I know that the families are being kept up to date with the enormous number of messages of sympathy and goodwill that are pouring in.

At dailysportscar we have literally been overwhelmed - Some of those we have so far received are posted in our headline pages - Together with full obituaries for both David and Richard, they are, of course, free to view
Old 2 Apr 2008, 01:17 (Ref:2167472)   #141
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sincere condolences to all involved, a great loss to the motorsport world.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2167770)   #142
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
farewell mr leslie

i had the pleasure of talking to him a couple of times a few years ago at donington on a race morning as he wondered around the paddock (how many top drivers do that)

very friendly bloke, top man, will be sadly missed.

i still have a nissan flag with his sig on somewhere.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2168051)   #143
gino
Racer

Germany
Berlin-Brandenburg
gino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP
Old 2 Apr 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2168166)   #144
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie
A very good racer one of the Touring Car drivers that really got me hooked when I was a nipper. Now marshalling and hooked even more than ever.

I never saw him 'live' as it were just on TV but would have loved to meet him.

Richard LLoyd
Never saw him driving but great achievements.

My thoughts to David's family and that of Richard's and others on the plane.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2169030)   #145
RichardScott
Rookie

RichardScott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to uni with Chris Allarton, such a nice genuine guy with a true passion for motorsport. Couldn't believe it when I heard. He was over the moon when he got the job, biggest oppurtunity of his life.

We are out racing on Saturday at Snetterton with one of the uni cars, he did a lot of work on the car and helped out at all the previous races so lets hope we make him proud.

RIP
Old 4 Apr 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2169498)   #146
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I first met David in the early eighties on a trip with Fiat when his dad owned a dealership.Since then our paths have crossed numerous times and without fail David always stopped and chatted.Nice man and will be sorely missed.My Condolances to all the family.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2170573)   #147
Graham Leslie
Rookie

Graham Leslie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGraham Leslie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dad

Thank you to all of you who have left such warm comments not only on this forum but across the internet, as well as the cards and letters of condolence we have received. I am not sure what he (dad) would have made of it all, but to us it is a help in what is a strange time for us. Please pass our thanks on to all those who have made their condolences as there are so many tributes to read and it has taken us some time to read them all.

Please do not be sad by his death, he didn’t do sad, celebrate his life after all it was very bright, colourful and action packed right up to the last second. Most of all please enjoy your racing over the weekend and forever, he did and that is why we go racing whatever the level.

I get the distinct impression that many of you are marshals for whom he gained a huge respect when he had a day with some of you at Thruxton when whoever marshalled with him had cleared the first drama before he was able to do much, I remember him coming and telling me about it.

He has gone in the best way possible, he can’t have felt a thing so never suffered, not many are that lucky. He didn’t want to grow old and as he always said, a job worth doing is worth doing well, and he certainly left with a bang.

David Leslie 9th November 1953 Dumfries - 30th March 2008 Farnbourgh

My Dad was and always will be my perfect dad, also my best friend and my hero. He may be dead but I will always look up and aspire to him. I may be the luckiest and certainly the proudest son in the world. I know I am biased but can you blame me.

Our family send our best wishes to Richards , Chris` and the pilots families who must be going through something similar to us our thoughts are with you.

Graham Leslie
Old 6 Apr 2008, 01:30 (Ref:2170811)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A fantastic post Graham. My heartfelt sympathies but as you say, your dad would wish us to remember his racing.

Thank you for posting.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2171232)   #149
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lovely post Graham, thank you for taking the time to come and respond to us at this incredibly difficult time for you.

You sound as nice a chap as your Dad was, I think you are right to be proud of him, I'm sure he was and still is equally proud of you.

Best wishes for the next few weeks.

Last edited by Piglet; 6 Apr 2008 at 14:00.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2171425)   #150
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superb message from David's son. Affected me possibly more than some , as I was the Observer at the Chicane when David spent a whole day with us! Brought his own overalls & gloves and kept up a constant dialogue with all the marshals on the post that day. He seemed to really want to know what made us tick and thanked us all personally at the end of the day. The frequent incidents did not have to be stage managed , so he got a good introduction!!
Great chap, sorely missed.