Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3585795)   #101
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't comment on the layout of the track...it seems suitably boring and built to F1 standards. However, was it just me or were a lot of others finding that the vast red-painted track areas tended to draw your eyes away from the tiny (relatively speaking) race cars?
Old 26 Oct 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3585809)   #102
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That was a tentative start, with Rosberg running wide.

Hamilton and Rosberg actually touched. Looks like Hamilton ran Rosberg wide.

hamilton-insists-he-did-nothing-wrong-at-turn-1

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ha...ong-at-turn-1/

Look at the angle in the picture and the line to the next corner!
Old 26 Oct 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3585813)   #103
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Nico wants to have a bit of a sulk after that race, I'm happy for him to do so. A bit petulant, but he'll be back to his usual personable self net weekend, so why worry?

I did think Lulu's first corner antics were excessive, and if it was in my gift, I would have penalised him for that. I understand there has to be a bit more leeway in the first few corners, but looking at Lulu's wheel movements during the on-board shot, I don't think he was understeering out of control.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3585818)   #104
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah it might not have been a tilke designed track, but it sure seemed like it with all the passing taking place after long-straight then tight almost hairpin turn, add DRS. It seems this is the only way we can get consistent overtakes in F1 these days. Compare that to the last Moto Gp race and it's rather depressing.

The guys could be a lot worse I suppose, throwing a hat isn't really a big deal. The Rossi/Marquez situation is a lot more volatile. But even then it's not like Nascar standards where competitors get into fights in front of the camera. They're all pretty mellow in F1 to be honest.

Vettel threw in an 'f' word the other year, that was pretty controversial.

Maybe they should be allowed to get away with a bit more attitude and personality without getting 5 digit fines. Though not to the extent of wrecking half the field on purpose and not getting any kind of penalty at all (hello Kevin Harvick).

Last edited by Razzzor; 26 Oct 2015 at 22:58.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3585827)   #105
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i thought this was a Tilke track?

i do really like the track though.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 00:13 (Ref:3585834)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
If Nico wants to have a bit of a sulk after that race, I'm happy for him to do so. A bit petulant, but he'll be back to his usual personable self net weekend, so why worry?

I did think Lulu's first corner antics were excessive, and if it was in my gift, I would have penalised him for that. I understand there has to be a bit more leeway in the first few corners, but looking at Lulu's wheel movements during the on-board shot, I don't think he was understeering out of control.
I suppose if anyone had been with the Mercedes F1 Team from the outset, like Nico was and then a couple of years down the road another driver comes along and not only once but twice, steals your thunder, they might be somewhat peeved.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 01:15 (Ref:3585843)   #107
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Both Nico and Lewis are fundamentally fine people.

It's just that sulkin' carry on looks dumb and embarrassing on TV.

I was doin' a bit of cringin' when I saw that stuff.

I must admit I didn't originally appreciate that Hamilton threw the cap first. I thought it was Rosberg who threw the cap first as a sign of aggression. That Hamilton threw it first changes the equation a little bit I suppose.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 01:32 (Ref:3585846)   #108
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Both Nico and Lewis are fundamentally fine people.

It's just that sulkin' carry on looks dumb and embarrassing on TV.

I was doin' a bit of cringin' when I saw that stuff.

I must admit I didn't originally appreciate that Hamilton threw the cap first. I thought it was Rosberg who threw the cap first as a sign of aggression. That Hamilton threw it first changes the equation a little bit I suppose.
I really don't think Lewis meant anything negative by doing that ..
These two guys have known each other for years and years ...
Old 27 Oct 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3585895)   #109
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I really don't think Lewis meant anything negative by doing that ..
These two guys have known each other for years and years ...
But it sure looked pathetic. More so than people quite reasonably venting their disappointment about it on a forum...

The BBC seemed to centre on Robert throwing the cap rather than the new wdc doing it first Lol! I guess that makes Hamilton look better than Rosberg, right?
Old 27 Oct 2015, 08:15 (Ref:3585901)   #110
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Hamilton got penalised for a similar incident with Massa a few years ago.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3586001)   #111
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
I think Hamilton got penalised for a similar incident with Massa a few years ago.

Hat-throwing or driving-into?

My take on the hat-throwing non-incident, admittedly based on only watching it once: Hamilton was standing by the table with the hats so he threw Rosberg the one intended for him. I didn't see any implied nastiness in that. Rosberg did though, and rather half-heartedly threw it back. Presumably he later had to pick it up off the floor and wear it.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3586004)   #112
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would this have happened had Pirelli been allowed to use their stetson (cowboy) hats for the podium? a basic rule of cowboy hats is you never touch another cowboys hat!

apparently BE (someone besides Pirelli anyways) had decided that Pirelli were overdoing the cultural thing as they used the Russian hats last race. fair point or another thing BE has sold to the Russians?

thats the real 'hatgate' if you ask me!
Old 27 Oct 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3586052)   #113
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
But it sure looked pathetic. More so than people quite reasonably venting their disappointment about it on a forum...

The BBC seemed to centre on Robert throwing the cap rather than the new wdc doing it first Lol! I guess that makes Hamilton look better than Rosberg, right?
First of all I don't think that cameras should be in that room at all the drivers just delivered a race that should be enough don't you think ?
Nico threw away the race, he was never going to win WDC this year was he let's be honest ...

Nico you are a great driver, but you are not as good as your team mate .
Old 27 Oct 2015, 20:45 (Ref:3586058)   #114
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Ouch! True! But hit him where it hurts!
I enjoy the emotion in that room, just a shame they don't turn the volume up a bit!
Old 28 Oct 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3586096)   #115
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah the room interaction is great, I actually keep watching for a bit longer instead of tuning out, because sometimes I can't be bothered sitting through the 2 ******* hours of national anthems they have to go through to get to the interviews so that's toilet break time.

There was no nastiness intended by Lewis throwing it to him... Lewis was ecstatic and in a completely different headspace. It was meant in a friendly way, "here's your hat buddy". Nico was obviously quite angry with himself, maybe angry for the turn 1 incident as well.
Old 28 Oct 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3586169)   #116
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first corner "incident" was a perfect demonstration of why Rosberg will never get the upper hand on Hamilton.

He should have either chopped right across Hamilton, forcing him to brake or back off, or let Hamilton slide up the inside and run wide and then retake him on the cut back.

Instead, he just allowed himself to get hung out to dry on the outside and then bleat that Hamilton didn't give him room.....how naive is that!

You can only defend your place from a track position of strength and that's not from high and wide on the outside........ a real rookie error.
Old 28 Oct 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3586301)   #117
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
The first corner "incident" was a perfect demonstration of why Rosberg will never get the upper hand on Hamilton.

He should have either chopped right across Hamilton, forcing him to brake or back off, or let Hamilton slide up the inside and run wide and then retake him on the cut back.

Instead, he just allowed himself to get hung out to dry on the outside and then bleat that Hamilton didn't give him room.....how naive is that!

You can only defend your place from a track position of strength and that's not from high and wide on the outside........ a real rookie error.
This is a very good point. Another option was for Nico to go even wider and slower, then take the undercut on the inside line.

To be honest though, he was probably completely dumbfounded that Lewis did what he did. When playing through all opening lap scenarios I don't think Lewis not attempting to take the corner would have been one of them.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3586331)   #118
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Ouch! True! But hit him where it hurts!
I enjoy the emotion in that room, just a shame they don't turn the volume up a bit!
I like seeing the guys immediately after in the weighing area as well as the waiting room as we get to see the emotion and interaction between drivers (or not!)
Old 29 Oct 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3586342)   #119
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes and it's fascinating to see because somehow in that room they seem to be largely immune from an awareness that the cameras are on them, so it leads to some great interactions before all the "thank you to the fans; you've been great" etc on the podium.

Remember Multi 21? I don't think Hatgate was quite as exciting, but it was good.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3586346)   #120
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quite true, as it also shows the essential difference between the two men, Rosberg cultured and well mannered, Hamilton raised in a somewhat lesser environment. The difference between private schools and Monaco, and state school and Stevenage.

Quote:
Give me the boy until he is seven, and I will show you the man
Hamilton is very much a product of his early upbringing, as is Rosberg. Different Worlds entirely.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 10:42 (Ref:3586362)   #121
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were other drivers from a "well manored" and wealthy upbringing that would have done just the same as HAM. While I by no means want to compare HAM to Senna (they have very little in common except that HAM is a fan of Senna and used to wear a yellow helmet), Senna would have done just the same.

It is not a question of upbringing but of "killer instinct". Make of the world killer what you want, but I have no way of better describing it.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3586369)   #122
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Quite true, as it also shows the essential difference between the two men, Rosberg cultured and well mannered, Hamilton raised in a somewhat lesser environment. The difference between private schools and Monaco, and state school and Stevenage.
lol, this is funny.

i went to private school with lewis when he just started in cars. he was retaking his gcses to cover for not being able to take them at his state school (or to cover some poor results because he couldn't be there much, i forget which). the school we were at was an international one and had all sorts of kids there in a wide age range doing an array of subject options. he was also cultured and well mannered, and knew how to handle himself around different people with different backgrounds. the world did not revolve around lewis, even though in reality a lot of the world he lived in clearly did. i would say there were about 3 different lewises at that age - the completely relaxed, non motorsport lewis around his close friends, the motorsport lewis, and the polite company lewis.

the thing about racing kids now is you're either a racer first, person second or a person first, racer second. lewis is that rare thing of being both at once, his family did a remarkable job of raising him as that. not all these tired state school stereotypes. the only thing i'd say is that i'm not sure lewis knew who the real lewis actually is until very recently.

afraid i don't know nico at all, but i've spent a lot of time in his area of the world, and trust me, it's not cultured, it's pretty shallow. the native culture is fantastic and rich, but the monegasque way of life is pretty one dimensional and there's not really what you'd call a cross section of society. what you do have is thanks to money, every single opportunity you could ever hope for. but lewis isn't the same person as nico, and wouldn't have gone any further with his education anyway. about the only thing that monaco does encourage is multilingualism, but that's pretty widespread amongst non-british drivers anyway.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3586371)   #123
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a bit late putting this up but here's some video of my F1 weekend. Despite the 3 days of rain, the delays getting to and from parking on the buses, and the entire spectator area of the track turning into a pit of mud, it was still worth it to see the race. This was the first time I saw them with the current engines and I was pleasantly surprised to hear the engines were louder than I thought they would be, still filling the air with the sounds of racing, especially the Hondas which were notably louder and more aggressive sounding than the other 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j876ZeVUTzs
Old 29 Oct 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3586393)   #124
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Thank you that is a cool little video that you made, I am glad you had a good time !!
Old 29 Oct 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3586426)   #125
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bella I understand that Ron Dennis put Lewis into a private school after an incident at the state school.

The quote from Rudyard Kipling (I believe) about "Give me the boy until seven ..." is still valid in Lewis's case.