Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Aug 2020, 10:37 (Ref:3998262)   #2451
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Fuel pressure?
good call . . .or dissolving float/needle if its running unleaded ?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3998268)   #2452
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The coil !!! Or main switch…
Old 27 Aug 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3998329)   #2453
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well rolling toad for 4 hours . Changed luminition and then coils and then dizzy s. The car ran fine then all of a sudden she missed . Car taco started playing up as well as the Dyno . We ended up having three very good runs and have decided to replace taco . Going to put a couple more earths on engine and check all wiring connection . Got very good power and she sounds sweet
Old 27 Aug 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3998333)   #2454
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We knew many issues on two E-Types because the taco and the MSD box didn't match very well. Adding some earths is what I'm doing on a so called modern car. May be its common on the forum, I remember Andy experiencing some troubles at Donny several weeks ago.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3998341)   #2455
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Check the wire runs as well as the connections?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3998345)   #2456
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I remember Andy experiencing some troubles at Donny several weeks ago.
Yes, and you fix one problem and another rears its ugly head! Didnt even get to qualy at Thruxton.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3998347)   #2457
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Ok all you brainy people, what is this car ? I know as it's actually in my workshop, and yes that is a twin plate cork clutch in amongst the pile of bits from it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	63851

Click image for larger version

Name:	car 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	63852
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Aug 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3998350)   #2458
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those front wings look odd. It looks like it should have cycle wings. So it may be a kit car from the 50s.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 16:59 (Ref:3998351)   #2459
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well rolling toad for 4 hours . Changed luminition and then coils and then dizzy s. The car ran fine then all of a sudden she missed . Car taco started playing up as well as the Dyno . We ended up having three very good runs and have decided to replace taco . Going to put a couple more earths on engine and check all wiring connection . Got very good power and she sounds sweet
Just go chronometric. Trust me - it's the future.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3998352)   #2460
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Those front wings look odd. It looks like it should have cycle wings. So it may be a kit car from the 50s.
No it was made in 1937 and by a famous maker (but not a famous car maker)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Aug 2020, 17:07 (Ref:3998353)   #2461
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_cars
Old 27 Aug 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3998362)   #2462
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks Peter.

I guess it will be one of these then, a front wheel drive Scout?
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...1937-bsa-scout
Old 27 Aug 2020, 18:00 (Ref:3998367)   #2463
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Luminition is usually very good , but one little problem it can get is very hard to spot .
The wires that go to the "eye " in the distributer can sometimes fray or even partially break due to the mechanical advance pulling or pushing on them . So well worth a check if you have a mysterious misfire .

Note , eye & control pack should be a matched pair .
Old 27 Aug 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3998370)   #2464
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Note , eye & control pack should be a matched pair .
Thank you, new to me. Good info.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3998372)   #2465
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thanks Peter.

I guess it will be one of these then, a front wheel drive Scout?
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...1937-bsa-scout
Yes it is a "BEEZA", the guy that want's to rebuild it has a major job on his hands as it is "completely" in pieces and I would doubt if everything is there that is needed. Obviously all the woodwork is no problem but all the engine parts and ancillaries are supposedly in the "boxes of bits"
Personally I wouldn't bother with things like this now and I would just find one ready to go at a half decent price as it will certainly be cheaper. I think that prices are going to tumble like the late 80s with the problems that are happening in the world. At the moment a complete running Scout is fetching between 12-23K depending on the quality.
Saying that I suppose it will save my mate from going crazy in his dotage and hopefully it will be rebuilt in the the coming years
Old 27 Aug 2020, 18:51 (Ref:3998373)   #2466
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thank you, new to me. Good info.
Can,t remember for sure ,[ it has been a while since I used one ] , but I think there was 2 different types , & the eye from 1 did not match with the control pack from the other .
Old 27 Aug 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3998375)   #2467
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always found the original large black Lumenition units to be more reliable than the later smaller silver units. Unfortunately the metal supported eyes of the original have a tendency to break causing all sorts of problems. The later plastic based one are more sturdy but are not compatible with the early units.

Pete Richards
Old 27 Aug 2020, 19:00 (Ref:3998377)   #2468
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Luminition is usually very good , but one little problem it can get is very hard to spot .
The wires that go to the "eye " in the distributer can sometimes fray or even partially break due to the mechanical advance pulling or pushing on them . So well worth a check if you have a mysterious misfire .

But the table that the eye is fitted to doesn't move, it's only the rotating part the moves with the bobweights. The distributors with vacuum advance fitted to road vehicles have a moving table that is for fuel economy and drivability.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 19:25 (Ref:3998382)   #2469
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
But the table that the eye is fitted to doesn't move, it's only the rotating part the moves with the bobweights. The distributors with vacuum advance fitted to road vehicles have a moving table that is for fuel economy and drivability.
I think you are right that the eye mounting plate only moves with a vacuum advance fitted .
But I can remember , way back , possible troubles with the wires going through the side of the distributor into the eye , so it is worth a look at if there is an odd misfire .
Old 28 Aug 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3998453)   #2470
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've never got on with electronic ignition, except on a LAmbretta. which is a simple sealed magnetic pick up as part of a magneto system. I'm sure good sytstems are out there, but most of whats widely available forold cars is crap.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 08:15 (Ref:3998456)   #2471
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Most of whats widely available forold cars is crap.
Agreed! And its not improving. We had a trigger for a V6 and the distance between magnets was not the same for all cylinders. Very hard to spot at first glance…
Old 29 Aug 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3998665)   #2472
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
This must be getting boring for you all . Did few laps this morning and still had a missfire after one lap but this time it seems like a HT lead missfire .We have just fitted a STACK taco . If it’s playing up then the towel in going in and I’m having a break .
Old 29 Aug 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3998670)   #2473
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Remember my problems at Thruxton were related to fuel.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3998700)   #2474
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Remember my problems at Thruxton were related to fuel.
We checked the fuel pressure and it has been tried at different numbers. It made no difference at all. I think we all agreed between 2.5 -3 psi is what is normal when running Weber side draughts. All through my racing career I have used 2.5psi and never had a problem
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3998715)   #2475
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Fuel quality then?