Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:45 (Ref:574964)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Imola - Boring race? Opinion of "New rules"?

After 2 exciting races (Australia, Brazil) I have to say I found Imola a bore-fest.

I do NOT think the new rules have added anything to the racing, I was dreading this race, saying to people that I know who like F1 "its going to be boring" and it was.

I partly put this down to the awful Imola track.

Your thoughts, are the rules better or worse?
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:47 (Ref:574967)   #2
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in all I say worse:

They robbed me of saturday-qualifying and didn't gain anything for raceday.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:50 (Ref:574970)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I already gave my opinion in "the race" thread. The race was great, one of the best lately. The rules stink on ice.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:50 (Ref:574973)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rules are good, Imola is a difficult track for passing. The race was actually quite interesting, but only strategy-wise. Last year there wasn't even strategy.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:00 (Ref:574980)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe it jsut looked worse than it was because the first three races were so exciting, but I found myself bored by mid-race. Once Michael was in front of Ralf it became an all-too-familiar story. Imola is always a dull race though, I wouldn't really miss it if it went.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:15 (Ref:574990)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola's been turned into garbage by the religious zeal of the FIA to santize circuits.

The new rules really didn't do much at all.

It was all down to the weather the first 3 races.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:39 (Ref:574996)   #7
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring as hell.
The only interesting part was about 4 laps from the end when Barras was catching Kimi, other than that.......YAWN.

Welcome back 2002.

Last edited by J.McClane; 20 Apr 2003 at 18:40.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:10 (Ref:575024)   #8
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
For me it was a great race! Sure the last half was a slight bit of a precesion. But we had 4 cars at the start all racing each other. It seems when TGF loses its great? When he wins its boring?

And all the 'exciting' races have been wet... so I propose teams carry a madatory tank of water to be dumped periodically during the race.

Its formula one people Either you love it, or you hate it

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:575034)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
The race was great, one of the best lately. The rules stink on ice.
You must have watched a different one to me then......

What was great about it?
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:30 (Ref:575055)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I found Imola a bore-fest"

Um... what race were you watching, my friend??!!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:32 (Ref:575057)   #11
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
What was great about it?
Um...nothing? It's so sad that people favorise this race when the previous one was amazing. It doesn't matter who wins as long as it's interesting and unpredictable.

But wait til 3rd August to see new rules on the dullest track in F1 history.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:43 (Ref:575073)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I just found the lack of passing dull.

If the track was slightly different (change tamburello / Villeneuve / tosa) the cars would be made to run with less wing then more chance of overtaking.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:52 (Ref:575084)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"lack of passing"

Again, what channel were you watching?? ITV1??

However, I agree that the track was SOOOOO much better pre-94, but frankly what were they supposed to do?? I think Villeneuve could be restored, allowing a real corker of an overtaking spot at Tosa. Not that it matters, I'm now certain that Imola will be dropped in favour of stupid stupid Bahrain or even more pointless Shanghai. A crime against the fans who aren't interested in the brand of cigs they smoke.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:53 (Ref:575086)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The race maybe wasn't as good as the previous 3 races this season, but it was certainly better than last years Imola bore-fest.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:03 (Ref:575098)   #15
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Cougar21
For me it was a great race! Sure the last half was a slight bit of a precesion. But we had 4 cars at the start all racing each other. It seems when TGF loses its great? When he wins its boring?

And all the 'exciting' races have been wet... so I propose teams carry a madatory tank of water to be dumped periodically during the race.

Its formula one people Either you love it, or you hate it
I totally agree with U. Schumacher won it, no-one was hurt so it's dull. With all the on-board coverage, Fisichella's and Rubens' heroics etc I found it quite interesting.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:07 (Ref:575103)   #16
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old E&D Ferrari was amazing but Senna's incident was one of many that have happened - Piquet, Berger... It had to be changed(not spoiled)
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:49 (Ref:575125)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I think we can all agree it didn't compare to the first 3 races of the season, but who really thought we'd have a season full of races like that?
I only listened the race on 5Live, so didn't get the pleasure of any onboard footage - and it sounded at least interesting and a point exciting. It's a fact that on the radio they can make an attempt at an overtake sound much more exciting - you can think they were wheel to wheel when really they didn't even get a nose alongside. Some nice battles for the lead at times, some nice battles for the podium the rest of the time, clever strategy - decent race!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 21:27 (Ref:575155)   #18
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i too was dreading this race, but at least i didnt give up watching this year like i did last. there was potential for excitement at the start with 4 cars close together, unfortunately the track is so **** nothing happened, i guess it would be interesting for those who like strategy, i noticed james allen saying what a fantastic race it was ............ roll on spain .......... oh wait, no!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:15 (Ref:575174)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Doh! Strategy!

I hate strategy.

Ban re-fueling, then we'll see James Allen squirm as he tries to find things to talk about other than strategy
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:18 (Ref:575178)   #20
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't think the race was THAT dull. We have been spoiled by the weather-induced excitement in Australia and Brazil.

We had an early fight for the lead, the McLarens were (sort of) surprising, Rubens did slip passed Ralf when he got the opportunity, and the cars were - Schuey apart - fairly close together. I know it wasn't a passing fest, but it was OK and I bet most here would have thought it was pretty good if it had happened last year.

As for the rules, I don't like:
-Qualifying on race fuel, though I don't mind the one-shot idea.
-The stupidly close points scoring.

Beyond this, I'd get rid of fuel stops, reduce downforce and ban (as the FIA intends) traction control, launch control and automatic gearboxes. I know this is the same old argument, but I watched a couple of 1990 and 1991 GPs recently and the lack of fuel stops - with only hard and soft compound tyres being available to promote pitstops - meant that the drivers were forced to race and allowed the viewer to see who was genuinely fast rather than which team had put more/less/the same fuel in than another.

Right, rant over. For now....
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:20 (Ref:575183)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just seen Monster's message - a much shorter way of putting it!! If James did run out of things to say then maybe he would do us all a favour and get another job!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:21 (Ref:575184)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe they should change the cars so that they are less aero dependent and can race. Other changes to the rules are just superficial.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:22 (Ref:575186)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The new rules had absolutely no effect on the running or outcome of the race.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 22:26 (Ref:575190)   #24
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to reality with a bump. Interesting? More so than staring at the telly switched off, but it's a marginal call.

I don't get how anyone considers the first few laps exciting racing. For sure, messers Schumacher (x 2), Barrichello and Montoya were keeping each other on their toes, but there was no real attempt at a pass. Barrichello's opportunistic move was down to a mistake from Ralf more than anything else. And I don't recall seeing any other on track passes.

Strategy can add something to races, but only when there is on track passing as well. Looks like the touring cars and superbikes are still going to offer the best racing this year after all. Humph.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 23:17 (Ref:575206)   #25
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first 3 races were great, this one was duller than a "Lighthouse Family" album..........and that is really dull.

But you can't have a F1 season with every single race being top notch. You have to expect a dull parade now and again......and thsi was such a parade.

BTW: The reson why iot was dull had nothing to do with the fact Shu won, it was dull cos nothing happened in it. I want to see racing when I watch a F1 RACE. I don't like to see races won in the pitlane.