Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:44 (Ref:433528)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sainz and the '98 WRC

I saw that Carlos Sainz lost the '98 WRC with an engine failure. But at which point in the British rally did it happen exactly? I thought it was on the very last stage And you thought Hakkinen in Spain 2001 was bad!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 04:43 (Ref:433708)   #2
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is the year that I'm thinking about, I think Makinen had already retired and was on his way back to Finland, convinced that Sainz would win the championship.... only to be told that Sainz had retired on the last stage (almost in sight of the end of the stage) and he (Makinen) was now WRC champion for 1998.

Found a link to the story.... it was 500m before the end of the last stage!!!!!!
http://www.worldrally.net/98/rac98.html

Last edited by alfasud; 21 Nov 2002 at 04:43.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 09:26 (Ref:433811)   #3
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it was a bizarre situation all round. Makinen had retired on one of the very first stages when he skidded on oil left by one of the Classic Rally cars which used the stages before and ripped the rear right corner off the Lancer.

He was all ready to go to the airport to fly home when news came through of Carlos & Luis' problem.

The footage of Carlos & Luis after the car packed in is one of the most heart-rendering in recent motorsport, particularly when Luis throws his helmet through the Corolla's rear screen in pure frustration.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 11:47 (Ref:433885)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Carlos' Corolla had obviously been suffering through the stage - it was the final stage of the rally, Margham, which finishes in the grounds of the country house.

I was there! It was on the final blast to the end of the stage, literally 200-300m from the end, almost exactly where McRae took an 'unusual' line the year before and flew by with a petrified (and thankfully frozen!) marshall stood between him and the road

Once he finished the stage, a message from Colin came over the tannoy - "That was too close for comfort - stand well back from there cos they'll all be taking that line!"
Old 22 Nov 2002, 00:12 (Ref:434358)   #5
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that Sainz had finished the stage, but the car/crew still had to check in at a further time control, after some road mileage. But the car was to go no further, and so, despite having completed all the stage mileage, they were out. Am I right?
Old 22 Nov 2002, 09:15 (Ref:434468)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
I thought that Sainz had finished the stage, but the car/crew still had to check in at a further time control, after some road mileage. But the car was to go no further, and so, despite having completed all the stage mileage, they were out. Am I right?
No, the car stopped on the stage, just short of the end. I'm surprised there's no pics / video of it in the net somewhere (or at least I haven;t found it yet)
Old 22 Nov 2002, 10:05 (Ref:434494)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember that, it was awful for Carlos, as I think over the course of the season he probably deserved the title more. Mansell 1986 F1 comes to mind as the only title loss that was quite as bad.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 00:12 (Ref:435587)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There went Carlos' 3rd title.
Makinen had made a mistake and had ripped up the right rear from his Lancer in the first day.
I still remember everything. Watching TV.

Moya: "Trata de arrancarlo Carlos! Trata de arrancarlo, por Dios!!" (Try to fire it up Carlos, try to start it up for God's sake!)

Moya: "No arranca Carlos?" (it doesn't fire up Carlos?)
and then expletives and cussing and kicks on the door and the helmet through the rear screen.

It was so cruel. Hakkinen's Spain '01 was just a race, but to lose a title just 500 mts away...