Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Nov 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1149178)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sainz crashes in Rally Oz Practice

From Fox Sports

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23770,00.html

Rally driver in hospital
November 9, 2004

A TELSTRA Rally Australia competitor was being airlifted to Perth this evening after an accident during a pre-event reconnaissance near Harvey in WA's south west.

Carlos Sainz, who was involved in the single car accident with Marc Marti, was expected to arrive by 5.20pm (WST) at Murdoch hospital in the RAC rescue helicopter, a spokeswoman said.

Sainz has said he wanted to continue the reconnaissance and complete the event before going into retirement at the end of the rally, Telstra Rally Australia said in a statement.

AAP

And todays update

Sainz cleared of injury
November 10, 2004

FORMER world rally champion Carlos Sainz was taken to a Perth hospital for a check-up after crashing today during a reconnaissance run for this weekend's Rally Australia.

The Spaniard and co-driver Marc Marti crashed near Harvey, south west of Perth, yesterday afternoon, but their Citroen teams said neither was injured.

Event officials insisted Sainz be taken by helicopter to hospital for tests and he was released this evening after a medical clearance.

Sainz said in a statement through rally headquarters that he planned to complete the reconnaissance today and race in what will be the 42-year-old's last event before retirement.

Sainz won the world title driving for Toyota in 1990 and 1992.

He was also runner-up four times and finished third five times in the WRC drivers' standings.

Since making his debut in 1987, he has won a record 26 events.

AAP
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1149477)   #2
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he alright to compete? I heard he has a neck injury.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1149503)   #3
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Youre joking he sounds like hes alright, really hope he can compeat its his last event!! it would be a great shame for him to go without a final chance!
Old 10 Nov 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1149657)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to hear that he's out of the hospital, hopefully he won't have any long term effect from this crash.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1149674)   #5
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately he didn't got the permission from the doctor to drive on this rally.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 11 Nov 2004, 01:55 (Ref:1150001)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Sainz forced off road
November 10, 2004

TWO-TIME world champion Carlos Sainz's career came to a premature end today after the Spaniard was forced out of the Rally of Australia.

Sainz had planned to retire after the season-ending event, which commences tomorrow, but a crash on a reconnaissance drive south of Perth on Tuesday with Citroen co-driver Marco Marti forced his early withdrawal.

The 42-year-old was spotted in a neck-brace today to protect a damaged disc in his spine and he was expected to fly out of Australia tomorrow.

"I don't want to take any risks," Sainz said.

"The doctor told me I've damaged a disc and that the slightest impact could have very serious consequences.

"I will not be at the start line."

It's a disappointing end for Sainz, won of the sport's all-time greats who won world titles in 1990 and 1992 after making his debut in Portugal back in 1987.

Sainz's Citroen teammate Sebastien Loeb has already wrapped up this year's world title heading into the final event of the season.

Loeb (108 points) has an unassailable lead over 2003 world champion Petter Solberg (82) and Estonian Markko Martin (79).

Frenchman Loeb can still earn a record-equalling sixth win in a season, while his Citroen team has wrapped up the manufacturer's title ahead of Ford and Subaru.

The 25-stage Rally of Australia opens with the super special 2.4km stage in the city of Perth tomorrow night and continues until Sunday, with stages set in rugged forest south of the city.

Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm, currently fifth in the standings, is hoping for his fourth win in Perth.

Gronholm won a hat-trick of titles from 2000-2002, but was forced to retire early from last year's event.

"It's one of my favourites and I have often gone very well here," he said.

"After finishing in second place in Spain (in the last round), where I wasn't expecting such a good result on what is a very specific rally, I would really like to score a fourth win in Australia.

"I am fired up at the idea of giving my team a chance to end the year with a top finish."

Solberg, who lost his world title after just one season at the top, is keen to finish the season on a high leading into 2005.

"It will be one hell of a fight I can tell you," the Norwegian said.

"It would be a good way to end the year, so I'm going to go for it - but somehow I don't think I'll be the only one doing that."

AAP, Agence France-Presse
Old 11 Nov 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1150139)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
A disappointing end to a great career for Sainz but at least he's OK.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1151261)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
what a shame Carlos Sainz missing his last rally.

I hope he enjoys retirment and thanks for the great memories Carlos.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1151265)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
what a shame Carlos Sainz missing his last rally.

I hope he enjoys retirment and thanks for the great memories Carlos.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 23:14 (Ref:1152026)   #10
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto

But lest his career finished in his home country.

Enjoy your retirment Carlos!!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 05:33 (Ref:1153675)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats a complete bummer! but its always better to be safe then sorry I would rather have a walking sainz that retires a race early though...