Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:04 (Ref:139283)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
adding oil at Le Mans in the past and present?

This question came up with a friend recently.

I thought that in the past at Le Mans there was a "no adding oil" regulation, or only so much per certain number of hours or something like that. Am I completely off-base with this? It seems to me that there were even wired shut oil caps to ensure this, with folks inspecting them to make sure there wasn't tampering.

Am I mixing this up with something else, and if not, when did this change, as nowadays don't they add oil if need be? I could certainly see the point of restricting adding oil to a leaking engine just to make it through to the end, whilst slowly leaving a trail around for the others to fall off on.

thanks,
David

Last edited by djb; 31 Aug 2001 at 22:08.