Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 4 May 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1906507)   #1
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting Tips?

Well, since my friends all went clubbing and I really couldn't be bothered anyway, decided to head to my local karting centre to do some laps for the first time there (I've Karted maybe like 10 times in really slow cars), and damn was it fun but also frustrating.

Initially I was really confident and though I'll beat all douchebags and went on my way, slowly getting confident with the kart, a few laps in though I steamed up though, I was driving, what I think was properly (figuring out the racing line, not sliding everywhere, slow in - fast in, break in straight line, only push on the accelerating when I know i won't have to lift until the next corner, etc) but I was being overtaken by everyone I don't think any of them are even close to pros either. So I started going for it sliding everywhere, maybe the worst idea, but I guess it got to me

Anyway at the end of 30 minutes, (I'm doing 15 next time, my arms hurt like hell and while driving home my car felt like it was floating on air) I got my lap sheet and out of 13 drivers I was only 9th. 1.5sec slower than the fastest guy there. But 9sec slower than the tracks' lap record!

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any tips for budding karters like myself who although probably won't ever go pro, just want to have fun but still beat the hell out of the amateurs

Cheers,
Old 5 May 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1907008)   #2
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi

Need more details chap, was that an indoor kart? what was the kart? if it was wait till you drive a proper race kart :-)
Old 5 May 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1907368)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being smooth with the application of throttle, brake, and turning will help too. Try not to snap and snatch at it, keep it as one fluid motion.
Old 6 May 2007, 04:18 (Ref:1907426)   #4
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
It was outdoor, at a place called Ace Karts in Melbourne.

This about as much as I know about the Karts: http://www.acekarts.com.au/karts_specs.php

It's the Super Kart.

Cheers.
Old 8 May 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1908815)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were the other 8 in front of you substantially lighter? Weight is a big factor is relatively slower hire karts. But also with 4 strokes keeping momentum up is key, no sliding!
Old 8 May 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1908976)   #6
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
I don't think so, I think it was fairly even in weight. So definitely follow the normal rules? Slow in, fast in, brake before the corner, turn in, accelerate when I won't need to lift until the next corner?

I guess it takes a while before I get up to speed, I just got frustrated so went all out, will be back next week hopefully and get in some proper laps.

Cheers guys.
Old 8 May 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1908989)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found when I jumped in a Prokart after having been racing Max for a few seasons that I was terrible. I actually came off the power too much, and tried to drive it like it actually had some power out of the corners. Its all about momentum - so fast in fast out really! Keep the the boot in but not to the extent you slide, just try and keep all the momentum up - the 4 stroke engine just doesnt pick up like a 2 stroke.