Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2017902)   #1
polyrokkit
Rookie

United Kingdom
polyrokkit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to get to pro

Hi all.
Been doing a fair bit of karting lately - using 4stroke hire karts - good for about 45mph

I was quick, but still 2.5 seconds behind the track records for fastest lap in the same karts, I know the performance differences between hire karts can vary your times by up to a second.

But even in a good kart I was 2 seconds behind - I keep my driving smooth, have a good knowledge of racing lines but my 16stone friend (ex karting pro!) still beat me like I was standing still!!! I still weigh a suitable 8.5stone!

Are there any special techniques for throttle/engine usage, or un-weighting the kart that can give you the extra edge? I really wanna know!!!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:51 (Ref:2018094)   #2
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to Ten-Tenths

One of the less obvious, but most effective, ways to gain time in karts is to be aggressive with the brakes. As the rear axle is fixed (no differential, so both rear wheels are always turning at the same speed), the only way to turn a kart is to get the inside rear wheel either sliding or off the ground. The best way to do either of these things, particularly at the relatively low speed of the karts you’re using, is to destabilise the rear by momentarily locking the brakes. This works even better if the lock-up is combined with the initial turn-in. With indoor corporate karts this momentary lock of the brakes is more than enough to slow you down sufficiently for the corner, and is only necessary to get the break the forward inertia and get the front wheels pointing at the apex, after which you can usually get straight back on the throttle.

A word of warning—as this process involves deliberately provoking the kart into instability, you have to be quick with the opposite lock, and it does take some practice to get right; don’t worry if you find yourself spinning on the way into corners a fair bit at first. Ultimately, you want to be able to provoke the kart just enough so that you can get through the corner with the wheel held in the straight-ahead position after the initial turn-in; if you're getting too much oversteer, and having to turn away from the corner to correct it, you need to be a bit less agressive on turn-in.

Sounds complicated, but is worth the effort and practice. Good luck—and let us know how you get on.