Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2002, 08:41 (Ref:360969)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button vs. Alonso

Got back from hols just in time to sit down for the race - man, I thought swimming in the sea for two weeks was boring!

Quick points / questions on the Button, Alonso transition.

With Button blowing potential constructors points with a stupid mistake on the grass, what's to stop Renault giving Alonso the seat before the end of the season?

Thoughts / questions.

1. Does Button contractually have the right to drive?
2. Even though Button is a 'professional' his heart can't be fully in it with the BAR move on the way - he's only human.
3. Alonso could do with race experience to get the best start in 2003.
4. What advantages are there in keeping Button in, when Alonso appears to be quick from recent testing? He could get points too!
5. If you were really mean, and of course Flavver could not be accused of this (!), a lack of races for Button could effect BAR.

Just wondered!

[Edited the title. R.]

Last edited by R; 19 Aug 2002 at 09:11.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 08:51 (Ref:360976)   #2
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Renault really wanted to win - they would get rid of both Button and Trulli - and hire Villeneuve and partner him with Alonso. Button may be a question mark as a top line driver but so is Trulli. Trulli has really disappointed this season.

As far as Alonso goes, he has talent and he deserves a shot. But it would not be right to put him in the car this season - Button has a contract like it or not - he should at least see out the season before going on to BAR.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:08 (Ref:360988)   #3
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Trulli has disappointed in nearly every season. Did you see the in-car action from the 1st lap? What a girl!!! (No offence to any of the girls on this forum)
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:09 (Ref:360989)   #4
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Trulli has really disappointed this season.
I agree. I can't imagine that he or the Renault bods will be happy if he remains where he currently is in the driver's list at the end of the season - with no more points.

I said a few months ago on here somewhere that I would have had Button and Alonso next year!

Regarding whether Button 'should' drive out the season, I'm with you - it's the 'decent' thing to do - but then that's probably why I'm not running an F1 team and just dreaming I was!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:17 (Ref:360996)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Re: Button vs. Alonso

[Edited the title. R.] [/B][/QUOTE]
No probs! It's my journalistic side coming out - good headlines sell 'threads'. 'Engineers' style headline accepted!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:26 (Ref:361003)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Trulli was so disappointing, and never even looked like scoring any points in the race. At least Button looked likely to score somthing until his spin.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 14:03 (Ref:361263)   #7
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault's image would plummet if they dropped Button. It would be the worst thing imaginable marketing-wise!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:09 (Ref:361592)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button looked good against RS which is not that difficult to do. He then was up against one of the best in the business and I think his true potential was not shown because he left a good team to race at the back of the pack. Also, who can beat GF?

Renault would not break their contract with JB. He has been the better of he drivers this year. One mistake does not constitute failure. At least he does not say there was oil on the track and he handles pressure pretty well.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:25 (Ref:361612)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Why replace Jenson with Alonso? Yes, Jenson made a mistake but he was running in front of his "more illustrious" team mate at the time, and Trulli didn't do anything of note all race either.

With regards to JV coming in and pushing the team forward, granted, he can get the job done in a good car, but seems not to be able to develop cars, so i don't think Renault would improve much with him there, and the last and most important thing, he's burnt his bridges with Renault!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:44 (Ref:361636)   #10
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Why replace Jenson with Alonso? Yes, Jenson made a mistake but he was running in front of his "more illustrious" team mate at the time, and Trulli didn't do anything of note all race either.

Totally agree here, if a driver has the guts to stand up and say "yep sorry my mistake" then Button will only become a stronger character.
The topic should centre more on Renault replacing Trulli, good qualifyer dreadful racer as seen at the start, Button goes round the outside of him and then goes wheel to wheel with Montoya and takes him.
Ok Button made a mistake but he also proved the point again that he is a better racer than Trulli and this equals World Champion points.
I cant believe they dropped Button over Trulli, the mistake of the year and Trulli wont last a full season next year in my view.

Guy
Old 20 Aug 2002, 02:26 (Ref:361774)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli was only two cars behind Button and running a quicker pace. They were both under huge pressure from the Macs - and Button threw it off the road, Trulli didn't.

As for the 1st corner, he may have appeared to be a bit cautious, but I have never seen someone being cautious fighting a car as hard as he was.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 02:33 (Ref:361776)   #12
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button does not have the contractual rights to drive for next year in Renault. He at most has an option.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 09:08 (Ref:361899)   #13
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

With regards to JV coming in and pushing the team forward, granted, he can get the job done in a good car, but seems not to be able to develop cars, so i don't think Renault would improve much with him there, and the last and most important thing, he's burnt his bridges with Renault!
I agree that Jacques isent particularly good at devlopment mr.v - even during his Williams days it was the same story - but I think in the right kind of environment Jacques will get the job done - even with developing the car. I think Jacques is really desperate to hang on to an F1 drive and he wants to start winning again - if he goes to Renault he would make an immediate impact. As for burning bridges with Renault - if the top guys at Renault want him - then lil ol Flavio will have no choice but to accept Villeneuve!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:361931)   #14
buttonfan
Rookie

buttonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why everybody think that Alonso is something special. He drove Minardi last year and have two week team mates. The same thing is with Webber this year. Davidson showed in Hungary that Webber is not so outstanding.
Renault will never win world championships with Trulli. Perhaps Alonso can do it, but I doubt. Look what Fisi is doing in Jordan. He has more points then Trulli.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 14:01 (Ref:362066)   #15
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesnt make scence to drop your quickest driver, the one most likley to get you points, but as Flav has already done that once (a year) who can tell what goes through that small man's mind.

Why havent Renault developed what looked like a promising chasis?
Old 20 Aug 2002, 23:16 (Ref:362554)   #16
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I agree on with most posts here is that Trulli is, and always has been, a disappointment in F1.

I also agree with the notion that Alonso might not be so great. I have never known of a driver so massivvely hyped (including JPM), especially when you consider he hasn't really achieved anything yet.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:14 (Ref:362588)   #17
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
But Trulli has disappointed in nearly every season. Did you see the in-car action from the 1st lap? What a girl!!! (No offence to any of the girls on this forum)
And did you see Trulli being hit by other cars,particularly Montoya from behind? As he was trying to sort out the effect on his car, his team mate took the space he was going to use while Montoya drove past on the inside. Then Raikkonen touched wheels with him. As Pat Symonds described it...." a very traumatic first few corners..."
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:19 (Ref:362591)   #18
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
If Renault really wanted to win - they would get rid of both Button and Trulli - and hire Villeneuve and partner him with Alonso. Button may be a question mark as a top line driver but so is Trulli. Trulli has really disappointed this season.

As far as Alonso goes, he has talent and he deserves a shot. But it would not be right to put him in the car this season - Button has a contract like it or not - he should at least see out the season before going on to BAR.
Trulli may have disappointed you, but he hasn't disappointed Renault and that's what counts.

There's no way that Button won't finish the season, and never was. I guess this is just another opportunity for the Trulli bashing that you are all so fond of.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:31 (Ref:362594)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough one to call... If I were Flav, it would be Jenson and Fernando in the Renaults next season BUT Jarno was brought into F1 by Briatore and he's not going to call it quits on his driver. I think Trulli has the *potential* to be megaquick, IF he can find the speed he so obviously has during qualifying.

Alonso will do great things in the Renault, and unfortunately could quite easily spell the end of Trulli's Renault career.

As for Jenson... BAR is a road to nowhere - just look at JV...
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:32 (Ref:362595)   #20
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Button looked good against RS which is not that difficult to do. He then was up against one of the best in the business and I think his true potential was not shown because he left a good team to race at the back of the pack. Also, who can beat GF?

Renault would not break their contract with JB. He has been the better of he drivers this year. One mistake does not constitute failure. At least he does not say there was oil on the track and he handles pressure pretty well.
JB has had the better reliability this year and managed to score points at the beginning when the Renault was more competitive. Since Monaco, Trulli has scored more points.If you look at lap times in the races, when their machinery has been equal, the drivers have been equal. Trulli had a faster fastest lap than Button in Hungary....it was also faster than Fisichella, Massa, and the wonderful Jacques.

It would be nice if people said "one mistake does not constitute failure" when Trulli makes one. He does always admit to them also, so you can be sure that if he says he has spun on oil it was really there.

Trulli has been in a few pressure situations as well this year, for instance racing ahead of Ralf in Canada for several laps near the end of the race. Trulli got a point there. He was also pressured by DC and later Heidfeld in Hungary. And didn't make a mistake. Jenson was pressured and spun off.

I don't have anything against Jenson. I'm just fed up with the bias.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:34 (Ref:362596)   #21
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:

I agree that Jacques isent particularly good at devlopment mr.v - even during his Williams days it was the same story - but I think in the right kind of environment Jacques will get the job done - even with developing the car. I think Jacques is really desperate to hang on to an F1 drive and he wants to start winning again - if he goes to Renault he would make an immediate impact. As for burning bridges with Renault - if the top guys at Renault want him - then lil ol Flavio will have no choice but to accept Villeneuve!
Flavio IS a top guy at Renault and they don't want Villeneuve.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:38 (Ref:362598)   #22
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by buttonfan
Why everybody think that Alonso is something special. He drove Minardi last year and have two week team mates. The same thing is with Webber this year. Davidson showed in Hungary that Webber is not so outstanding.
Renault will never win world championships with Trulli. Perhaps Alonso can do it, but I doubt. Look what Fisi is doing in Jordan. He has more points then Trulli.
And this time last year Trulli had 9 points in a Jordan that was worse than this years' car.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:40 (Ref:362600)   #23
LindaC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono
One thing I agree on with most posts here is that Trulli is, and always has been, a disappointment in F1.

I also agree with the notion that Alonso might not be so great. I have never known of a driver so massivvely hyped (including JPM), especially when you consider he hasn't really achieved anything yet.
How about Button?
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:44 (Ref:362601)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button was atrociously over-hyped before he arrived in F1... but by the end of his debut season he had proved his worth. His time at Benetton was obviously difficult, not only because of the talent of Fisi but also because of the bias towards him within the team in terms of who got what machinery... At Renault Button has been a star. His mistake at Hungary, it was a racing accident. But in general this season, his racing has been out-standing. Trulli on the other hand... like I said, he's got the potential. A lot of it. If he put in laps during the race like he did in qualifying, he'd be very very quick. But perhaps he also lacks the fight that some of the feistier drivers (Heinz, Montoya, Kimi and Mark) have out there - including to an extent Jenson.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:56 (Ref:362602)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Linda - you go girl!