Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1405627)   #1
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso or Kimi for champ?

I would love to know what others think of this matter.

To my opinion Kimi is the one that should be crowned champ, he as been by far the best (briljant) driver this year. Was it not for his constantly breaking car, he would have been right there (if not leading).

Alonso was great in the first couple of races, but was he briljant all year long? He has been very lucky the last couple of races. Merc shooting themselves in the foot has helped him a lot. He might be a future champ, but I think he should wait, Kimi did a better job this year.

I am not a fan of either of them (Schu's my man) but I can spot talent and both of them are great talents, but Kimi really does stand out.

Let me have it.....
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1405629)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Would Fernando have driven differently if he hadn't been protecting a points advantage with the aim of tying up the championship? I suspect so...
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1405632)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The championship lead now is the same as it was way back at Imola - so Alonso has been driving in title mode since then, as Craig suggests.

He deserves the title.

If he has an unprecedented collapse and Kimi wins it, then the Finn will be a deserving winner.

Two greats and they'll be the big names of the sport for years to come.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1405634)   #4
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Maybe in the last 3 or so races yes, but the earlier races he was on it. Don't think it is in his nature to relax in a race, he always goes for it (like a certain champ I know).
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1405635)   #5
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Two greats and they'll be the big names of the sport for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that...
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1405638)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso's ability to stay calm and focussed and relentlessly pop up on the podium is a quality of a true champion - every bit as much as Kimi's astonishing speed. No matter what happens in the future (Fernando will not be beaten to the crown this year) Kimi will need to display the same level-headedness to get the title - I don't doubt that he will be able to when the time comes.

Plus, it it a team sport - Renault have done a more solid job and deserve the results.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1405640)   #7
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
Alonso was great in the first couple of races, but was he briljant all year long?
Yes he has been brilliant all year long. I don't know how you think he was just great in the first 2 races.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1405646)   #8
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Plus, it it a team sport - Renault have done a more solid job and deserve the results.[/QUOTE]

Renault deserve the constructors yes, they did a better job. But Kimi was the better driver this year.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1405650)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see how that follows - Kimi's extra speed is mostly due to the excellent car, which the team designs and builds!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1405651)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisichella seems to be doing his best to give McLaren the constructors title!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1405654)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Fisichella seems to be doing his best to give McLaren the constructors title!
And Montoya is doing his best to make sure Alonso's lead is out of reach for Kimi!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1405663)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Hein (although I do prefer Kimi) you can't really say "he deserves it but he does not have a good car". I mean, there are many great drivers out there, and MS and Button would have been good enough to fight for the title if they had better cars. I agree that Kimi was more impressive this year, but that was probably only because he had to. If Alonso had to, he'd probably do the same. Anyway, I think any of the two would be a worthy champion
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1405671)   #13
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Alonso's ability to stay calm and focussed and relentlessly pop up on the podium is a quality of a true champion - every bit as much as Kimi's astonishing speed. No matter what happens in the future (Fernando will not be beaten to the crown this year) Kimi will need to display the same level-headedness to get the title.
What would happen if Raikkonen was sitting in Alonso's situation and Alonso in Raikkonens? Raikkonen is just so fast, but he makes mistakes as well. Would he be able to just "sit back" as Alonso is doing at the moment, bringing home the car, to just get the points for the championship? I don't think he can do it. He just always has to take risks (which make brilliant motorsport).

What about Alonso? He is fast as well and he can be fast throughout the race, but I have never see him do a few blistering laps, ie. for jumping somebody during the pitstops (like MS and KR can do).
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1405674)   #14
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
I think they'd both be probably as good if things were the other way round. They both seem to be top class drivers. Raikkonen has not made any real mistakes this year except for when he had to push too hard, so I guess he could sit back like alonso does. Alonso could probably be faster too, but that remains to be seen
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1405679)   #15
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
Alonso could probably be faster too, but that remains to be seen
I just remembered, we did see Alonso try to do some quick laps, in Canada, where he crashed into the wall...

He is a worthy champ though (just in case people think I'm trying to make a bashing thread out of this one, which I'm not).
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1405684)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Would he be able to just "sit back" as Alonso is doing at the moment, bringing home the car, to just get the points for the championship? I don't think he can do it. He just always has to take risks (which make brilliant motorsport).

Kimi showed in 2003 he can play the percentage game very effectively.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1405688)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At this point you'd have to be a fool to say Kimi's gonna win it.

However.

Kimi's gonna win it.

I honestly can't split them, except I just happen to like Kimi more (I'll like him even more when he joins Ferrari... ). Whichever of them does take the title will fully deserve it, and whichever doesn't will be thinking if only...

Here's to a new era of epic battles between two superb drivers - if it's as good as Senna v Prost we're in for a treat. Mind you, I'm expecting Michael to bounce back one more time to spoil the party next year...
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1405697)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Mate! It isn't as if his 2003 car gave him any choice! He drove to lots of good points positions because that is the maximum score he could make with that car - he wasn't playing the level-headed "percentages" game.

As I said before, I don't doubt he could do it, but hence far he has only been required to go balls-out (infamous night club debacle pun intended).
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1405710)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Absolutely.

I was merely responding to the poster who said he couldn't do it!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1405716)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't blame Alonso for being ultra-conservative at this point considering his lead in points and with Fisi crashing hard in what appeared to be a difficult car to drive. But I can't help but feel a tad disappointed that he didn't push harder at Spa. I'm not sure that the Renault was up to the task or if there was potential there for a fierce battle between he and the 2 McLarens. Likely only Alonso himself knows if he could have competed for the win.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1405717)   #21
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
In what race was that then?
Old 12 Sep 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1405721)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
...But I can't help but feel a tad disappointed that he didn't push harder at Spa.
The sooner he wraps up the title, the sooner we'll see it. If he snags a podium next race we'll then have two proper battles to round off a fabulous season, plus the chase for the WCC to keep us interested.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1405815)   #23
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is not taking un-necessary risks and is giving other cars plenty of respect whenever they get close to him, but he is still pushing as hard as the team are allowing him to push the car. See Montreal & Hungary - pushing over the limit - he's not keeping much, if anything, in his pocket in terms of out and out speed.

The Renault is simply not as fast as the McLaren.

I'm sure there'll be a slight feeling of irritation in Alonso's mind if he can win the championship over Kimi without having beaten him on the track in a convincing manor since Bahrain. However that's more to do with the teams performance than the drivers.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1405818)   #24
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Mate! It isn't as if his 2003 car gave him any choice!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1405850)   #25
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both would be worthy champions.

For me, Kimi is perhaps the outright faster of the two, whilst I think Alonso is probably (at this stage in their careers) the more complete driver. This year we have seen Alonso dominate, come through the field, withstand huge pressure (Imola in particualr and the pressure of leading the championship in general), and chase the McLarens hard when he has had the opportunity.

Kimi has had some icncredible bad luck, and has been very fast, but he has been in the situation where he has nothing to lose. He has to risk everything to have a chance of catching up, where as the worst thing Alonso could do is to chuck it off trying to fight the McLarens, which are much quicker at the moment (and have been for some time).

For those reasons, I want Alonso to win the title, but I'm also a believer in the title going to the driver who wins the most races, and that is looking increasingly unlikely!

So, I end where I started, either would be a worthy World Champion!