Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 8 May 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1908823)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are 4 strokes always output on the left?

A question someone asked me yesterday at the track was why do 4 strokes (World Formula, Honda GX etc) always output on the left, and yet all the 2 strokes output on the right? I am sure theres a basic answer to do with combustion cycles or something but I dont know what that is - any ideas?
Old 9 May 2007, 18:14 (Ref:1910047)   #2
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got me thinking on this one, but my nephew's TKM 4 outputs on the right.

I know that when foreign teams competed here for the British Kart GP,back when I was involved, their engines were always on the opposite side to ours, left instead of right, so it could possibly be a European thing.
Old 9 May 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1910118)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TKM is a purpose built engine though is'nt it - maybe the lawnmower, generator, skiddoo background of the Hondas, Subarus and Briggs is the reason they output that side?

So you are saying two stoke motors outputted on the inside? But maybe they were all gearbox ones?
Old 10 May 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1910682)   #4
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
The TKM is a purpose built engine though is'nt it - maybe the lawnmower, generator, skiddoo background of the Hondas, Subarus and Briggs is the reason they output that side?

So you are saying two stoke motors outputted on the inside? But maybe they were all gearbox ones?
Yeah my background in karting is all gearbox so that was all that I could see for an answer when I looked at your ask ! I would be interested in the answer, especially now that you have raised the point.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1963014)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Digging this one back up, we are going to attempt to convert a 4 stroke motor to output differently, or maybe incorporate a transfer gear. If it works would be great for converting old 2 stoke frames to a play kart without having to cut and shut.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1979494)   #6
elementsports
Rookie

elementsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
A question someone asked me yesterday at the track was why do 4 strokes (World Formula, Honda GX etc) always output on the left, and yet all the 2 strokes output on the right? I am sure theres a basic answer to do with combustion cycles or something but I dont know what that is - any ideas?
A 4 stroke has low torque so it does not matter which side! a 2 stroke races almost 90% on clock wise tracks so pushing and loading on the rear like a race car.. + add that to poor weight distribution from a 4 stoke!
All about power and distribution.. if you have mega torq is down to the track!
2 Stroke is diff to these 4strk, like pushing hard or just waiting for power to deliver!
It is all down to TRQ

Cheers SB
Old 15 Aug 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1989775)   #7
David Walmsley
Rookie

David Walmsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Honda cadets they were on the left for ease of changing sprockets.