Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Jan 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3792694)   #1
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport International 2018

Couldn't see a thread for this years event, so here goes.

Went on the Saturday and was an enjoyable day, tho not as busy as last year which is no bad thing in sumways as more room to walk round. Also there was a lot less of those E-Gaming stalls which seamed to take over last year.

Was nice to see the new gen WRC cars on show, they really are mental bits of kit. The Yaris is just bonkers in every way, tho the Fiesta just looks right to me.

Anyhow, heres my pics from the day plus vid of the Live Arena if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSYSHg1NUs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geordi...57691461200374
Old 14 Jan 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3792702)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you been to the show in previous years? What did you think of the experience, was it worth the money for what can be only a few hours.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3792719)   #3
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been the last 5 years and it never really changes to be honest, in terms of layout, companies that attend and what you see. For the price it is an expensive day out, if the price was to go up even a few pounds I wouldn't be able to justify it really.

Sumthing's i do find strange, for a Motorsport orientated event I'm surprised the UK circuits don't have a presence there and also there was nothing of note to show off series like MotoGP, WSBK, BSBk, Truck racing which is a shame.

As for the Venue, well its the NEC so make sure you take your own food as the prices are nuts and if you are planning on buying things, make sure you get money from the free to use cash machines at the entrance of the NEC not the ones in the halls as they charge (£1.95 i think).
Old 14 Jan 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3792725)   #4
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
I've been the last 5 years and it never really changes to be honest, in terms of layout, companies that attend and what you see. For the price it is an expensive day out, if the price was to go up even a few pounds I wouldn't be able to justify it really.

Sumthing's i do find strange, for a Motorsport orientated event I'm surprised the UK circuits don't have a presence there and also there was nothing of note to show off series like MotoGP, WSBK, BSBk, Truck racing which is a shame.

As for the Venue, well its the NEC so make sure you take your own food as the prices are nuts and if you are planning on buying things, make sure you get money from the free to use cash machines at the entrance of the NEC not the ones in the halls as they charge (£1.95 i think).
MSV have been present in previous years, I think last year was the first in a while they were not present. Silverstone circuit are usually there promoting the Silverstone Classic or something like that. The circuit calendars are not completely sorted yet so there is no point handing out event information at the show.

The show was originally called The Racing Car Show, hence why there is little bike action. Bikes have their own show at the NEC that attracts a different audience.

As for food, I have been to the Subway at the rail station. Its a bit of a walk but the prices are cheaper as it's not on NEC group land and the queues are much shorter.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3792828)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I went on Thursday and it seemed a lot quieter than last time I went (3 years ago?). Whether it's worth it or not really depends on what you're looking to get out of it - we wanted to try out seats (ours are out of date in November) so it was a good chance to wander round the various seat manufacturers and see what the seats were like (rather than ordering them online). Very useful from that point of view as we've now got a shortlist to work through and see how the various options fit into the car.

We didn't bother with the live action arena - that's not included in the ticket price on Thursday and Friday. Once you've seen it once you don't need to see it again.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3793004)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You all know my opinions on this stupid show.

I can't see how anyone can justify the price really. 50 quid day with parking. Simply crackers.

Captive audience and a show that doesn't offer much to anyone and is more expensive than the majority of race meetings

But, if you keep on going, they will change nothing, so we get nothing new or innovative and they simply know you will hand it over whether you enjoy it or not.

So, you cna only blame yourselves.

Fair point on trade only day, I can see the point for licence holders, that is fine, but for punters, it's a stupid thing to do.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3793008)   #7
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
MSV have been present in previous years, I think last year was the first in a while they were not present. Silverstone circuit are usually there promoting the Silverstone Classic or something like that. The circuit calendars are not completely sorted yet so there is no point handing out event information at the show.
MSV were at the show in 2017 selling season passes. Rockingham there too.
Mallory was there this year and Combe as per usual.
But without MSV which includes Donington, and reckoning Knockhill and Croft is a fair way to NEC, the list is short.
Silverstone, as said is the Classic, which is promoted by Goose, Goodwood don't need hard core fans, the corporate/champagne brigade is more rewarding, and besides there meetings are either restricted to members or sell outs! Lydden have only 1 meeting.
Rockingham are probably spending their money on grandstand repairs!
So unless the Welsh tracks come good its a bit barren.

As for the 2018 programme its pretty much complete, MSV have their extensive list on line. All other major promoted meetings are in place.

So it would appear that the circuits dont feel they need to be there. On line presence is greater than show attendance.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3793112)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if anyone saw our Nige? I've only been once, through winning a competition on Autosport's FB page and I enjoyed it, it's not often I get to see the stars and cars of motorsport. That's probably why I enjoyed my one and only visit, at least so far