Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Dec 2007, 16:44 (Ref:2084917)   #1
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LONGCROSS yes Longcross

From Barry Guess,
It is with pleasure that I advise that, following negotiations with the land owners of the Longcross Test Track, we have now agreed a limited calendar of events for 2008.

Starting on Easter Monday for a Sprint, the Mini Tempest will follow on 20th April as the first rally at the venue for 14 months.

Thereafter, the Craven MC event will take place on 18th May, followed by another Sprint on 6th July and a third and final rally, the Oxford MC Carfax Stages on 22nd November.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and look foward to seeing you all at this fantastic and valuable venue in the new year.

Barry Guess
MSA Liaison Officer
Old 9 Dec 2007, 17:28 (Ref:2084940)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, heard that last week - not sure how long the license is for, just know it's a license for 5 events [2 sprints, 3 rallies] - shall wait and see!
Old 9 Dec 2007, 20:05 (Ref:2085034)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Bring on "the snake"
Old 9 Dec 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2085043)   #4
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a gentleman letting a lady answer first.

Or were you just a bit slow on the notes?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2085327)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Always the gent

(as if I'd ever be slow on the notes )
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2085350)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
brilliant news, well done to all involved. One of the best sprints I've ever done, and also very local.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 01:59 (Ref:2086151)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
great news. co-drove (ok, its not hard at Longcross!) for a couple of years in a Union Jack liveried Mini. Great circuit and the snake is a great challenge.

Well done everyone and in particular Barry, who is a great ambisidor for the sport
Old 15 Dec 2007, 10:33 (Ref:2089368)   #8
spud117
Rookie

spud117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
From Barry Guess,
It is with pleasure that I advise that, following negotiations with the land owners of the Longcross Test Track, we have now agreed a limited calendar of events for 2008.

Starting on Easter Monday for a Sprint, the Mini Tempest will follow on 20th April as the first rally at the venue for 14 months.

Thereafter, the Craven MC event will take place on 18th May, followed by another Sprint on 6th July and a third and final rally, the Oxford MC Carfax Stages on 22nd November.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and look foward to seeing you all at this fantastic and valuable venue in the new year.

Barry Guess
MSA Liaison Officer

Nice One Barry, well done on getting most of the events there for yourself. Great achievement considering you are a club liasion officer.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2089433)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a fair point...
Old 15 Dec 2007, 13:05 (Ref:2089457)   #10
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Barry as in SCMC have always had two sprints and a rally so no change there.
And as he has done the work why not.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:24 (Ref:2090323)   #11
spud117
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
Barry as in SCMC have always had two sprints and a rally so no change there.
And as he has done the work why not.
Yes its a fair point, but I thought that to liase meant you contacted other clubs and discussed suitability, availability etc.

The point I am making is that the "liasing" as its called seems to have been done very quietly and not too many clubs were aware that Longcross could be used again. As BG is the liasion officer at Longcross or with Qintic or whatever the owners are of the circuit, is there not a conflict of interests here and are we not witnessing self interest at work.

Thats all I am saying............ If the shoe fits...
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2090364)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Is Barry the club liason officer or the MSA liason officer? Free dates at Longcross are at a premium so the 'regular' users are getting first priority - only fair surely?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2090510)   #13
spud117
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Is Barry the club liason officer or the MSA liason officer? Free dates at Longcross are at a premium so the 'regular' users are getting first priority - only fair surely?
Exactly my point, I agree that the regulars should have them. But how does one club manage to obtain 60% of the events. Are you saying theres no link between this and BG....??? I just think that its a wee bit unfair as the word is that few if any other clubs were consulted about its availablilty especially the the Mini Tempest was announced a wee buit prematurely...!!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2090518)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Which clubs are missing out? Is there a queue of disgruntled clubs out there that want to organise events at Longcross? (there may be for all I know) The only club I can think of is maybe London Irish.

The announcement about the re-availability of Longcross was kept back until everything was signed and sealed - if the Mini-Tempest was announced before that then presumably it was entirely unofficial? I'm not really sure I understand the problem here - as far as I'm aware Barry is the go-between for clubs and the venue, so is Barry supposed to contact all clubs to let them know that the venue is available or should he just be handling requests he receives from clubs about using the venue? I'd have thought that once the venue is declared available then it's up to clubs to get in touch with Barry to arrange possible dates. Have any clubs been turned away? If the venue is massively over-subscribed then maybe it does need looking at further.

Also - to some extent it doesn't matter who organises the meetings does it? I've taken part in both the Mini-Tempest and Carfax events at Longcross - to us as a crew it makes little difference who's organising as long as we get to play
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:52 (Ref:2090535)   #15
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Of course it might have been a case of getting in quick when the go ahead was given.
I put a post on the Craven MC forum and boy did the as some of their committee didn't even know as the news hadn't got through.
Remember only 3 events are rallies the other 2 being sprints which are a very different set up at that venue.
As far as I can see all events were listed on the same post.
Judging from the Craven response I would think that it had to be a there and then decision.
And I think Barry is MSA liaison rather than clubs.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:53 (Ref:2091106)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bert I know of at least 3 clubs who have organised events there and would like to have been involved again but knew nothing until the announcement came out.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 10:48 (Ref:2091159)   #17
spud117
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Bert I know of at least 3 clubs who have organised events there and would like to have been involved again but knew nothing until the announcement came out.
So we now have found out that clubs were possibly NOT consulted by the Liasion representative. Now this may be perfectly correct but bearing in mind that it was announced the LONGCROSS... Yes Longcross was back on and apppeared on this forum as a form of PR, perhaps the same person would like to come on and exlpain how all this took place.

I mean in a fair and even handed world it would be VERY wrong to jump to conclusions and blame someone unfairly particularly when you consider all the hard work and effort that Barry does behind the scenes that no one hears about.

Its an open offer.............
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:12 (Ref:2091172)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Whatever the wrongs and rights of it, at the end of the day to be fair you were never going to be able to please everyone with a limited number of events available with this license....I don't think anything's going to change now, just have to see what happens in 09??
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2091245)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Can't we just be grateful for the resurrection of the venue, support the events that are going to happen, and say thankyou to those that made it possible? Let me be the first....
Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2091301)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Exactly - I'm just happy to see it back on the calendar and as I said previously - who's organising the event isn't high on the list of priorities for us - more a case of when/where and how much.

Going back to the consultation of clubs - I still view it as the clubs responsibility to contact the liason officer for the venue - not the other way round. Sutton and Cheam are always going to have an advantage in that respect but I don't see what else could be done. Nothing could be announced until the deal was signed and sealed - and then SCMC would have been at the front of the queue for dates, after them it would be first come first served I'd have thought.