Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Apr 2004, 00:17 (Ref:926899)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to sit at the Milwaukee Mile

I'm hoping maybe somebody who's been to Milwaukee before can help me make a decision here.

I was thinking that maybe if I sat in the South Terrace, Section DD, subsection 3, I'd be able to see all the way down the front straight to the exit of turn 4, and be able to look to my right and see all of turn 1 and the space between 1 and 2. Does this sound good? Should I sit lower and pay $20, be closer to the action, but have the fence in the way? Or sit higher, pay $40, and be a little further away but without the fence? What are other advantages/disadvantages of sitting in rows 1-8, versus 9 and above? Will I be able to see significantly more of the track by sitting higher rather than lower?

I was also thinking that, let's say I sit in CC/3, but up higher, would I be able to see over the pit wall and see all of the front straight to the exit of 4, and see all of one, the space between, and perhaps more of 2 than if I sat lower in DD?

Here is the link to the map

Last edited by power&glory; 2 Apr 2004 at 00:18.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 04:09 (Ref:926997)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, power&glory,

I've been to Milwaukee three times for CART races (before and after the construction of the new grandstands). I would not recommend the South Terrace. The grandstands are low, and you cannot see much of the pits, very little of the back straight and nothing of Turns 3 and 4.

My rule of thumb for an oval is to seat as high as possible. The "charm" of an oval is to be able to see much of the track, so to seat in a low row is to go against it... And, if you are close to the track, the only thing you will get is the buzz of instantaneous speed - you will not be able to appreciate the race as a whole at all.

I suggest sections 303, 304, 305, 306, 403, 404, 405 in the main grandstand. Last year I watched the race from 405, even though I had a press pass, and I was not disappointed at all.

Boom Boom and other guys are from Milwaukee and region and their input may be quite welcome.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 2 Apr 2004, 04:35 (Ref:927003)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Never been to Milwaukee, only MIS. But I can attest to Muzza's post.
And thus, I'll quote...
Quote:
My rule of thumb for an oval is to seat as high as possible.
No question about it! Sit as high as possible, keeping proximity to the S/F line in mind. The lower you sit, the greater the appreciation of speed and noise levels, but the vantage point of the track (as a whole) is diminished. MIS is much larger, but the one year that I sat in T1 (as opposed to mainstraight), I was very disappointed. One of the beauties of the oval is being able to watch the pitstops, and you cannot do that from the turns.

Last edited by macdaddy; 2 Apr 2004 at 04:36.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 05:52 (Ref:927029)   #4
Jonesey
Rookie

Jonesey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Power&Glory. I will be going to the Milwaukee Mile this year as a side trip on a visit to Churchill Downs in Louisville Kentucky to spread my late fathers ashes on the front straight of HIS faverite track. I am going solo, and have never been to that part of the country, so I am also doing my "homework". Any input from fellow race fans would be appreciated. I HAD planned to go to the Indy 500 the week before the mile. If nothing else, to see and hear Jim Nabers sing the song that brought tears to my eyes every time I heard it in years past.But I am so thoroughly disgusted with the current disregard for tradition and lack of respect for what made that race and this country great, I can't bring myself to support it! I may go to the speedway in the days after the race, but only to reflect and dream of the glory days of yesteryear...and remember the reason for "Memorial Day" weekend...And the race that always supported it!...Jonesey.