Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: F1 Pitstops - what's your preference.
As they are now - fuel but no tyre changes 9 14.52%
Tyre changes only - ban refuelling 10 16.13%
Ban pitstops altogether - race to the flag 28 45.16%
Revert to tyre and fuel stops 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Mar 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1257833)   #1
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitstops - too boring ???

These tyreless pitstops look, well, like somethings missing,"ADRENALIN".

While the tyre rule is for cost cutting and to create overtaking opportunities, the pitstops have lost huge entertainment value.

So what are the future options:
Tyre changes with fewer persons?

Do we have entertaining pitstop action which can affect the race outcome via errors, or do we sanitise pitstops (like now) and keep the action on the track?
Old 21 Mar 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1257847)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Get rid of pit stops all together.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1257854)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe you could get the tyre guys to take the front left off - run it around the front of the car and put it on the front right!
Or how about throwing the wheel!?

Hey!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1257871)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
These tyreless pitstops look, well, like somethings missing,"ADRENALIN".

While the tyre rule is for cost cutting and to create overtaking opportunities, the pitstops have lost huge entertainment value.

So what are the future options:
Tyre changes with fewer persons?

Do we have entertaining pitstop action which can affect the race outcome via errors, or do we sanitise pitstops (like now) and keep the action on the track?
Welcome to 10 Tenths davestar, enjoy posting here.

Many on the forum would say ban re-fuelling as well and have a non-stop thrash to the flag.

The argument against pitstops (at all) is that they have reduced the actual racing, how often did we see MS (for example) win races without overtaking a single car on the track.

Martin Brundle has made the point that the current rules make the teams look at the race as a whole, not just three sprints of 25 laps each or whatever,and that looking after tyres should be part of the racing drivers art.

Personally I have never rated pitstops as a very exciting spectacle and if we are relying on them to supply some action by a wheel sticking or the fuel hose not working in order to spice up the race, then it probably sums up much of what has been wrong with F1 in recent years.

We need more racing on the track and less passing in the pits IMO (how embarrasing is that for a racing driver, letting computers and boffins on the pitwall work out how to pass cars without doing it on the track)

My vote therefore is to keep the action on the track and marginalise pitstops as much as possible, preferably altogether.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 21 Mar 2005 at 10:59.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1257902)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why not reverse it? Allow tyre stops but no refuelling.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1257912)   #6
Alfa75
Rookie

Alfa75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We need more racing on the track and less passing in the pits IMO"

Yes....
But so far what have we seen with the new rules? Same care leading from start to checkered flag, infact even same care in front from first qualifying.
How has this been different from when everyone was crying over how boring it was when TGF was leadign from start to finish race after race? Is it more fun only because it isn't a Ferrari and isn't TGF?

I don't get it! In what way have the races so far seen more action than the ones we had last year? To me it's mind numbingly boring. Ok in Malaysia we suddenly did see some action during a couple of laps (the RS, Hedifeld, Trulli, Webber stuff), but apart from that it was just a long wait. Several seconds gap between most cars from start to finish, same strategy, noone really pushing (or being able to push) during 90% of the race.

Atleast previous years we had the unknown factor of the pit stop strategy, and drivers where pushing more which imo lead to more exciting racing.

I'm all for more action on the track, more overtaking, and less in the pits. But until they figure out a way to actually get that I'd rather take last years rules because it was immensly more fun for me.

The new qualifying system = better than last years
The engine rule = fine why not.
One tire rule = more boring races!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1257914)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
has been my view point. Tyre manufacturers then search the best comprimise of wear and grip. Sounds ideal. In addition if a driver destroys his tyres he has a choice of staying out till the end or losing time in a stop and changing the tyres. We will see them thinking on their feet more - changing their plans. Drivers can also take a risk for track position knowing it isn't all lost if they ruin their tyres. Also there is more of a chance of an even bigger difference towards the end - some drivers will be on newer tyres, some on old tyres they are trying to eek out towards the end.

Having said that, I feel that the current rules may be the second best situation.

Generally, pit stops bore me. I hate it when we cut away from the track to see someone pit.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Mar 2005 at 11:47.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1257927)   #8
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That would be excellent
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1257932)   #9
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no pit stops at all would get my vote.... isnt the idea to RACE? presumably on the track?..... how about a poll mr.moderator?
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1257934)   #10
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having tyre stops would again allow drivers to push and push - again, looking at the race as four 15 lap sprints - in which positions can be made.

You would also have cars running on the same weight, thus making it even more difficult to pass a car in front, if you are both in similar circumstances.

I don't see how a "Change tyres but no refuelling" is better than a "Fuel the cars but don't change the tyres situation"
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1257936)   #11
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Pit Stops OK

I have nothing against the teams having Pit Stops......

I just don't want to see them ALL!

In fact as there is so little happening I can't understand why they show any live. By all means record them and then if anything goes wrong show a recorded piece later.

I suspect all every true racing fan wants to see is ON TRACK ACTION.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1257939)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We haven't had a poll for a while...I've added one to this - vote for your preference on pitstops.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1257993)   #13
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for no pit stops at all... but with the current situation its still going to be too difficult for drivers to pass and we will end up with a couple of seriously boring prosessions at certain circuits.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1257995)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted no pit stops at all too, as well, also.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1257999)   #15
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allow tyre stops - no refuelling is my choice.

But then, no more than one tyre stop for each driver (unless there is force majeure for it)
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1258016)   #16
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's to dangerous to send the autos out with fuel for the hole race ... I'd like to see slicks back and tyrechanges as often as the driver whishes.

Last edited by Big-O; 21 Mar 2005 at 14:31.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1258018)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-O
I think it's to dangerous to send the autos out with fuel for the hole race ... .
Interesting. Part of the problem associated with pit stops is the increased risk of fire due to refuelling.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1258023)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Interesting. Part of the problem associated with pit stops is the increased risk of fire due to refuelling.

Indeed, transferring fuel under pressure in a hot environment is surely more 'dangerous' (if we are comparing risk) than filling a car with fuel.

Thankfully, the improved fuel tank structures and safety measures, along with the general strength of the cars makes F1 cars catching fire a much reduced risk than it was.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1258028)   #19
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't completely pitstop-less races be even more processional? ALl the cars would be on the same pace relative to each other throughout the entire race - we wouldn't get cars falling into the clutches of another as their tyres wear (as happened when Fisichella slowed in Malaysia). There may not have been any lead changes in either race so far, but there was tonnes of pack action in Malaysia, and Melbourne is always processional and boring once you lose the 'first race of the season - first chance to see who's fast' context. In Melbourne Fisichella was the only truly fast guy at the front, in Malaysia Alonso's Renault pace was just too good.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1258033)   #20
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but I just think back to Lauda and his crash, well, I know the safty is more now but ..... In pit stop you have guys with fire-equipment in just few feets away.

But hei, it's my opinon.

Last edited by Big-O; 21 Mar 2005 at 15:00.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1258070)   #21
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Alternatively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
Allow tyre stops - no refuelling is my choice.

But then, no more than one tyre stop for each driver (unless there is force majeure for it)
Why not allow as many tyre swap stops as they like? e.g. switch left front with right front!

Or conversley why not allow each driver six tyres for changes during the race. They could then have 4 rears and two fronts!

Or maybe you could ......................

Oh what the ****, just ban pit stops!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1258139)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definately ban re-fuelling and have only one set of tyres....That way it forces the drivers overtake each other without waiting to leap frog during the pit-stops...and this is the only way we will get action at the front...
Old 21 Mar 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1258156)   #23
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I went for the current situation. It seems to be working. We got lots of on-track passing, and its nice to see drivers have to look after their tyres.

I am not in favour of banning pit stops all together - while some may say that passing in the pits is not exciting, I think it is. How many times have we seen Michael put in outrageously fast laps at the ends of stints to leapfrog his opponents in the pits? Its an art all its own! Not to mention the art of having a blistering in-lap/out-lap.

Besides, its so hard to pass on track. Passing off the track is better than no passing at all
Old 21 Mar 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1258161)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
How many times have we seen Michael put in outrageously fast laps at the ends of stints to leapfrog his opponents in the pits? Its an art all its own! Not to mention the art of having a blistering in-lap/out-lap.
Besides, its so hard to pass on track. Passing off the track is better than no passing at all

Are you sure you havent been listening to James Allen?
Old 21 Mar 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1258163)   #25
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Why? Is that what he said? I cannot bear to listen to him anymore, so instead, I watch Speed coverage...