Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Feb 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3885590)   #1901
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Yep the hatch above the engine is tiny and there will be even less space around a 6 cylinder than a 4.
Being air cooled means there's a lot less stuff to disconnect so taking the engine out is a lot simpler than most cars.

Access is a problem on lots of flat engines - changing Subaru spark plugs is a pain apparently (luckily they last a very long time).

Years ago when the Flat-12 Testarossa came out a friend said that at one of the first services they did all the valve clearances and that cost as much as a VW Golf because they had to take the engine out!
Taking the engine out of a 911 at a service to 'do the tappets' is standard procedure. A mate of mine who worked for Porsche was given the job of servicing the flat six engines that were fitted to a (tethered) Air Ship. He said that was a strange experience as, athough the thing was tethered to a post, it still moved around so he constantly had to walk back to where he'd put his kit down and take it to where he was now working!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3885596)   #1902
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Viva if your mate is out of business now you can ask him if he really did the last 12th plug on some Porsche engines where access is a concern specially with air co. Yes its on the bill but ya no…
Old 20 Feb 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3885598)   #1903
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I seem to also remember stories about V12 Jaguars and the difficulty in changing spark plugs?
Old 20 Feb 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3885600)   #1904
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Viva if your mate is out of business now you can ask him if he really did the last 12th plug on some Porsche engines where access is a concern specially with air co. Yes its on the bill but ya no…
Gerard, my mate is a very honourable man (a rare thing in the motor-trade), if something had to be done, I would trust him to have done it!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3885601)   #1905
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talking of not so honourable. I had uprated headlamp bulbs in a car a few years ago. The cost per bulb, at trade price, was over 25 each. They were less than two months old when the car went for an MoT. When I collected the car, the garage told me that they had to change one of the bulbs and presented a bill for just ten pounds. I requested the old bulb, explaining that it was new and I wanted to take it back to the vendor. Needless to say, they couldn't find the failed bulb, or disclose where they got such a cheap replacement from!
Old 20 Feb 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3885602)   #1906
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Taking the engine out of a 911 at a service to 'do the tappets' is standard procedure. A mate of mine who worked for Porsche was given the job of servicing the flat six engines that were fitted to a (tethered) Air Ship. He said that was a strange experience as, athough the thing was tethered to a post, it still moved around so he constantly had to walk back to where he'd put his kit down and take it to where he was now working!
Arhh yes, the Airship Industries Skyship 500 and 600 Series. I saw them when they were conducting trials at HMS Daedalus when i was an apprentice. Later, i wrote a paper about it and had access to the MoD files in the subject.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship_Industries_Skyship_500
Old 20 Feb 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3885603)   #1907
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I had recently almost the same thing, but I was looking for six pistons!!! My endoscope allowed to see that two were changed. Four pistons anyone?
Old 20 Feb 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3885627)   #1908
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andy if you wrote articles may I ask how you would rate your journalists? I mean the ones writing about modern stuff. Here, they are not always taken seriously suffering a certain lack of credibility. Understandable when you see the salaries.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3885636)   #1909
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't writing for publication, Gerard, but a Paper to be presented as part of my studies. But no, i dont rate too many journalists either in print or tv!
Old 21 Feb 2019, 02:34 (Ref:3885671)   #1910
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its a real problem here.They dont know much they dont do much they can't drive properly and have not always interest for technical things. Above all they are solicitors trying to have courtesy cars from the builders. I have few respect for them in general from the time I was making free lance as a hobby.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3885681)   #1911
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Gerard, I’m concerned for you- some of your recent posts are at a time when most good citizens are asleep!

Night shift, or insomnia...... ?

In case it’s the latter, here’s Faithless for you - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4 (not the extended version )
Old 21 Feb 2019, 06:30 (Ref:3885682)   #1912
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your post is pretty early as well Mike! I'm off to a race track, what's your excuse?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Feb 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3885683)   #1913
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Your post is pretty early as well Mike! I'm off to a race track, what's your excuse?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yawn! 'mornin' all.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3885690)   #1914
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Gerard, I’m concerned for you- some of your recent posts are at a time when most good citizens are asleep!

Night shift, or insomnia...... ?

In case it’s the latter, here’s Faithless for you - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4 (not the extended version )
You have a fine taste in music Mike! I can click on anything you suggest confident I will like it (or as in the case of Faithless have it on CD)

Re insomnia per se, as I have grown older I have a habit of waking in the middle of the night for a pee.... when I asked my Doctor about 'the problem' he said (with a laugh) 'you dont have a problem.... the problem comes when you dont actually wake up for a pee'

But when I wake up at c 4.00-5.00am for me I generally have a look in here, so I am often here at odd hours.

Last edited by E.B; 21 Feb 2019 at 07:56.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3885693)   #1915
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
9 pm here . We went canoeing in the Pooring rain early this morning . Great fun with stunning sceanary . Now moved away from Milton Sounds and staying up in Wanaka. Try saying that after a few beers . As we have gained a day there is some great bike rides here so might get a pass out tomorrow and hire a bike .
Old 21 Feb 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3885695)   #1916
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
9 pm here . We went canoeing in the Pooring rain early this morning . Great fun with stunning sceanary . Now moved away from Milton Sounds and staying up in Wanaka. Try saying that after a few beers . As we have gained a day there is some great bike rides here so might get a pass out tomorrow and hire a bike .
Never mind saying Wanaka after a few beers, try this one sober: Taumatawhakatangihangakoayauo-
Tamateaturipukakapikimaungahoro-
Nukypokaiwhenuakitanatahu
This is what it should sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchOYs_d_Bw
Old 21 Feb 2019, 08:29 (Ref:3885697)   #1917
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike your concern about my health during the night is "moving"! When you say citizens I guess you're talking about this part of the world we should not forget this forum is worldwide so never sleeps!
As E.B says But when I wake up at c 4.00-5.00am for me I generally have a look in here, so I am often here at odd hours. Conclusion, my weewee is jet lagged!
Yes some troubles around which makes my brain working hard at night it was the case when I was running a company whatever the size and number of employees.
C'est la vie!
Old 21 Feb 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3885698)   #1918
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Related to the racing thread I always had short Sat/Sun nights when a co-driver had been faster then me during Q. I found a gap of 4 tenths acceptable but everything going above 5 tenths avoided any nightmare because… I could not even sleep! Imagine how often it happened!
Old 21 Feb 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3885702)   #1919
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
You have a fine taste in music Mike! I can click on anything you suggest confident I will like it (or as in the case of Faithless have it on CD)

Re insomnia per se, as I have grown older I have a habit of waking in the middle of the night for a pee.... when I asked my Doctor about 'the problem' he said (with a laugh) 'you dont have a problem.... the problem comes when you dont actually wake up for a pee'
I've got both the extended Faithless and Pete Tong/Heritage Orchestra versions on my devices....

Re- getting up during the night, I was listening to a 'knowledgeable person' on something and they reckoned that as sleep patterns are in segments normally, it isn't something we should worry about. In fact worrying about it will make it more difficult to sleep!
Old 21 Feb 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3885705)   #1920
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Your post is pretty early as well Mike! I'm off to a race track, what's your excuse...
No race track to get excited about, just that normal alarm is 0500hrs!

Some peeps brains work better in the morning, some late at night. Mine is obviously the former- by 8pm the old noggin is getting to a zombie state.....
Old 21 Feb 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3885713)   #1921
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No race track to get excited about, just that normal alarm is 0500hrs!

Some peeps brains work better in the morning, some late at night. Mine is obviously the former- by 8pm the old noggin is getting to a zombie state.....
I am similar to you Mike, I seem to be more of a lark than an owl, preferring to get up early to do things instead of working later to get them completed. Certainly by 8pm I'm starting to get muddled too (but have to admit that the red wine probably contributes to that effect!) .
Old 21 Feb 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3885718)   #1922
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and Mrs Delta now star gazing . The stars are so bright here .
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3885724)   #1923
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Me and Mrs Delta now star gazing . The stars are so bright here .
Sounds romantic, Iain! Steady on......
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3885726)   #1924
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I am similar to you Mike, I seem to be more of a lark than an owl, preferring to get up early to do things instead of working later to get them completed. Certainly by 8pm I'm starting to get muddled too (but have to admit that the red wine probably contributes to that effect!) .
From your posts Viv I would say that the 'red wine moment' comes a lot early than 8.0pm. Oh! Did you mean AM?

Last edited by bauble; 21 Feb 2019 at 10:17.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3885727)   #1925
bauble
Veteran

England
Speaking of Owls
Attached Thumbnails
PJO_5110.JPG