Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 Jul 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2259287)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
British F3 goes to Spa-Francorchamps!

The interest in F3 seems to have been waned recently, but British F3 is off to Belgium this week for one of its blue riband events at Spa.

There's a preview here, with links to the provisional timetable and entry list and a lap of the circuit with Jaime Alguersuari.

It will be fascinating to see how the toe-toe battle between him and Sergio Perez develops at Spa. Personally I would put my money on Perez. That NBE Mugen-Honda engine is very good and so are he and the team.

For timekeeping this weekend, you need to go here for a start and then rummage around until you find BF3 as a support race. There should also be a live timing link.

There are are a couple of guest runners in the Invitation Class. Daniel Campos Hull and Basil Shaaban with HBR Motorsport from the F3 EuroSeries, but they're unlikely to worry the front-runners.

More importantly, it seems likely that once again Andy Meyrick will be unfit to race in the National Class. On paper, Jay Bridger should make hay in his absence, but look out for Steven Guerrero. Sadly, Litespeed won't be there with the SLC either.

In the main class, Oli Oakes makes a welcome return.

You need to check the timetable, because it's an unusual format, due to the need to fit everything around the FIA GT 24 Hour race. Two free practice sessions and Q1 on Thursday, Q2 and Race 1 on Friday, followed by Race 2 on Saturday before the big race starts.

Naturally the combination of BF3 and Spa means that the forecast is for rain, but I have known a Spa weekend of uninterrupted sunshine. Honestly! Just like the last couple of days over here.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2259298)   #2
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Sadly, Litespeed won't be there with the SLC either.
Unfortunately 'Lightning' Legris is ineligible having already raced at Spa this year in Spanish F3 - when he twice finished second outright in a Class B car. He should be back at Silverstone though...
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2259501)   #3
evirdorp
Rookie

San Marino
evirdorp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[
There are are a couple of guest runners in the Invitation Class. Daniel Campos Hull and Basil Shaaban with HBR Motorsport from the F3 EuroSeries, but they're unlikely to worry the front-runners.]

I would be very supprised if Campos Hull has no impact, very quick driver, and remember Bf3 is nowhere near as competitive as euroF3
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2259800)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evirdorp
I would be very supprised if Campos Hull has no impact, very quick driver, and remember Bf3 is nowhere near as competitive as euroF3
Let's see, shall we? He's a Spanish driver, so a direct comparison with Jaime Alguersuari will be interesting if the standard of BF3 is as poor as you say.

In other news, it seems that Viktor Jensen will not be making the trip.

Finally, regarding the weather, my smart arse friend says you should check this site. Just click Refresh on your browser to update it. I have to admit that right now it's looking not bad at all for Spa. Hot, even if it does rain a bit.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2260285)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
and remember Bf3 is nowhere near as competitive as euroF3
I'm struggling to agree with you evirdorp but please let's not have this thread go down this route again please folks.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2260864)   #6
evirdorp
Rookie

San Marino
evirdorp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I'm struggling to agree with you evirdorp but please let's not have this thread go down this route again please folks.
Of corse you are!! I really dont mind you guys thinking Bf3 is still the centre of the universe, ( hasnt been since you decided it was in the early eighties)
anyway why do you think Dr Marko sent his kids there to hide? how did hartly do last weekend?? oh yeah...... and bird and breen? they do well by aiming for 8th in race one..... deffo a sign of a good racer that learned his trade in the greatest championship in the world!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2260871)   #7
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Of corse you are!! I really dont mind you guys thinking Bf3 is still the centre of the universe, ( hasnt been since you decided it was in the early eighties)
anyway why do you think Dr Marko sent his kids there to hide? how did hartly do last weekend?? oh yeah...... and bird and breen? they do well by aiming for 8th in race one..... deffo a sign of a good racer that learned his trade in the greatest championship in the world!
He just said you should stick to the topic, if you want to discuss E.F3 vs B.F3 start your own thread.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2261824)   #8
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turvey Wins

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 2 Aug 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2261972)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great result for the Aussie drivers too - cant wait for race 2, Sam Abay starting out of p3

Race 1 result...

1. Oliver TURVEY - GBR - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:10.800
2. Brendon HARTLEY - NZL - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:12.031
3. Jaime ALGUERSUARI - ESP - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:18.340
4. Sam ABAY - AUS - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:19.451
5. John MARTIN - AUS - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:23.022
6. Sergio PEREZ - MEX - Dallara F308 Mugen Honda - 27:28.850
7. Marcus ERICSSON - SWE - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:29.237
8. Michael DEVANEY - IRL - Mygale M-08F3 Mercedes HWA - 27:35.900
9. Walter GRUBMULLER - AUT - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:36.426
10. Atte MUSTONEN - FIN - Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA - 27:40.399
Old 2 Aug 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2262209)   #10
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Hartley wins race 2

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 2 Aug 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2262335)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Abay & Martin have shockers in race 2 again

Points...

1. Jaime Alguersuari 164
2. Sergio Perez 163
3. Oliver Turvey 150
4. Brendon Hartley 142
5. Atte Mustonen 121
6. Sebastian Hohenthal 105
7. Marcus Ericsson 101
8. Michael Devaney 79
9. Max Chilton 57
10. Nick Tandy 51
Old 3 Aug 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2262452)   #12
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow... Turvey is really close to the leaders now... who are separated by 1 measly point. Hartley still in it too... perhaps Mustonen too. But I think only the top 5 can win from now on... my money's on Perez .
Old 3 Aug 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2262537)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Wow, what a championship eh people? I still haven't even been to a round but from what i've seen on the box I've gotta get out there, hopefully Silverstone in 2 weeks.

I shall definitely be going to Donington's final rounds though - looks like we'll have a showdown there.

I agree with the last comment; Mustonnen could still be the dark horse. He seems to be lacking the ultimate race winning pace for some reason but he racks up the points.

However we have to say that it's Jaime, Sergio and now Turvey with Hartley and Atte outside shots....
Old 3 Aug 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2262736)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Turvey was pretty dominant all weekend. Two pole positions, race 1 win, but then what I thought was a stall at start of race 2 but was actually a broken engine. That caused problems for Abay and Ericsson, even Hartley, who dropped to 6th. However, he picked off them all, including Sergio Perez, who had looked comfortable in the lead, going into les Combes for the last time. It was a classic example of getting the perfect tow.

Poor old T-Sport were leading the race and the National Class going into the last lap, but Steven Guerrero was also jumped by Jay Bridger.

Carlin definitely seem to have the best chassis at the moment. 1-2-3-4 in race 1 was a first, I think.

Weather footnote: there was no rain except overnight. Amazing.
Old 3 Aug 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2262819)   #15
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
^ First time this season we've had no rain, I think .
Old 3 Aug 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2262821)   #16
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
But I've only seen a few of this season's rounds on TV so I'm not certain
Old 4 Aug 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2263410)   #17
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
How did the Euro F3 contingency do ?

Brilliant
Old 4 Aug 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2263489)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
Abay & Martin have shockers in race 2 again
I know it's frustrating when the drivers you support don't do very well - don't forget I tipped Atte Mustonen to win this thing at the beginning of the season! - but Sam had his best weekend in BF3 so far and John has been going much better in recent races. Since Ali Jackson decided (mistakenly IMO) that the grass was greener over at Ultimate), Anthony 'Boyo' Hieatt has been engineering John and it seems to be paying dividends.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2263596)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
The thing is that John is in his 2nd season & the money must be getting low & his results have not been great...

Sam has shown that he is fast & a 2nd year of bf3 would be great for him & his fans...
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2268138)   #20
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What was your pred over T-Sport strider? I had inf straight from NBE before season started they were full of enthusiasm but I didn't believe in them, or didn't want to believe... my mistake. I am happy was wrong.

Heard about Hohenthal some time ago, knowing something about him I believed in that rumour that he's done... it's still very sad, cause we're losing proper S-S runner, good material for GP2, but... we all need earn money and I am curtain he will do it, most probably in STCC. All the best to him.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2268143)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
What was your pred over T-Sport strider? I had inf straight from NBE before season started they were full of enthusiasm but I didn't believe in them, or didn't want to believe... my mistake. I am happy was wrong.
I can't remember exactly. There's a thread somewhere which it would probably be embarrassing to dig up.

I never had any doubt about T-Sport, whom I have long regarded as one of the best teams, nor the NBE Mugen-Honda engine. If anything I wondered if Sergio Perez would be able to transfer his National Class form to the main class. The fact is that he certainly has done. This weekend at Silverstone could be an important one. I wish the races were on the GP circuit.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2268149)   #22
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to hit Perez, but to be honest, Hohenthal, Carbone or Devaney would already be way ahead of the (Mercedes) pack. I know he is good, but sometimes his form... I am happy he fought the start problem, but he needs to be more consistent to win the big one.

I think NBE won it already, whatever happens to Perez' season, they won attention, and they're not considered as cheapper but poorer option for Merc CC engine.