Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Sep 2007, 04:06 (Ref:2024848)   #76
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that most of you don't agree with this, but I still think that the Danica spin had a good chance of being intentional. First Dario knew that if a yellow flag came out for just a few laps that he could make it to the finish without running out of fuel. If there was no caution then both Dario and Scott would have gone into the pits, and Dario probably knew that he couldn't beat Scott in that scenario. The only real way for Dario to beat Scott was for a caution to come out. Once the caution came out Scott had two options, one resulting in defeat, and the other resulting in a possible but highly unlikely victory. His fuel engineer knew that he probably wouldn't make it, but they didn't have a choice.

The Danica spin was very suspicious, I watched the race myself on TV. The theory of her locking up her brakes doesn't work for me because where she spun she should have been just a few mph over pit road speed and would have no need for excessive braking. She has been in the IRL long enough to know how to enter pit road safely. The in car camera looked really suspicious too with the way it showed her drive. Remember, before the race she said something like, "I want to help my teammates in any way I can."
Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:23 (Ref:2025003)   #77
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AGR has history aswell
Old 28 Sep 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2025115)   #78
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well without the last yellow Dixon would have had to pit. Surely, in that case, Dario could just have run very lean to the finish over the last laps what with having a massive lead.

I don't see how Danica spun on purpose there. There are better places to do it for a start.

It made no difference other than to give Dixon a shred of hope.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 22:38 (Ref:2025421)   #79
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well without the last yellow Dixon would have had to pit. Surely, in that case, Dario could just have run very lean to the finish over the last laps what with having a massive lead.

I don't see how Danica spun on purpose there. There are better places to do it for a start.
It would have been very hard or impossible for Dario to go all the way without the caution. Remember he ran out of fuel right after he crossed the finish line. There was no better time for Danica to spin that at the time that she did, and the length of the caution was perfect. It gave Dario just enough fuel to cross the finish line, but at the same time it made Scott stay out knowing that he would run out of fuel and lose the race. Like I said before, the Danica spin was really the only way for Dario to win the race.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 15:33 (Ref:2028000)   #80
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
It would have been very hard or impossible for Dario to go all the way without the caution. Remember he ran out of fuel right after he crossed the finish line. There was no better time for Danica to spin that at the time that she did, and the length of the caution was perfect. It gave Dario just enough fuel to cross the finish line, but at the same time it made Scott stay out knowing that he would run out of fuel and lose the race. Like I said before, the Danica spin was really the only way for Dario to win the race.
dario did not run out of fuel. he stopped the car on the pit straight (or stalled it ) after he got a tow and fired up again to drive back into victory lane.

without the caution or not, if dario ran out of fuel he would have run out after dixon, decalring him champion as he still would have beat him.

the danica incident really doesnt change, or make an impact on anything.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2028310)   #81
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And you have to take in account the quote from Scott after the race.

WE WERE HOPING FOR A CAUTION FLAG.

Old 2 Oct 2007, 01:41 (Ref:2028472)   #82
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
And you have to take in account the quote from Scott after the race.

WE WERE HOPING FOR A CAUTION FLAG.

I think that the kind of caution that he was talking about was the kind that happens after a crash and lasts a while, not the perfect-for-Dario one that happened.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 06:51 (Ref:2028568)   #83
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I think that the kind of caution that he was talking about was the kind that happens after a crash and lasts a while, not the perfect-for-Dario one that happened.
yes that would have been ideal for him, but he didnt get it! if danica didnt do what she did he would have got none, and would have had absolutley no hope at all in finsihing the race, making dario again champion.

face it, it was darios day, in reality scott wasnt going to ever win that race with the amount of fuel he had left.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 03:56 (Ref:2029521)   #84
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kieran, if they didn't get a caution flag then Dixon would surely have pitted and Dario would have been left with a decision. If Dario stayed out in that situation the roles might have been reversed, with Dario running out of fuel on the last lap and Dixon cruising by for the win. If both pitted Dixon would still have the track position advantage.

That's not what happend though and none of that proves the conspiracy theory.