Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2535427)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers who are Bankers and other part time jobs

So I learned from the TV that Fabio Leimer has a part time job in a Bank this weekend, as does/did F1 driver Romain Grosjean (I think he has now given it up). Anyone know what Banks they worked for? I know Grosjeans now sponsored by ING but I guess as he was in Switzerland its more likely to be one their own.

Any other drivers with interesting part time jobs we know of?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2535437)   #2
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally, at this level, "working in a bank" is code for my family owns a bank.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2535463)   #3
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Nicolas Prost's wikipedia article it states that "In 2007, he finished third in the Spanish Formula Three Championship. Besides racing, Nicolas Prost is working part-time for a Swiss bank as a Teller in Geneva."

I think I've also read something similar about Swiss driver Giorgio Mondini too.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2535465)   #4
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
So I learned from the TV that Fabio Leimer has a part time job in a Bank this weekend, as does/did F1 driver Romain Grosjean (I think he has now given it up). Anyone know what Banks they worked for? I know Grosjeans now sponsored by ING but I guess as he was in Switzerland its more likely to be one their own.

Any other drivers with interesting part time jobs we know of?
Imagine calling at the bank and kicking off with by Grosjean & Leimer about overdrafts
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2535466)   #5
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hulkenburg has been working in the Williams factory
Old 6 Sep 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2535523)   #6
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Normally, at this level, "working in a bank" is code for my family owns a bank.
Agree 100 %
Old 8 Sep 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2536604)   #7
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westley Barber (former Comtec driver) used to work in a fish and chip shop at the same time he was racing!
Old 8 Sep 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2536623)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Westley Barber (former Comtec driver) used to work in a fish and chip shop at the same time he was racing!
Delivering?
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2536660)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
No, behind the counter IIRC
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2536702)   #10
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Barber?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2536743)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great thread !

Until you get the higher echelons of the sport, most drivers [of working age] have a day job and/or come from a rich background that doesn't necessitate working. ITV used to feature some of the BTCC drivers' day jobs - Matt Neal at RimStock [which he owns (!)], Rob Collard at the demo company [which he owns]... and IIRC Adam Jones was working for a crash repair shop in Solihull. I believe Gavin and Aron Smith can be found behind the counter at their father's builders merchants in Dublin.

Among the more unusual day jobs - ex-F3 Kiwi racer Rob Wilson played for the band Edison Lighthouse and F1 journeyman and sometime truck racer Slim Borgudd was a session drummer and worked with Abba.

I'm sure people have tons more.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2536785)   #12
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart Hall was working for co-op whilst driving for Martin Shorts le mans team.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2536792)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Anthony Reid spent quite some time woring on North Sea Oil rigs to try and fund his single seater exploits in the mid 80's.

He wasn't the only one, I just can't remember the others!!
Old 8 Sep 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2536795)   #14
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
What happened to Barber?
He did a few rounds of Formula Ford last year in the new Comtec chassis. His last full season was in 2005 in the FR Eurocup and FR France, won on his debut in France and finished 2nd to Michael AmmermĂ¼ller on Eurocup debut . He got an ear infection and lost backing so he just started working. Said he always found getting backing too difficult so 'retired'. Such a shame considering his team-mates from 2004/05 in Comtec were Susie Stoddart and Pippa Mann...look at those two now. What an injustice! He was a dominant Uk Formula Ford champion, French Formula Renault Campus champion, was champion-on-the-road in US FF2000 and was vice-champion in UK Formula Renault to Mike Conway, beating Paul di Resta, Oli Jarvis, Craig Dolby etc!
Old 8 Sep 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2536796)   #15
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glock was working in some construction company.
Chris vd Drift was mechanic for Waldegard I think, someone of the rally WDCs! Came from NZ in EU to do this and search for racing career.
Arabadzhiev is managing/owns sugar factory
Of course the most famous part-time job for racing driver is Massa's one off pizza delivery, though I doubt he needed the cash
Old 9 Sep 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2537057)   #16
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.f3euroseries.com/newsausgabe.php?id=2513

Apparently F3 Euroseries racer Marco Wittmann has just completed his coachbuilder apprenticeship.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2537082)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was shocked to see Marc Hynes spannering for somebody in the Donnington paddock a few years ago AFTER his F3 championship win. He was underneath a single seater in overalls !
Old 9 Sep 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2537097)   #18
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
He has been Manor Motorsport's driver coach a few times over the past few seasons in Formula Renault, didn't realise he was also a mechanic!
Old 9 Sep 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2537117)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
He has been Manor Motorsport's driver coach a few times over the past few seasons in Formula Renault, didn't realise he was also a mechanic!
Well I'm not sure what his... but he was under a car with tools in his hands
Old 9 Sep 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2537125)   #20
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've raced against a few drivers who are .....Oops, sorry, just realised you wrote Bankers
Old 9 Sep 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2537155)   #21
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Banker is a convenient thing to call someone in the heat of the moment. "Use your mirrors, banker"! "What a banker in that Ferrari".
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2537400)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Adam and Riki Christodolou both work in a clothing factory because their dads own it! They talk about it on this vid briefly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XwblsJ0fA
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2537563)   #23
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perry McCarthy used to work on an oil rig to earn money for his racing career, too.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2537603)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

David Kennedy [and I think Derek Daly too] spent some time working in mines in Australia to support their racing.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2537645)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The Massa thing is something of a myth. Apparently as a young driver he was after a paddock pass for the Grand Prix. One of the teams said they'd give him a one as long as he helped with their catering. So he did a bit of fetching and carrying and whatnot.