Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Dec 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3946666)   #726
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...as-in-bahrain/

Toyota Gazoo Racing team director Rob Leupen says that GTE drivers have asked the manufacturer about how best to overtake its hybrid LMP1 cars in the 8 Hours of Bahrain.

-- "It’s not nice if a GTE-Am driver is saying that we’re a safety risk on the track"

They better get used to it as it will surely be topic of conversation next season with the hypertrucks as well
Old 14 Dec 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3946675)   #727
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems like the race started already lol, everyone's so very interested for Bahrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZN03ew1j2k

P2 might ultimately win this with these stumbles
Old 14 Dec 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3946676)   #728
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
Anyone know where I can watch WEC on UK TV?
Eurosport Player, but that’s subscription....
Old 14 Dec 2019, 12:19 (Ref:3946678)   #729
Deleted
Veteran

There's a Twitch link available in reddit

9 laps top 10 (26s apart):
Toyota-Ginetta-Toyota-Oreca07-Oreca07-Oreca07-Oreca07-Rebellion-Oreca07-Oreca07
But the second Toyota and Rebellion only barely passed Orecas recently
Old 14 Dec 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3946695)   #730
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I kind of looked forward to a fight between the Ginettas and the Rebellions. Now it feels they gifted Toyota track position early on, and with their staying power it feels a lot was lost in that second corner.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 15:21 (Ref:3946697)   #731
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Gte pro was fun for the little I was able to watch. Streaming on motortrend on demand and the quality is fairly chunky.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3946703)   #732
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As so often is the case, the GT battles are more interesting than LMP.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3946707)   #733
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There goes a Ginetta. Something broke on it
Old 14 Dec 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3946710)   #734
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Columbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAHRAIN WEC TV

Figured out WEC website claim that Bahrain 8hr would be live on BT Sport was BS so went out Christmas shopping until start of claimed live Eurosport coverage - turns out Eurosport is showing FIM Sepang 8hr bikes. Gave up and watched Live European Rugby Champions Cup instead.
With no one in the grandstands and no one watching on TV, I can see why the only new manufacturer committed to Hypercar is French. What a shame. If WEC doesn't get proper 21st century management soon, it will die long before the old mens club that runs it.

Last edited by Columbus; 14 Dec 2019 at 17:30.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3946716)   #735
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
On eurosport 2 at the moment so free for anyone with Sky i think
Old 14 Dec 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3946722)   #736
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Figured out WEC website claim that Bahrain 8hr would be live on BT Sport was BS so went out Christmas shopping until start of claimed live Eurosport coverage - turns out Eurosport is showing FIM Sepang 8hr bikes. Gave up and watched Live European Rugby Champions Cup instead.
With no one in the grandstands and no one watching on TV, I can see why the only new manufacturer committed to Hypercar is French. What a shame. If WEC doesn't get proper 21st century management soon, it will die long before the old mens club that runs it.
There's 3 OEMs committed to LMH so I don't know what you're on about

But what I really wanted to say is that what you're describing here, watching events from television itself is way of the old men. If these sports actually want to evolve and find new (young) audiences, streaming options are the only way to go. And hiding your product behind paywall is not the answer to that. But that's been discussed billion times already of course

Anyway, even if we were still in the glory days of LMP1 and you had everything being shown for free, you would never get attention for an event called 8 Hours of Bahrain held in the middle of December. The race exists purely for getting the pay check from the Kingdom of Bahrain
Old 14 Dec 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3946723)   #737
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
So it is! (Although TV guide still says "Live:FIM Endurance World Motorcycle Racing")
Thanks GT6, I'll tune in after rugby.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3946732)   #738
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So it is! (Although TV guide still says "Live:FIM Endurance World Motorcycle Racing")
Thanks GT6, I'll tune in after rugby.
You will catch the last half hour or so
Old 14 Dec 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3946737)   #739
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
There's 3 OEMs committed to LMH so I don't know what you're on about

But what I really wanted to say is that what you're describing here, watching events from television itself is way of the old men. If these sports actually want to evolve and find new (young) audiences, streaming options are the only way to go. And hiding your product behind paywall is not the answer to that. But that's been discussed billion times already of course

Anyway, even if we were still in the glory days of LMP1 and you had everything being shown for free, you would never get attention for an event called 8 Hours of Bahrain held in the middle of December. The race exists purely for getting the pay check from the Kingdom of Bahrain
What I'm on about is WEC's tiny audience driving manufacturer and sponsor money away to Formula E and other properly promoted series.

I didn't say Peugeot is the only manufacturer committed to Hypercar. I said it's the only New manufacturer. What about Aston Martin, I hear you say? They won't even be in business next season if they can't secure a massive financial bail-out (share price has collapsed 75% since flotation last year). Most likely investor is L Stroll and he'll be rebranding his Racing Point Formula 1 to promote AM, not spending on WEC.

Totally agree with you about broadcast/streaming and new/young audience. I hope you're not right about 8hr endurance racing being too dull to watch even if it's free.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3946744)   #740
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
While I agree there are lots of things I'd do differently if I ran WEC, I'm not sure why there are moanings about it being badly promoted. There's good info online, it's available on stream. It might not be on TV, but that does not make or break any racing these days.

Is the grandstands empty in Bahrain? Sure they are. That's how it looks like for most races I've watched in dictatorships in asia and the middle east. They are not racing there because there's a jumping local race culture.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3946745)   #741
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
While I agree there are lots of things I'd do differently if I ran WEC, I'm not sure why there are moanings about it being badly promoted. There's good info online, it's available on stream. It might not be on TV, but that does not make or break any racing these days.

Is the grandstands empty in Bahrain? Sure they are. That's how it looks like for most races I've watched in dictatorships in asia and the middle east. They are not racing there because there's a jumping local race culture.
Right. They're racing there because it either pays (Bahrain) or because it's a huge country/market, like in China's case. And they dropped China in the next season. So it tells me there's actually some higher ups that want an actual good venue and not just a place that says 'give me a race'. They do have to race on multiple continents to be a World Championship as well so there's that.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3946755)   #742
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i enjoyed that, OK LMP1 was pretty boring but other classes were good and as usual GT classes were the main point of interest
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3946759)   #743
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Right. They're racing there because it either pays (Bahrain) or because it's a huge country/market, like in China's case. And they dropped China in the next season. So it tells me there's actually some higher ups that want an actual good venue and not just a place that says 'give me a race'. They do have to race on multiple continents to be a World Championship as well so there's that.
They do have to race around the world. However no matter which continent model is used, this is satisfied by the race in Fuji. Adding Bahrain and Shanghai doesn't tick any more boxes.

A South American and Australian round should absolutely be covered. Does anyone know of a racing series which does NA, SA, Euro, Asia, Aus and Africa?
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3946765)   #744
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Closest would be F1, but they don't race on the African continent. Only continent that the WEC is missing is Aus. and Antarctica.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3946766)   #745
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Closest would be F1, but they don't race on the African continent. Only continent that the WEC is missing is Aus. and Antarctica.
Formula E has all bar Australasia
Old 14 Dec 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3946768)   #746
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Formula E has all bar Australasia
Seems pretty easy for WEC to go to The Bend, especially after AsLMS does the dummy run. Formula E can go anywhere obviously.

F1 has an issue in that Kyalami is a Grade 2 and cannot be used for F1 currently.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 22:27 (Ref:3946772)   #747
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
What I'm on about is WEC's tiny audience driving manufacturer and sponsor money away to Formula E and other properly promoted series.

I didn't say Peugeot is the only manufacturer committed to Hypercar. I said it's the only New manufacturer. What about Aston Martin, I hear you say? They won't even be in business next season if they can't secure a massive financial bail-out (share price has collapsed 75% since flotation last year). Most likely investor is L Stroll and he'll be rebranding his Racing Point Formula 1 to promote AM, not spending on WEC.

Totally agree with you about broadcast/streaming and new/young audience. I hope you're not right about 8hr endurance racing being too dull to watch even if it's free.
Aston Martin can do WEC with a relative shoestring budget now that it's a bop championship. They will have to only put out Lola-AMR level of effort at best yet they are still automatically guaranteed to win races.

I don't think 8 hour endurance race is too dull to watch, but 8 hour race at Bahrain certainly is.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 05:39 (Ref:3946792)   #748
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
With the Middle East, they pay the bills for a perceived status symbol. Also, the wealthy there buy a fair few Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, etc. It doesn't hurt either that their populations are fairly small and concentrated in a relative few major centers.

With China, yeah, it's a big market, but perhaps more for either budget car brands or status-symbol brands, which doesn't necessarily mean performance brands. As for Toyota, they're Japanese, and let's just say, China, Korea, and some others in the neighborhood have some long-lingering issues with what Japan did in the past.

I'm not going to re-hash two posts about The Bend, but for Australia, it's definitely not my choice. As for South America, Buenos Aires (if they could run the loop around the lake without butchering the place), Interlagos, or especially Potrero de los Funes would be great, but yeah, it's looking like we have what we have for a few seasons at least. Although, I'd like to think that the AsLMS going to Suzuka could open the door for a move in the Japanese round.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3946801)   #749
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Judging by the average speed (not the result!) through the race it's Oreca and #5 Ginetta who are going to get some "balance", while #8 Toyota to be given a bit of free air. So, it's going to be an easy win for #8, especially with their reliability levels.
Of course, it would be true only if "balance" works this way, and not ruled by show.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3946806)   #750
TF110
Veteran

United States
I thought it was decided on the results and not the performance? The #7 was a little less handicapped than the #8. They had slightly more hybrid power per lap. Ginetta needs work though. They are seemingly fast for a set period of time and fall off or just fail.