Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Apr 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2188718)   #376
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
I guess the only reason for professional drivers to really gain the sums of money they gain is because of the risk that their job implies while providing the great show. The rest of it is sheer fun. To me, the safety thing today is just redundant and an artificial notion behind which certain interests can be hidden.
I think professional race drivers are paid big money because they are really fast. I don't think racing would be any better if there were injuries often, plus a death or two each year. It doesn't make racing any better.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2188722)   #377
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Ralf Jüttner, technical director of Audi Sport: "We are obviously not happy about the contact between Pedro and Mike. We do not find it very beautiful but we also know that this is a race that it can happen and we see no grounds are to bear complaint with the race director. We do not make a big deal."

translation from endurance-info.com
haha that's either german or english translated to french then back to english.

Can you tell?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2188724)   #378
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
French->English at least, don't know but google translator is not perfect, most of that is probably from it
Old 28 Apr 2008, 00:58 (Ref:2188738)   #379
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the youtube poster is correct, looks like Ortelli wont be ready by LM. His description says compound fracture and dislocation of his ankle, not sure but sounds like longterm recovery there.
Looks like the car preformed great in protecting him from much worse, I'm sure it hurts but heavily modifying the track for what happens once is really over-reacting for an isolated thing. Tweaking on the cars some could help but nothing radical is warranted. And yes I know I sound callous and have never been lucky, or unlucky, enough to be in his position but would like to think I would think the same as I do from the safety of my couch.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2188744)   #380
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
OMG!! OMG!! That is one of the biggest accidents I have ever seen! How close was he to hitting the Audi in midair! So apparently Ortelli only has an injured ankle-I suspect he will miss LM, a big shame for Oreca but thank goodness Ortelli is alright (in perspective)-it could have been much worse.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 01:40 (Ref:2188753)   #381
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Another video from the crash: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lNkySVNNpog

This shows it in real time, plus the slowmo views and what McNish saw.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 06:14 (Ref:2188835)   #382
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07
OMG!! OMG!! That is one of the biggest accidents I have ever seen! How close was he to hitting the Audi in midair! So apparently Ortelli only has an injured ankle-I suspect he will miss LM, a big shame for Oreca but thank goodness Ortelli is alright (in perspective)-it could have been much worse.
Big shame for Oreca?
It is a pity for them, a car written off. They couldn't do anything about it being airborn. Just as with the take off of the DBR-9 over in ALMS, the cars aren't designed to go side or back ways at full speed. This with a bump in the grass made it all happen.
I can't get it, people debating the rules. They aren't the old GT1 end 90s which took off because air got under the front splitter.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 06:20 (Ref:2188838)   #383
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
The Imsa Porsche was disqualified due to an airbox infringement. So the Farnbacher Porsche inherits the victory.
The original GT2 class result was revised three hours after the race. The victory of the Porsche fielded by the IMSA Matmut Performance team with drivers Richard Lietz (Austria) and Raymond Narac (France) was revoked because the cable of the organisers’ data recording device had come loose. As a result, the second-placed Farnbacher Racing team moved up to first position. Winners of the GT2 class in Monza are therefore Porsche works driver Richard Westbrook, Allan Simonsen and Lars Erik Nielsen. - Porsche Press Release
Old 28 Apr 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2188853)   #384
Jimbob-18
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Jimbob-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Stephane recovers from his injuries soon. It would be a shame not to see him racing at LM or even Spa. Get well soon Stephane!
Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2188911)   #385
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I bet Nishy was saying his prayers last night ..... so close to being collected .

A credit to the design of the chassis constructor , that thing was sheding stuff all over the shop !!!

Wonder if Ortelli's injury will hamper his Le Mans efforts , not something you want to have to do with im sure , a still not 100% ankle , by the time LM arrives .

They already have their drivers picked ..... any reserve on their squad ?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2188927)   #386
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
If the youtube poster is correct, looks like Ortelli wont be ready by LM. His description says compound fracture and dislocation of his ankle, not sure but sounds like longterm recovery there.
Looks like the car preformed great in protecting him from much worse, I'm sure it hurts but heavily modifying the track for what happens once is really over-reacting for an isolated thing. Tweaking on the cars some could help but nothing radical is warranted. And yes I know I sound callous and have never been lucky, or unlucky, enough to be in his position but would like to think I would think the same as I do from the safety of my couch.
If Ortelli broke his ankle like that, I doubt that he would've walked away from the crash with as little help as has been reported. In the NASCAR Nationwide race, Franchitti broke his ankle and had to be helped to the ambulance-and it's estimated that Dario will be out for 3 weeks.

If Stephane could walk away from that accident with as little assistance as has been hinted at, there's little chance that his injury is as bad as Dario's, let alone worse. Ortelli might miss Spa if he and de Chaunac are uncomfortable with the healing of the injury, but Le Mans should see him back in the Oreca.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2188957)   #387
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just seen the video of the accident, I was listen to the race live and I RLM did not do it justice, glad than Stephane is not seriously injured and McNish must be wondering how many lives he has left.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2188970)   #388
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have they said what made the car veer so suddenly to the right?
Was it just unstable under breaking , or was it a mechanical fault?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2188996)   #389
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Brake disc failure? Or caliper?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2189028)   #390
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt
I have no sound on, I turned radio lemans off after here him use these rediculous nick names like 'Rocky'. I saw the stop go graphic appear right after he passed the audi after overshooting the chicane

Imagine if formula 1 announcers followed internet lingo and started to call michael schumacher 'Schuey' during the race and others called the Peugeot 'Pug'

Awwww, diddums!

Interesting reference to F1, as the commentators regularly referred to MS as 'Schuey' and, in Germany, 'Schumi', so you have lost your own argument there.

Never watched 'bike racing either, I see. If you had, you'd have heard references to Foggy, Poggi, and various others over the years.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2189059)   #391
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
@deggis: thanks for the Audi comment. I figured they wouldn't complain, but they also complain about rules in the ALMS so... who knows!

It was a strange weekend with all these accidents. Dario, Heikki, Dindo, Jamie C-W, Ortelli, the IndyCar pit accident... one of those weekends I guess.

Chris
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2189072)   #392
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you watch the video real close, the right rear wheel, or right rear suppension ( something in that area ) failed, and the leading edge of the right rear wheel bock and moves in. Then the car crashed.

My guess suppension failure under braking load.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2189105)   #393
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I bet Nishy was saying his prayers last night ..... so close to being collected .

A credit to the design of the chassis constructor , that thing was sheding stuff all over the shop !!!

Wonder if Ortelli's injury will hamper his Le Mans efforts , not something you want to have to do with im sure , a still not 100% ankle , by the time LM arrives .

They already have their drivers picked ..... any reserve on their squad ?
A lot of credit to McNish by IMMEDIATELY radioing his team to have the ambulance sent to pick up Ortelli. Thinking of your fellow driver at that point shows the kind of persone he is. Hats off.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2189118)   #394
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ..... NcNish seems to be one of those all round nice people .
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2189219)   #395
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No doubt, McNish is a top bloke in every sense of the word. Not just to have that concern, but to have the clarity of mind to pop on the radio immediately after the incident and correctly identify both the severity of the accident and the driver involved while continuing to manhandle an R10 at race pace, is truly stunning. It shows you why he's a racing driver and we are typing on forums...
Old 28 Apr 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2189310)   #396
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
Can't really see the contradiction... It's not restrictions on qualifying PACE, it's aero rules that they might change in order to generally slow the cars down.
Quote:
The ACO is considering a reduction in performances in LM P1 and
LM P2 for safety reasons, given the fact that the 3m 30s barrier was
breached in the 2007 race.
Discussions with the entrants will begin in 2008 to introduce such
measures in 2009 or 2010.
The modifications to be made will apply mainly to the bodywork, the
wings and the air restrictors, so that the LM P1 cars’ times will not
dip under 3m 30s over a lap of the Le Mans circuit.

P.S. Sorry for the late post.
3.30 is the arbitary figure the ACO have chosen which they do not wish to see broken, consistently, during a race. Qualifying pace is not factored in.

When regs are stable, and cars take great leaps forward each season, just as in F1, the organisors need to adjust regs to maintain what they judge to be acceptable current speeds.

Other than the Lola Aston Martin, petrol cars won't go under 3.30 during the race, consistently, this year, the diesels undoubtedly will.

In '09 we'll likely see all LMP1/2 cars with smaller, less effiecient rear wings, while diesels will likely recieve restrictor cuts around 5% and 25kg+ ballast to counter their torque advantage. Dependent on the pace of the Lola Aston Martin, homolgated engine restrictors may be brought closer in line with the Judds and AER's.

The net result will be cars in '09 will be within a second or two (ish) of the '08 pace , but petrol cars will be closer to the diesels.

Last edited by JAG; 28 Apr 2008 at 15:48.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2189316)   #397
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how did this Duncan Tappy guy do for Rollcentre?.....was he quick?........they finished the race so I'm assuming he was a good lad, would be good to see a young lad get noticed again, well done martin for giving him a chance me says.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2189324)   #398
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he was doing a decent job .. and so was Vanina

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Apr 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2189332)   #399
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob-18
I disagree, Monza needs to have a good look at itself. 2 Drivers injured in 2 different days aand Capello's quite big accident at the start as well doesn't boast well for the circuit. If it's all totally the cars, how come stuff like this hasn't happened at Barcelona, Spa, Nurb, Silverstone, ect in the past or in the case of Barcelona, this year already? Yes, the cars can be improved, any injury to a driver means the saftey can be improved, but the tracks need to be safe as well if the crash was at 250 km/h
An obvious solution for me would be to put gravel traps on the grassed areas before and aft the first chicane.

The Oreca car, at worst, would have rolled over a couple of times if it had dug into a gravel trap, rather then being launched by hard, uneven grass verges.

If it had actually made it's way to the other side of the track, it again would have dug into, and been slowed, by the second gravel trap, rather than the hard ground simply cartwheeling the car, as opposed to absorbing the energy.

The problem was that nothing was in place to slow a car that went off at that place/angle, and instead contributed to a more severe accident than neccessary.

Last edited by JAG; 28 Apr 2008 at 16:08.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2189346)   #400
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
he was doing a decent job .. and so was Vanina
Bet Dr . Ullrich doesnt think that . Didnt she take out the number 1 Audi ?