Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 Apr 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2189347)   #401
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no .. it was Capello that took the #1 out .. he moved to fast in front of her and clipped his rear

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Apr 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2189359)   #402
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
no .. it was Capello that took the #1 out .. he moved to fast in front of her and clipped his rear
Just like he clipped one of the Lizards in Sebring.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2189375)   #403
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
he was doing a decent job .. and so was Vanina
Vanina had a tough race with the Dindo incident and the spin, she recovered on the second stint. Tappy was pretty good all weekend and had a good debut.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2189398)   #404
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Jag, it's not practical to have gravel all around that chicane, unless you want a safety car almsot every single time a car goes off there (the Grand-Am race at Homestead had more caution time than green flag running because the cars kept getting stuck in the gravel).

On a more serious note, Oriol Servia and a hapless SRPII driver from some years back showed that cars are perfectly able to dig into gravel traps. I will admit that Servia had the befenfit of being launched off of another car before his nose dug into the gravel and sent him flying outside Turn 2 at Laguna Seca. The SRPII scenario, however, I'm fairly certain only involved contacted with other fendered cars. In that case, the car somehow ended up upside down over a gravel trap at Homestead, and the roll hoop dug in. With the momentum of the car, this drove the front of the car, and thus the driver's head, into the ground. David Coulthard also had a very rough ride (and almost turned over) through a gravel trap a few years ago at the Nurburgring.

I'd just do some thorough grading of the grass verge at that point; paved run-off is smooth, but pretty useless at arresting an out-of-control car.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2189462)   #405
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
An obvious solution for me would be to put gravel traps on the grassed areas before and aft the first chicane.

The Oreca car, at worst, would have rolled over a couple of times if it had dug into a gravel trap, rather then being launched by hard, uneven grass verges.

If it had actually made it's way to the other side of the track, it again would have dug into, and been slowed, by the second gravel trap, rather than the hard ground simply cartwheeling the car, as opposed to absorbing the energy.

The problem was that nothing was in place to slow a car that went off at that place/angle, and instead contributed to a more severe accident than neccessary.
I think once that car turned backwards/sideways at speed, it was all over. Even if he had stayed on the asphalt, I think that car was going to fly. The cause of the spin should be looked at harder than safety issues at the track. At some point a line must be drawn where you either accept the risk of racing or you don't race. Besides, all safety implements worked fine. The driver only has a broken ankle, although badly, no spectators were injured, etc.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2189480)   #406
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All credit to Nishy for recognising Ortelli, and to Dindo for admitting it was his fault.

Real shame for Rocky, defending when he didn't have to
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2189495)   #407
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder did Rocky know that the Pug had to serve a stop & go ?

Just seems strange that he would defend like that , when there is no reason .
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2189511)   #408
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
i'm guessing not.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2189518)   #409
alwayswatching
Rookie

alwayswatching should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When you watch the video real close, the right rear wheel, or right rear suppension ( something in that area ) failed, and the leading edge of the right rear wheel bock and moves in. Then the car crashed.

My guess suppension failure under braking load.
Probably either a toe link or a broken drive shaft, I'd favor the toe link.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2189549)   #410
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

The team manager or his engineer should supply this info.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2189551)   #411
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yes , obviously , but did he ?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2189593)   #412
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

he did, Pedro did not
Old 29 Apr 2008, 05:57 (Ref:2189798)   #413
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And I do think that the ACO needs to look at the floor design of the current LMP cars, as the angled outer sides of the floor pan seem to induce more lift in high speed spins than the normal flat bottoms did.

What was the motivation for this: expecting the raised side floors to function like a diffuser? Any aerodyamicist would tell you that anything like that is bound to produce lift. You never saw gound effect F1 cars get airborne from a simple spin because enough air couldn't get underneith the side skirts. And unless something broke on the car or dug into the ground(which also happened to Ortelli), an LMP900 car never got airborne like that. I'm just basing this off of footage of the JCW accident in practice when the Creation almost flipped over while spinning out on pavement.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2189800)   #414
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Didn't Bill Auberlin have a blowover in the BMW LMR at Road Atlanta?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2189821)   #415
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wonder did Rocky know that the Pug had to serve a stop & go?

Just seems strange that he would defend like that , when there is no reason.
There was some miscommunication with the team:
Quote:
But, unfortunately, there was a slight misunderstanding during radio communications. I was informed that the Peugeot was going to get a stop-and-go penalty after taking a short-cut in the chicane. But then he let me pass. For me, that made it pretty clear that he wasn’t going to get a penalty. Of course I didn’t know that he was supposed to get the stop-and-go for something totally different. When on the next lap he arrived on the outside of the end of the start-finish straight again, I defended the inside line once more. But he simply turned in and hit me, damaging my rim in the process. I had to pit and that meant my race was lost.
source: http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/04/...e-mans-series/
Old 29 Apr 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2189943)   #416
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
And I do think that the ACO needs to look at the floor design of the current LMP cars, as the angled outer sides of the floor pan seem to induce more lift in high speed spins than the normal flat bottoms did.

What was the motivation for this: expecting the raised side floors to function like a diffuser? Any aerodyamicist would tell you that anything like that is bound to produce lift. You never saw gound effect F1 cars get airborne from a simple spin because enough air couldn't get underneith the side skirts. And unless something broke on the car or dug into the ground(which also happened to Ortelli), an LMP900 car never got airborne like that. I'm just basing this off of footage of the JCW accident in practice when the Creation almost flipped over while spinning out on pavement.
I agree with you on this. While many have cited the front-flip characteristics, the study that produced this current aero shape also took into consideration the impact of large slip angles at high speeds and, hence, the angled outer sides of the floor. It would appear that this needs rethinking as it appears that there was lift generated when the car was sidewards in the video of JCW's shunt.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2190051)   #417
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:

That's ********, i'm sorry, but it is. We saw the old GT1s flip backward- the car lifted here and CAME BACK DOWN. It's not the car's fault it went up and down like that. It's the fault of the bumpy grass.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2190091)   #418
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You never saw gound effect F1 cars get airborne from a simple spin because enough air couldn't get underneith the side skirts. And unless something broke on the car or dug into the ground(which also happened to Ortelli), an LMP900 car never got airborne like that. I'm just basing this off of footage of the JCW accident in practice when the Creation almost flipped over while spinning out on pavement.
You can't possibly compare an F1 car with a prototype.

Can you link me to the footage of JCW's crash?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2190137)   #419
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to disagree with the comments of chernaudi and canam on the safety aspects of the LMP1 redesign - in all three of the 'airtime' incidents at Monza this weekend, I thought the cars performed remarkably well. Sure the cars went airborne, but IMO this was inevitable due to the nature of each accident.

The primary concern for me was that in each instance the cars did not flip end-over due to aerodynamic lift as we have seen all too often in the past. From Mulsanne's Corner:

Quote:
To reduce yaw induced instability, the ACO have adopted a unique chamfered floor section. In cross section, the bottom of the car is effectively wing-shaped. Therefore, when the car is induced into a yaw situation, the underfloor will be encouraged to generate downforce where as in the past the top surfaces have generated lifting forces in excess of the flat bottom's downforce. An additional yaw stabilizer will be large rear wing endplates. The endplate rules specify a maximum size of 300 mm x 765 mm but also a minimum area of 1000 cm^3.
Considering the purpose of the chamfered floor, I think that the design philosophy of the 'new' LMP cars kept each accident from evolving into something much more violent. Just take a look at Jamie Campbell-Walter's off in qualifying and its clear that in the yaw-induced environment (produced by the rear of the car snapping around on the grass) the car could easily have continued it's pitch-and-yaw roll over without the ACO's safety revisions - specifically the stabilizing effects (and drag) created by the rear wing and diffuser endplates, as well as the downforce produced by the chamfered floor section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmREizC5dI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLBf6N3xPA

Last edited by tblincoe; 29 Apr 2008 at 13:16.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2190139)   #420
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
That's ********, i'm sorry, but it is. We saw the old GT1s flip backward- the car lifted here and CAME BACK DOWN. It's not the car's fault it went up and down like that. It's the fault of the bumpy grass.

The grass doesnt generate lift , the car did at speed , with respect to the angle of attack of the floor pan relative to speed .
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:22 (Ref:2190145)   #421
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
I have to disagree with the comments of chernaudi and canam on the safety aspects of the LMP1 redesign - in all three of the 'airtime' incidents at Monza this weekend, I thought the cars performed remarkably well. Sure the cars went airborne, but IMO this was inevitable due to the nature of each accident.

The primary concern for me was that in each instance the cars did not flip end-over due to aerodynamic lift as we have seen all too often in the past. From Mulsanne's Corner:

Considering the purpose of the chamfered floor, I think that the design philosophy of the 'new' LMP cars kept each accident from evolving into something much more violent. Just take a look at Jamie Campbell-Walter's off in qualifying and its clear that in the yaw-induced environment (produced by the rear of the car snapping around on the grass) the car could easily have continued it's pitch-and-yaw roll over without the ACO's safety revisions - specifically the stabilizing effects (and drag) created by the rear wing and diffuser endplates, as well as the downforce produced by the chamfered floor section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmREizC5dI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLBf6N3xPA
Firstly, thanks for the links, an interesting accident that.

Certainly, as far as i can tell, it's done absolutely everything the rules designed it to.

Top job, ACO.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2190155)   #422
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jamie had some problems with Ascari earlier on. This is a shot I took during the first warm up on Friday. He landed on all four wheels...

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg11421hc1.jpg
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2190157)   #423
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching them all again in succession, there is certainly a common trait and this trait is that they took off when perpendicular to their trajectory.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2190163)   #424
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
Jamie had some problems with Ascari earlier on. This is a shot I took during the first warm up on Friday. He landed on all four wheels...

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg11421hc1.jpg
wow, new look ascari!

But yes, it seems to be quite unstable sometimes. remember le mans last year- can't all be driver error.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2190165)   #425
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
wow, new look ascari!

But yes, it seems to be quite unstable sometimes. remember le mans last year- can't all be driver error.
should you have known when I had said Curva del Vialone?