Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3515479)   #1
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Track Changes At Spa

Just seen this posted on Facebook/Twitter.

Sausage Kerbs at Eau Rouge/Radillion.

How long until car will be taking off into the barriers.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3515482)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Make them more careful about going off there
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3515488)   #3
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Should be interesting at the start of the Spa 24H then...
Old 15 Mar 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3515495)   #4
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I applaud the idea, hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3515509)   #5
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that in the same interview where that change was announced, they also mentioned that grass would be reintroduced at Blanchimont. Any news on that?
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3515513)   #6
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They look like speed bumps to me, which is not good at all!
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3515522)   #7
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course the left run off of the radillion/eau rouge can't be enlarged more than that, but anyway is not the safest place to place those kerbs IMHO.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3515534)   #8
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Honestly I can't see this going well at the start of the Spa 24h. The intent is noble though, so I hope it doesn't contribute to any potentially dangerous incidents.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3515541)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wow. Track changes for the better shock!

Will they keep them for the F1 though? I doubt it.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3515566)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sometimes it's not a conscious choice.

Doesn't seem like the most optimum solution. Quite a few drivers have expressed concerns on Twitter but it's difficult to really see the extent of the bumps from the picture.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3515579)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How long will they keep those there? Might be a temporary thing.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3515596)   #12
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Would be a reasonably good idea at preventing cars from crossing the inside line too far were it not for the fact that many cars also venture into this area unwanted. And then, it's just outright dangerous...
Old 16 Mar 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3515708)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put it down to drivers constantly ignoring track limits, something had to be done.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 08:05 (Ref:3515710)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Put a moat there, with sharks. They might avoid it then.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 08:19 (Ref:3515713)   #15
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Put it down to drivers constantly ignoring track limits, something had to be done.
Easier and safer to have an electronic strike system. Stray too far left the first 2 times in the race and get a warning, every time after that for the whole race get 5 seconds added to your race time per indiscretion.

Now there's a chance to do serious damage to the car or get sent into the wall.

Sometimes you get it wrong at Eau Rouge especially with traffic so you need an out.

It's like saying the massive run off at pouhon shouldn't be there.

You lose it there and you're in the fence most times anyway, but the extra real estate can help.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3515756)   #16
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's not the drivers fault that FIA has sterilized most of the major European and Asian circuits for kindergarten-level of safety. When no one punishes you for shortcutting why not ignore the 'rules'

But anyway. While I OBVIOUSLY agree that something needs to be done, especially with this circuit, why not just reintroduce grass and gravel instead of this dangerous car-into-air-launching-mess.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3515765)   #17
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's not the drivers fault that FIA has sterilized most of the major European and Asian circuits for kindergarten-level of safety. When no one punishes you for shortcutting why not ignore the 'rules'

But anyway. While I OBVIOUSLY agree that something needs to be done, especially with this circuit, why not just reintroduce grass and gravel instead of this dangerous car-into-air-launching-mess.
I too wonder if a stripe of grass would be safer than these kerbs. They appear flatter than those which launched Heidfeld and Tereshchenko into the air, but still high enough to make a driver lose control over his car. Eau Rouge is a difficult corner, because regardless of the type of runoff, losing control will likely result in a big accident. I don't know why a slow corner such as Les Combes needs tarmac runoff, but in case of Eau Rouge, it might be justified.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3515800)   #18
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3515936)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Electronic technology to penalise drivers for exceeding track limits is already being used, and could have been adopted for Radillon. My guess is that the 'speed humps' were cheaper!

Sensors have already been introduced at some MSV tracks that trigger cameras on certain corners. I know Brands and Snetterton have them. Run a wheel over a sensor the wrong side of the limit line and you're nicked! It's then up to race control to take action, of course, which introduces a human element. The speed humps pictured will act as judge and jury without applying any CoC common sense or benefit of doubt...

Most cars I've raced at Spa have been on skinny Dunlop cross plies, and produce front end lift rather than downforce. Radillon is always difficult, but introduce an unseen trail of coolant, fuel or oil into the equation (or local rain shower!) and that run off area suddenly becomes your saviour. It is not uncommon either to have cars overtaking up the hill, leading to the possibility of one or other party being forced wide.

I'm all for any cars using run off areas to gain an advantage being penalised, but IMHO those humps are not good way of doing it......
Old 16 Mar 2015, 23:28 (Ref:3516063)   #20
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Also La Source is getting a curb behind the curb
Old 17 Mar 2015, 05:30 (Ref:3516121)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not before time !
LeRadillion is a fabulous part of Spa, as long as you get the hump (just before the top )correct as its this that catches a lot of drivers/cars out.
If you get the chance take a walk up and look back down, youll then see how much difference there is in elevation to the norm.
Get Eau Rouge entry right is a good way to start.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 07:02 (Ref:3516142)   #22
Pontlieue
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post

Also La Source is getting a curb behind the curb
Unlike Raidillon, putting them at La Source is perfectly ok. It's a very slow corner, and at every start I've seen in Spa in recent years, someone took advantage from running wide there.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3516274)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not before time !
LeRadillion is a fabulous part of Spa, as long as you get the hump (just before the top )correct as its this that catches a lot of drivers/cars out.
So what you are saying, Terence, is that the unfortunate driver that gets 'caught out' should be penalised by (possibly) being launched into the air, (possibly) losing control, and (possibly) hitting something hard? Not sure I would agree.

And as said before, it's not always that drivers fault!

I've got no issue with La Source kerb, the run off is definitely used to advantage by some....
Old 17 Mar 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3516313)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
Unlike Raidillon, putting them at La Source is perfectly ok. It's a very slow corner, and at every start I've seen in Spa in recent years, someone took advantage from running wide there.
same opinion here - especially with the low single seaters there should really be some disincentive to take to the run-off so easily. they were certainly never good at penalising everyone who ran wide, and it's difficult to do so without making a mess of the pack.

the only worry is perhaps that going over those kerbs can create forces in the wrong direction that bend suspension which then gives way in a faster section of the track with more forces. specially there where they would in all liklihood hit them sideways.

but it's going to be a while before we're back at grass and gravel again, so this is a step in the right direction, imo.

on another note, nice to see the weather is rubbish at spa as usual
Old 17 Mar 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3516443)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So what you are saying, Terence, is that the unfortunate driver that gets 'caught out' should be penalised by (possibly) being launched into the air, (possibly) losing control, and (possibly) hitting something hard? Not sure I would agree.

And as said before, it's not always that drivers fault!

I've got no issue with La Source kerb, the run off is definitely used to advantage by some....
And the run off at Le Radillion is used regularly for advantage as well Mike.The reason why drivers regularly get a diagram of what is allowed and what isnt.Do you think these "rumble sections"have not been tried and tested by the FIA.They would probably have thoughts about biulding a wall instead if these were not available.These are put in because of the drivers who regularly use this section, book full of reports from one season helped the decision along I think.
Why would the RACB and FIA install something they considered dangerous?