Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Aug 2003, 22:19 (Ref:692666)   #1
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part time marshals

As our numbers seem to be shrinking how about form of job share?
Several marshals work shifts or may have other things to do so why not when volentering for a meeting say that you can attend between say 08:30 & 12:00. You could be placed at a post that allows an easy exit. You could then be replaced by somone else who has had to drop someone off at an airport and would only be available from 11:30.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:34 (Ref:693244)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Part time marshals

Quote:
Originally posted by flagwaver
As our numbers seem to be shrinking how about form of job share? Several marshals work shifts or may have other things to do so why not when volentering for a meeting say that you can attend between say 08:30 & 12:00. You could be placed at a post that allows an easy exit. You could then be replaced by somone else who has had to drop someone off at an airport and would only be available from 11:30.
If we had stacks of spare Marshals this might work. The problem is usualy finding enough people to turn up in the first place!

Then there is the oft used maxim "you need to be on the one point for as long as you can - to get your eye in". Maybe some truth to it with quick open wheelers but experienced Marshals tend to be "on the job" no matter how long or short their time on point.

I think a more important question that needs to be solved is how we encourage new Marshals to come along and take some of the pressure of the regulars.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:29 (Ref:693441)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but if i stayed on post doing the morning shift longer than twelve would i get overtime?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:14 (Ref:693743)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
but if i stayed on post doing the morning shift longer than twelve would i get overtime?
Yeah of course, you can have double your normal rate of pay!!
Old 21 Aug 2003, 14:54 (Ref:694488)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
Old 21 Aug 2003, 19:43 (Ref:694732)   #6
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll nominate myself for the 11:30 shift, getting up for 7:45 is getting harder and harder.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 19:46 (Ref:694738)   #7
sss
Veteran

England
aparantly if you get an ugly wife its easy!
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:13 (Ref:694898)   #8
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shifts! Great! That will make a Chief Marshals life even more complicated - unless of course, the Chief Marshal on the other shift does the allocations.

Anyway, shifts are nothing new in motorsport, I think they are already used in Race Control, that can be the only reason for needing so many Clerks up there can't it???
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:25 (Ref:694914)   #9
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
I am sure another ball for the Chief Marshal to juggle won't be too hard.(hides as balls of various shapes heads his way)
I've herd one reason for having so many clerks is to intimadate MSA Stewards into letting meetings go that are short of marshals (joke)
Old 22 Aug 2003, 17:12 (Ref:695793)   #10
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there ever any meetings that are oversubscribed with Marshalls?
Old 22 Aug 2003, 19:12 (Ref:695904)   #11
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pub meetings...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:08 (Ref:698257)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevespurr
CART/BTCC at Brands this year.

Brands FF Festival can also be.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:12 (Ref:698260)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hill climbs sometimes get a bit full. We ran a stand down rota last Shelsley and Gurston could have held hands to halfway up the hill. I've never known there to be too many, though.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:41 (Ref:699267)   #14
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Goodwood Revival is
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:59 (Ref:699295)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Steve, there used to be years ago. I remember once being turned down for a meeting at Brands, which was being held on my birthday. The birthday cake had been organised by my friends and then I got the letter saying I wasn't wanted. Clubs can't afford to turn marshals away so because of that I've always refused to go.

You at Mallory this week? If so, tell your sister I've got our new transport. All it needs is a scrut label, extinguisher sticker and electric cut off switch. If anyone knows where I can get the last two items by Sunday I'd be glad of information. Perhaps there are some drivers out there with spare ones?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 23:00 (Ref:703092)   #16
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
Well having missed the odd shapes have decided to raise head again. I still think the idea has some merits, as well as draw backs.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 09:25 (Ref:703244)   #17
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Hill climbs sometimes get a bit full. We ran a stand down rota last Shelsley and Gurston could have held hands to halfway up the hill. I've never known there to be too many, though.
This confirms a discussion I had with DW this week about Gurston, however I speak as an ex chief marshal when I say that there is no such thing as too many marshals...the chief that turns someone away one week will come to regret the decision later in the year when he/she is scratching their heads at 8 in the morning wondering how to cover the job.

Year before last I was leaving my option open on volunteering at the start of the season due to possible C of C commitments. Talking with DW I realised on a friday that I could be free to do a day at a nearby circuit on the monday. I phoned the Chief Marshal to volunteer there and then. I was asked why I had not filled out the forms at the start of the year and that it was unfair of me to expect them to change the rules for me when I had not coplied with ther rules from the start of the season! At this point i said do you want me or not. The reply was that they had enough already but I could turn up although I might have trouble getting through security...As i arrived security waved their usual good morning greeting and I parked with no trouble at all. At sign on I was asked to flag as they were short of flaggies....I had never done it before! Had a good day nevertheless but have since decided that I don`t need such grief and so haven`t been there since choosing instead to travel to Silverstone where I have never had a problem and have always been made welcome by offials and marshals alike.
Yes I know I have gone on a bit BUT, If I am deterred what will a rookie marshal do faced with the same ?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 19:52 (Ref:703538)   #18
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
Look if you expect marshals to hold hands im off
Me and the missus holding hands, hell we have been for 20 years. Mind you we don't go out marshalling together often now.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 21:27 (Ref:703621)   #19
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my corner of the world, we have several marshals who trade off. They are usually couples with children that need looking after. One works in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Sometimes marshals team up to watch each others' kids. The important thing is to make sure the organizers are aware that you will not be able to work a whole day as soon as you can.