2008 regs

2008 regulations anounced

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=26770
Old 21 Dec 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1488214)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Officially here.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1488215)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hmm... Slicks, single tyre manufacturer- nice. Standard control unit, split wing, rev limited engines, limitations on aero research (impossible to police) - yuk!
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1488218)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Full version here.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1488223)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There is a maximum downforce rule of 12500N.

Crankshaft rotational speed not to exceed 19,000rpm.

Rear wheel/tyre diameter of 710mm.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1488225)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Bridgestone presents Formula 1 2008 powered by Ford".

What's the FIA doing? These rules will make the Formula 1 from pinnacle to pariah of motorsport. The FIA has really become estranged from the crowd.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1488227)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well,it would just end up Honda vs Toyota anyway.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1488251)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I support just about every measure announced here.

As with any proposal from the FIA half the forumers will simply criticise - often the same people who moan about teams pulling out/no overtaking etc.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1488258)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know why people are so quick to diss what's been introduced.

FIA is making a real effort, and let's admit it.. the current formula does have weakness and the new rules look more likely to improve the situation than not by addressing them.

Restriction of number of times of aero-dynamic updates/types of aero research
- i don't really like it, as one of my interest is to follow the aerodynamic updates from race to race on F1.com. But allowing unlimited aerodynamic updates have only proven itself to benefit rich/top teams from pulling themselves further ahead of the privateers even further, and mid-field teams are unlikely to be able to exploit windtunnels as much as the rich teams.

Standard ECU
It would be a direct reduction in cost of development, as well as giving FIA greater control over electronics. I hope this can successfully lead to removal of traction control.

Increase tyres dimension/single tire
A balance to be struck here. Having slicks and wider tyres will help improve mechanical grip, but it is important that the sole manufacturer doesn't go for overly conservative tyres that have a negative counter effect on tyre-grip.

Permitted Materials
Hmm..tricky how FIA plans to check on this, but i think it's important for FIA to maintain F1 as a leader in sports, and lead advancement. While banning overly expensive materials are good for lower teams, it does stifle advancement. I hope FIA hopes to update the materials constantly to keep teams on their toes in material developement, while banning unneccessary expensive/harmful/exotic materials which serve little purpose.

As a whole, i think the proposed new rules are pretty much acceptable.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1488267)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
As with any proposal from the FIA half the forumers will simply criticise - often the same people who moan about teams pulling out/no overtaking etc.
Yep, and I'm one of them. I criticise the FIA, and in particular its president, because it’s responsible for the ridiculous regulations we have now. Because it’s responsible for tight rules which have made it too difficult to overtake.

Ask yourself: would there be room for persons like Colin Chapman in the current Formula 1? Would there be room for inventions like turbo-charged engines, semi-automatic gearboxes and venturis were?

I had to answer these questions with "no". That's a shame for Formula 1, because it was once the outspoken racing class for technical innovations.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1488298)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Yep, and I'm one of them. I criticise the FIA, and in particular its president, because it’s responsible for the ridiculous regulations we have now. Because it’s responsible for tight rules which have made it too difficult to overtake.

Ask yourself: would there be room for persons like Colin Chapman in the current Formula 1? Would there be room for inventions like turbo-charged engines, semi-automatic gearboxes and venturis were?

I had to answer these questions with "no". That's a shame for Formula 1, because it was once the outspoken racing class for technical innovations.
I don't think it was the FIA that made it difficult to overtake!

There are people like Colin Chapman in F1,in fact there are more of them!
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1488380)   #12
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I largely support the new regs but there are some that have really annoyed me. The introduction of the rule where only 2 cars may be brought to each event is one of these. What happens if a driver has a big crash in one of the practice sessions & ruins part of the chassis of his car? Does this mean that the spectators will have to suffer come the race because some of the drivers cannot race due to damage? This rule also prevents 3rd drivers which is a shame as it is one of the best ways for new drivers to come into F1 & to get noticed. However I am very happy that standard electricals & slicks are being brought in, along with the dropping of the rules whereby teams cannot sell their chassis' etc. to other teams-a great move. Roll on more teams!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1488382)   #13
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From ITV-F1:

Quote:
From 2009, teams will be permitted to make only two changes of bodywork after the start of the season

Is that as two redesigns of any bit of the bodywork? If so, goodbye Formula one....
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1488386)   #14
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's some good things, one tyre supply, slicks, areo changes that might allow overtaking to happen, standard ECU and some poor ones, 3 race engines, 4 race geaboxes, weight penalties, engines rev limited, two cars per event.

I only hope that Max/FIA can, for once , settle on a set of regulations and not start back tracking like they normally do, resulting in the half baked regulations we currently suffer.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1488387)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
I largely support the new regs but there are some that have really annoyed me. The introduction of the rule where only 2 cars may be brought to each event is one of these. What happens if a driver has a big crash in one of the practice sessions & ruins part of the chassis of his car? Does this mean that the spectators will have to suffer come the race because some of the drivers cannot race due to damage? This rule also prevents 3rd drivers which is a shame as it is one of the best ways for new drivers to come into F1 & to get noticed. However I am very happy that standard electricals & slicks are being brought in, along with the dropping of the rules whereby teams cannot sell their chassis' etc. to other teams-a great move. Roll on more teams!

If a driver crashes in one of the practice sessions, the team would build up a car from the spare tub and parts they always carry.

Having a rule to prevent teams bringing three (or four) cars ready to race is sensible one.

It's never proved a problem in F3 or GP2, where the teams only have 1 car per driver with them - why is F1 any different.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1488470)   #16
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA can ban anything they like but the teams will keep SPENDING. You can ban testing and the teams will build huge and sophisticated simulators to do simulations. You put in a CDG wing and teams will hire extra wind tunnels to do extra tests.

The only way to limit costs is to actually put in a budget cap. At the very least there should be a limit on team personnel permitted at every race.

Quote:
I find it interesting that KB ALWAYS instantly support EVERYTHING the FIA comes up with.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1488577)   #17
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If a driver crashes in one of the practice sessions, the team would build up a car from the spare tub and parts they always carry.

Having a rule to prevent teams bringing three (or four) cars ready to race is sensible one.

It's never proved a problem in F3 or GP2, where the teams only have 1 car per driver with them - why is F1 any different.
yeah but what if this (link) happens on sunday morning,(no chance of building a new car in time, thats what factories are for) Crashes will happen but the FIA want more cars on the grid, somethings got to give and hopefully itll be the FIA, spare cars are important.

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/750.html <--- look at Narains crash in the jordan.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1488581)   #18
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I don't think it was the FIA that made it difficult to overtake!
Oh, the FIA is responsible for the lack of overtaking, as it made the cars rely to much on the wings.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1488592)   #19
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they will be 2.4 L V8s, that are not able to exceed 19 thousand RPM. How will they produce there power then? I guess they will be slower then champcars.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1488626)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minimum weight is being reduced, instead of increased!
How about increasing it, and banning ballast?!
Old 22 Dec 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1488651)   #21
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I don't see why this needs to be said ?? Its a forum and the I thought the idea was that people with differing opinions offered them and others answered from which interesting debates sprung up and other posters / readers learnt new information ! This just seems to be a disrespectful and inflammatory remark to posters who will have a differing view to yours

My own personal point of view is that I can understand why measures need to be taken to (a) ensure the smaller teams can have some chances and therefore remain in the sport and (b) a sporting spectacle of close competition with overtaking is required for the spectators.

I am also an avid believer that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and it worries me that blankey measures can detract from that in this particular case standard ECU's and a set maximum RPM limit, this lends itself tocomparisions with the sealed standardised engine used by lower formulae is formula audi etc .... now that I do not want to see ....

Sometimes the FIA comes across as arbitary and draconian and it would be goood for all to see a bette synergy between the FIA and the teams
Old 22 Dec 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1488786)   #22
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Merge with CART and call it FART because that what a spec series is.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1488821)   #23
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
what a load of rubbish! max is destroying the f1 with his daft ideas... cars will end up look silly and pathetic
Old 22 Dec 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1488825)   #24
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
The only way to limit costs is to actually put in a budget cap.
that is quite possibly the most sensible thing iv heard on this forum.put in all the safety regs,limit the budget to lets say $m120 and assign all the teams an FIA accountant to make sure they stay below it.i know some teams will allready have certain things in place such as wind tunnels but just limit their use
Old 22 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1488965)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
I don't see why this needs to be said ?? Its a forum and the I thought the idea was that people with differing opinions offered them and others answered from which interesting debates sprung up and other posters / readers learnt new information ! This just seems to be a disrespectful and inflammatory remark to posters who will have a differing view to yours

So you're allowed your opinion but I'm not to express mine

I hardly see how people saying "the series should be called FART, F1 will die" etc etc amounts to a "debate" or "learning new information".