Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1548154)   #1
Lord X
Rookie

Lord X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC driver research

Hello. I wondered if anyone can tell me how many races Dave Pinkney did in the Terry Drury Racing Sierra in the 1989 BTCC and also Mike Jordan in a Peugeot 309. Also, does anyone know if Pinkney raced in the BTCC at the after that and maybe how many races? if you can post facts here great, if not send me a pm.

Many thanks
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1548167)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Pinkney did the full season IN '89 IIRC. Tim Harvey drove the other TDR Cossie.

Jordan did pretty much full season with the 309, possibly missing a couple of rounds though. It was a shame because the 309 was outclassed in comparison with the Astra and arguably even the 16v Golf so Mike couldn't show what he could do.

Pinkney did a season of privateers with a BMW in 1992 or 1993 as well I think, sorry I can't tell you how many races though.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1548178)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Pinkney also did a handful of races in 2001 in an Alfa Romeo 147.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1548202)   #4
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere else on here (an old thread, but read it earlier today) that Mike Jordan only did a handful of rounds before giving up as the 309 wasn't up to much.

There was a 309 at the GP support round, tho, which i'd presume to be him.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1548260)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got Mike Jordan appearing at seven BTCC events in the Peugeot before giving up on the cause at the end of July at Brands Hatch.

He was indeed the only Peugeot at the GP the week before, though.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1548309)   #6
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.btcc-racing.com/drivers/jordan.asp
http://www.btcc-racing.com/drivers/pinkney.asp

pinkney also registered an entry for the 92 championship, the somewhat sarcastic explanation in the yearbook reads

"David Pinkney also registered in a Ford Sapphire bought from Dave Brodie. He arrived at the Grand Prix meeting without his V6 engine, and did not run"
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1548317)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
I've got Mike Jordan appearing at seven BTCC events in the Peugeot before giving up on the cause at the end of July at Brands Hatch.
From a vague memory of reading an interview with Mike Jordan somewhere, didn't they start the season with the 8-valve version of the 309GTI as a temporary measure until the 16-valve version was homologated?- the 8-valve was totally uncompetitive, so they called it a day when homologation of the 16v engine was badly delayed?

Pinkney didn't run a full season in his BMW in 94- he didn't appear after the GP support at Silverstone (round 9), apart from one further outing at Brands (round 13).

I don't know how many races he did in the Terry Drury RS500 in 89, but don't think it was a full season either. I don't have full results to hand, but I think TDR started the season with 3 cars for Pinkney, Mike O'Brien, and Robin Donovan (not Harvey- he drove for TDR the year before), but I'm not sure any of them did every round.

I'm sure they only ran 2 cars at times, and according to the results I've got, the lineup for round 13 at Silverstone was O'Brien, Andrew Hepworth and Jon Dooley.

I think Pinkney was certainly with the team up to the GP meeting, but I don't have many results to hand after that point- hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps

It's an odd thought that they're two of the most experienced drivers lining up in the BTCC this year, both made their BTCC debut in the late 1980's, and I don't think either has ever done a full season in the series....
Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1549668)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD

Got a feeling it was at Birmingham in August - makes sense if he was running in front of his local crowd?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1549719)   #9
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the video (highlights) of the Birmingham '89 race, and there's no mention of Jordan. The leaders are shown lapping John Morris' Golf, Jeremy Rossiter's Astra and a couple of unnamed cars that look like Golfs but it's poor quality film and they could be class D cars.

If Rossiter was there then it seems like Vauxhall were putting out that extra car to get Cleland more points, so Jordan was gone.

Round 7 (GP Support at Silverstone) - Jordan is mentioned by name during some in-car footage from Tony Crudgington.

Round 9 (Snetterton) - Rossiter was also racing there (as above), Jordan not mentioned.

The recurring theme of these races seems to be Mike Smith getting it very wrong very early! (he wasn't at Snetterton so they showed him crashing at Round 8 instead)
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1549722)   #10
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the 1989 Birmingham Superprix race programme but I haven't got it with me so I can't really help whether if Jordan did race in the BTCC race.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1549724)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spookily, Bigears - I was about to post an almost identical post!

The difference being that my Brum programme is under half a hundredweight of other ones at this precise moment and I daren't take on the teetering mountain that's facing me.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1550451)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew Dave Pinkney quite well at that time and I know he ALWAYS entered a car for the GP support race just to get free admission to the circuit. It did not matter about actually racing. cool!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1578669)   #13
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Finally dug out my 1989 BSP programme.

According to the entry list of the BTCC race, it mentioned Mike Jordan for the Team Eurotech with their Peugeot 309 GTi.

It didn't mention of Dave Pinkney at all in the entry list.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1578717)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.btccpages.com/rounds/1989/ suggests that Pinkney didn't score points in 1989. http://www.btccpages.com/rounds/1990/ is the same. He is listed as racing but not scoring overall championship points for 1992 though.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1590764)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears
Finally dug out my 1989 BSP programme.

According to the entry list of the BTCC race, it mentioned Mike Jordan for the Team Eurotech with their Peugeot 309 GTi.

It didn't mention of Dave Pinkney at all in the entry list.
If I remember correctly, Mike Jordan entered the 1989 BSP Touring car race, but pulled out with some sort of problem at the start of the race...

I must also say what a skilled driver & engineer he is (as his subsequent career showed since then).
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1591166)   #16
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
According to the Autosport's race report, it said that Mike Jordan had to withdraw before the start with a gearbox problem.