Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 May 2014, 07:23 (Ref:3406859)   #26
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I've started wondering is why make lightweight Es, wouldn't it be better/more profitable to complete the run of XKSSs, at least there would be no argument about the fact that they once intended to make them.
Old 16 May 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3406864)   #27
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've wondered why they don't build an XJ13 for historic racing. I'm sure with factory blurb they'd admit it at Goodwood etc.
Old 16 May 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3406885)   #28
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Green

How will the new oil leaking system be implemented in an environmentally friendly and acceptable manner? anyone?
Old 16 May 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3406914)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
I've wondered why they don't build an XJ13 for historic racing. I'm sure with factory blurb they'd admit it at Goodwood etc.
Would be fantastic but they would be like Chevron B8's a very pretty car that is uncompetitive in current historic races (too late for pre 66 and too early to play with the big boys) and of course never run at Le Mans (mind you nor did 65 911's so I guess that is less important for LMC!)

I hope this is not history repeating itself. Last time Jaguar commissioned a small run (XJ220) that was the top of the market......
Old 20 May 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3408181)   #30
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frankel's take on it in Motor sport is, as ever, interesting.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...-the-classics/
Old 20 May 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3408184)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I might be able to sell this to Jag. I have a few jars, new old stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Smokekit2.jpg  
Old 20 May 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3408255)   #32
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm pretty sure they cannot build XKSS anymore, as the allocated numbers WERE built, then destroyed in an unfortunate fire in a building stuffed with unsold cars that nobody wanted, plus a large quantity of spares for older Jags that had been over ordered for production 10 years earlier. I believe there were several D Types as well. All having been WELL insured first.

Or so I was told when I worked there, in the early noughties.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3408292)   #33
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Jaguar wouldn't need to build any more XKSS or Dtypes, there's already far more genuine ones than were ever built in the first place.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3408295)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So very true. But why then bother with 6 more lightweights?
Old 20 May 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3408321)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'm pretty sure they cannot build XKSS anymore, as the allocated numbers WERE built, then destroyed in an unfortunate fire in a building stuffed with unsold cars that nobody wanted, plus a large quantity of spares for older Jags that had been over ordered for production 10 years earlier. I believe there were several D Types as well. All having been WELL insured first.

Or so I was told when I worked there, in the early noughties.
Hmm, going back to my college days the Browns Lane fire was a source of education in terms of fire management. IIRC it was an example of a factory that was built with escape in mind. Basically they installed vents in the roof so in the event of a fire, the smoke would escape, giving the occupants a better opportunity to get out.

Then again didn't the fire start at night when the place was empty?
Old 20 May 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3408324)   #36
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I suppose if Jaguar don't have them built then someone else will do.
Old 20 May 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3408328)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hasn't that already happened?
Old 21 May 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3408589)   #38
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some years ago an very original Lightweight came on the market and to the Revival (the cream one with some red stripes, #850660). It made Simon Hadfield ask the question: "Now if that is how an original Lightweight look, why don't they all look like that?" So if we will get 6 more "original Lightweight" they will be backmarkers in any current race, and if they are going to be treated, say in the way Adrian Newey has done, they are no original lightweights any more.

So why buy them or even bother?
Old 23 May 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3409464)   #39
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Being the anorak that I am I have read several books about the lightweights and I don't recall the extra chassis numbers being previously discussed. I guess if correct it's no different from the DB4GT Zagato's a few years back.
If you have read Philip Porter's definitive work on the subject, "Ultimate E-Type", you will find, on pages 149-150, reference to the fact that 18 numbers were allocated in a document issued by the factory's Roland Abbott. The 18 numbers were taken from the production run and prefixed by an 'S'.
Old 23 May 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3409479)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
According to one source, the cars will be built by CPP (Coventry Prototype Panels), who are now part of the Envisage Group. They are supposedly also building the 'new' Jensen Interceptor and are behind the Aston lookalike 'Speedback GT'. Although in Binley, Coventry, CPP were rumoured a while back to be creating a new facility in Browns Lane. No idea if that happened. Apparantly JLR are already a client.

Old 23 May 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3409532)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cox View Post
If you have read Philip Porter's definitive work on the subject, "Ultimate E-Type", you will find, on pages 149-150, reference to the fact that 18 numbers were allocated in a document issued by the factory's Roland Abbott. The 18 numbers were taken from the production run and prefixed by an 'S'.
Surely Philip Porter's definitive work on the E-Type is Jaguar E-Type a the Definitive History.
On p298 of this book he states
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Porter, Jaguar E-Type a the Definitive History, p298
Initially it was intended to build 18 cars and that they would be given special numbers. This decision was rescinded and, possibly for homologation purposes, the special cars were given ordinary production chassis numbers from the period.
Old 23 May 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3409564)   #42
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I'm guessing it's a two-word reason:

Cash grab.
Old 23 May 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3409565)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and publicity.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3410201)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
On a miniscule scale I have had a similar experience with my Penske IROC camaro. To celebrate 25 years of the series Penske recreated an extra car that had never raced and was then sold to appear on a website later valued at $100000 and claiming to have the chassis number of my car! Needless to say I put them right and the changed it several times before settling on number 8. The car is now in a museum claiming to have been raced by Andretti and others what a joke!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3421832)   #45
XJ13
Rookie

XJ13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
I live in hope ....

At present I fall foul of FIA's Appendix K for a HTP because the original never competed in period - but our American cousins take a much more enlightened view and there is a good chance I would be allowed to race there. Would prefer to see it on track in the UK though ...

Neville
www.xj13.eu

Last edited by XJ13; 15 Jun 2014 at 10:47.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3422659)   #46
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Surely Philip Porter's definitive work on the E-Type is Jaguar E-Type a the Definitive History.
As 'The Ultimate E Type' is purely about the lightweights, and extends to more than 500 pages on the model, I feel it probably is the definitive book on the subject.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 23:25 (Ref:3423270)   #47
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With so many facsimile's GT40's, Cobras, Élan 26r's as well as E Types racing it does seem we can no longer ignore them and must assume they are here to stay.

You are forgetting the recent Knobbly Listers too!
Old 18 Jun 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3423508)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, the question over who will build the cars appears to have been answered. According to Autocar, Jaguar Land Rover are creating an 'SVO' Division, to be based at a new independent premises in the West Midlands. As well as doing work on new cars for presumably well-healed customers, it will carry out 'heritage' servicing and restoration, recreate some unavailable parts and build the six lightweights.

A slight contradiction then suggests that the 'Heritage' arm will be based in a workshop at Browns Lane still owned by the company, and apparently a team of Classic car experts are already employed with access to heritage tools and original workshop documentation.....

Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3423539)   #49
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
well-healed customers
I'm ever so sorry; I hadn't realised that they had ever been injured or unwell in the first place.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3423551)   #50
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Could the new factory be somewhere near Bridgenorth?