Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jun 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3543942)   #1
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to line up tail housing and diff nose?

Assuming that it's best to have equal angles in the universal joints on either end of the drive shaft (to avoid vibrations), how does one measure this? In my none too technical view it means that the tail housing and the diff nose should be lined up parallel, but how can you tell? I hope there's a simple trick to it, as I can't think of anything.

Of course, this question applies to any front engined rear driven car, but as the car in question is a Lotus Cortina, I suspect some folks here have solved this puzzle before. Thank you in advance for any morsel of information.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3543948)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Leo, see thread on P3 of this forum titled 'Driveline Alignment live-axle RWD cars'. I would post a link but awkward on this device!

Mike
Old 1 Jun 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3543953)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes we had a discussion on this a while back, this video will explain all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...line+alignment
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jun 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3543975)   #4
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, that's more than a morsel.
I'll just have to find an angle finder now, or a smartphone like Mike's, of course.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 06:18 (Ref:3544098)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes we had a discussion on this a while back.
Thanks Gordon. Leo, it is worth taking time to get it right. Using phone no different to a small spirit level (but a lot more fragile!).

Old 5 Jun 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3545316)   #6
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a search for a rabone angle setter..Usually on e-bay and quite cheap.

N.