Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 7 Nov 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1454374)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
de Portago, Alfonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMcd
The interesting thing about the de Portago thread is that there are so many myths and I am trying to look at the myths, without debunking the legend. If you read everything ever written about him in chronological order, you will see the art of embellishment clearly displayed. He didn't do many of the things attributed to him, nevertheless has a charisma...probably as a result of 'ending' the Mille Miglia, and in a sense ending an era. He fitted nicely into the fantasy '50s!

I am hunting for photos and anecdotes...I would really like to hear the stories people know.

Ed McDonough
Known as the 'Fon', Spanish, he was born in 1928 and was an incredibly talented all round sportsman. He died in a racing accident (tyre burst at 175mph?), whilst lying 4th in the 1957 Mille Miglia, which also saw the death of his co-driver and 10 spectators. The accident was the final straw in a mounting list of incidents which brought about the demise of the Mille Miglia in its original form.

O.K, Ed, thread started - let's see where we go with this. First hand accounts maybe hard to come by given that he died nearly 50 years ago, but you never know!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1454382)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a CD published about 'Fon' and includes a lengthy interview with him talking about his racing and comments from other drivers including Peter Collins.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1454415)   #3
edmcd
Rookie

edmcd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfonso de Portago

Thanks guys. Yes , there are some good interviews.

The Mille Miglia...it's not important but there are at least 6 estimates of the speed that I have seen, from 100 mph to 180. Burst tyre is likely but never confirmed. Spectator deaths range from 9 to 14. These are minor but only the tip of a mythical iceberg!

Ed McDonough
Old 8 Nov 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1454970)   #4
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this would make a very interesting book !!!!!!!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1454978)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcd
I am working on a De Portago book at the moment...that might get some comments going. Had a great day recently with Robert Daley who wrot e the Cruel Sport, Cars At Speed, etc. He really discovered Portago in the sense that he was the first journalist to talk to him seriously. A good story, with many myths to be held up to the light of day.
Ted, funny you should say that! This was what Ed posted on another thread and which led to this one! So your wish will hopefully come true!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1454990)   #6
Ted Walker
Veteran

Thats good news. His shark nose book was quite good.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1455235)   #7
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a documentary about De Portago on French cable TV last year (or so), I think there was an interview of his daughter who lives in Spain. Maybe Edmcd should try to track her down.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1455308)   #8
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you remember the tv series the power and the glory from a few years ago? one episode was on the mille miglia and im sure the picture of his wrecked car was shown with someone talking about a pinched tyre causing the accident. iv got it somewhere at home..i think.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1455766)   #9
edmcd
Rookie

Alfonso de Portago

Good to hear the stories starting to come. Haven't seen the French programme but remember the Mille Miglia one from Power and the Glory.

Fortunately I have a contact with the family which should be very interesting.

Ed McDonough
PS-Thanks, Ted!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1456825)   #10
Carlos Guerra
Rookie

Portugal
Cascais, Portugal
Carlos Guerra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Ted Walker, hello Ed McDonough,

In the late 80's, longtime Ferrari historian and researcher Stanley Nowak started to compile a biography on Alfonso de Portago, under encouragement from Juan Quintano, the spanish Ferrari importer.
Unfortunately, Stan passed away in April 1991 and I have always wondered which may have been the subsequent faith of the material he has gathered.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1457002)   #11
Ted Walker
Veteran

Stan Nowak .Did he run the Vintage Car Store in New York ????
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1458896)   #12
Carlos Guerra
Rookie

Portugal
Cascais, Portugal
Carlos Guerra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ted,
Maybe he did, I don't know.
He last worked for Forza Motorsports in New York and Arizona.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1458916)   #13
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
First hand accounts maybe hard to come by given that he died nearly 50 years ago, but you never know!
Not necessarily. An old driver mentioned to me the other day that raced alongside 'Fon' in a US F5000 race in 1969.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1458928)   #14
edmcd
Rookie

Alfonso de Portago

I want the information on the driver who raced against Fon in 1969! Now this is rarity. "Dead Spanish marquiss in F5000 Race"...good headlines. Wonder which Fon it was!

I am off to USA on Wednesday with an appointment to see the widow of the late de Portago..looking forward to this with great anticipation.
Ed McDonough
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1458934)   #15
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't name the driver because it wouldn't be fair. And can anyone else who figures it out also not name him please. He had already pointed out to me that he hadn't even thought about his racing days for many years and he is now 71. What he said of Sebring in 1969 was "I also remember that race as Fon DePortigo raced in it and I got up as far as fourth in the final heat when I ran out of gas".

The memory does play horrible tricks on you as you get older. Two events that happened years apart can seem to have happened at the same time. It just shows the care you have to take when using anyone's recollections in your research.

Allen
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1458944)   #16
edmcd
Rookie

Alfonso de Portago

Allen:
Good point.

OK, it's mean to name him. When doing interviews, however, there are ways of telling the story without insulting the subject. On the other hand, there are people who just make it up! I know...I am...oops!

I did an interview with Nino Vaccarella, and one part ended"...and the car just broke." I looked at him, and he said: "Do you want me to make it more dramatic?"

The de Portago story will be interesting in this regard: one of my questions is: did he make up some of these stories about himself? The answer seems to be 'yes'..at least to an extent. Then there is the question as to whether it matters. A legend is a legend. On the other hand, reading everything written about him, there are cumulative embellishments...as some writers feel thay can 'make it more dramatic' as Nino would say, it improves the story, and nobody is the wiser.

More than one noted driver has said to me 'did I say that?'. The implication was that it might not have been altogether totally and unerringly accurate. That seems ok in the telling of the story. Drivers particularly will enlarge their exploits...part of the activity. For thoose who write, however, I think accuracy is more important, and there is something interesting and poignant in a driver who thinks he raced against someone who died 12 years earlier. For me that's ok. One particularly noted driver of old is very good at pointing out the serial liars in the business!

Ed McDonough
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1458954)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Ed

I think you have to let through a certain amount of the embellishment because it gives the reader a flavour of the person. Was he modest? Does he feel unappreciated? Brian Redman never seems to have embellished anything but with such an exciting career, he can afford to be modest. On the other hand, a certain 1960s world champion's (presumably ghosted) autobiography seems to expend much of its energy trying to prove that its subject was always right and the only time he hit problems was when his team didn't listen to him. I enjoyed it all the more for that.

Allen
Old 12 Nov 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1459067)   #18
edmcd
Rookie

Alfonso de Portago

Allen:
Listening to drivers talk about their teams is great. Then listen to teams talk about their drivers...that's better.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anyone who worked in the Ferrari team when Portago was there who is available to talk. However, Phil says he will and Cliff Allison did before he died. What Lotus says about Graham Hill privately is amazing.

Ed McDonough
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1459446)   #19
Ted Walker
Veteran

Thats what I told this guy called Elvis who lives down the road from me
Old 13 Nov 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1459476)   #20
edmcd
Rookie

Alfonso de Portago

Ted and Allen:

Of course, private recollections are great. There was a superb party where Elvis, de Portago, Lord Lucan, and John Stonehouse were looking at some of Ferret's photos of Saddam Hussein and Marilyn Monroe....!

Ed McDonough
Old 19 Sep 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2543971)   #21
ianric
Rookie

ianric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was a photographer, I am sure that the doorman of Claridges told me that this RR Phantom V that was often parked outside belonged to, I guess, his son who always stayed there.
That is all I can add. Maybe he is still staying there.