Old 8 Oct 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2771340)   #301
THE DRUID
Rookie

United Kingdom
reddish
THE DRUID should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Always pleased to welcome visitors . My first 24-hour race and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the weather. Good fun picking out certain cars to follow at different levels in the race and to see if they're still running when you get back after a break. Anyone know what happened to the Aquila? I assume it broke somehow but it was while I was catching some sleep.
the aquila went off at bridge with jammed throtle, never came back out, was on bridge when it cam in, very quick, driver needed new pants,
Old 8 Oct 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2771400)   #302
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It was also posted in this thread over on the 10/10s Sportscar & GT forum. Don't you know that the primary contact point for GT & Sportscar folks is... ach, never mind
Tch, Greem, don't you know that marshals never venture outside their own bit! You'll be suggesting they read other parts of the forum next.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2771479)   #303
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are other bits?
Old 8 Oct 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2771584)   #304
matlockscot
Rookie

matlockscot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks from a competitor....

I posted on that 'other' site previously, but for would just like to reiterate my thanks to all the marshals who gave up their time to dig us idiots out of the gravel. It was bad enough in the car (sports 2000) for half an hour in the rain, so how you guys & girls managed 24 hours I don't know. i was even lucky enough to scrounge a ciggy after I binned the car at Vale!
i take my hat off to you all....
Old 8 Oct 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2771594)   #305
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlockscot View Post
was even lucky enough to scrounge a ciggy after I binned the car at Vale!
Never say that we do not provide!
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2771626)   #306
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
[...] in the rain, so how you guys & girls managed 24 hours I don't know.
Well I got soaked on Friday... the rain wasn't going through the waterproofs... it was getting in around the edges, running down my pony tail and up my sleeves.

On Saturday I had a line of laundry drying on the fence behind me at Becketts.

Then, on Sunday, I got wet all over again... though not quite so bad.

But I loved it.

Somehow the rain didn't actually get all the way through to the skin so I didn't get cold... mind you, the number of layers I was wearing, NOTHING would have got through to the skin.

I can't put my finger on it but there is something about the whole meeting and I've been hooked since the first one.

PJ
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2771636)   #307
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Friday (on Copse) saw me get 3 pairs of gloves and 2 pairs of socks wet despite wearing enough waterproof gear to hold back the sea!

Abbey Pit Wall was hilariously muddy, every time one went across it you ended up a couple of inches taller! Thanks to Vale for sharing some gravel, even though it didn't cause any issues! (We had 1 spinner for the whole 24 hours and he drove off)
Old 8 Oct 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2771686)   #308
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's all this fuss about the rain..
Rain, Rain i say, that wasn't proper rain.
come to Wales where we specialize in rain, it was just a drizzle @ Silverstone.

thinks me is going to take the exit to the left
Old 9 Oct 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2771874)   #309
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My feet were squelching by the end of Friday!

Why did the rain ease off when we had the chance of sheltering in the lee of Merv's van under the bridge and then absolutely chuck it down when we had to do the dummy grids etc out in the open? My comments to the drivers/team members was "Ah, the glamorous world of motorsport" as I ran my hand through the rat-tails hair!

Thanks to everyone on Saturday who asked if I'd dried out. Our shoes spent Saturday under the bridge in the sun and breeze and were more or less dry for the 11.30pm first stint (as Bill was one of the chief flags, we operate on a shift system).

btw - no pies, but we made sure that PieLady had an outing..............

Last edited by Shelagh; 9 Oct 2010 at 09:31. Reason: to explain why we "only started" at 11.30pm
Old 9 Oct 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2771926)   #310
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a relatively quiet weekend at Chapel with a great team who kept me entertained for the duration. Only a monposto pulloff to deal with, & helping out with the MX5 pile-up at Becketts. Not a lot we could do to help out with the Marcos that aquaplaned backwards into the wall across the track on Hangar in atrocious conditions. Good to see the athleticism of the guys on Becketts who managed to deal with it after running a marathon to reach it.

I spent ages polishing my boots & getting them waterproof, only to leave them in my hall. My spare boots made it all the way to hour 21 before letting the water in. The waterproofs held out for the duration & I kept reasonably warm & dry throughout (apart from the feet).

Thanks to the spectators who kept us entertained during the 2 hour safety car period with the domestic. She had a voice that would have failed scrutineering & managed to keep it up a rant for at least an hour. Little did she know what she was in for when her man promised her a Saturday night out...
Old 9 Oct 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2771941)   #311
216gti
Rookie

Wales
S.Wales
216gti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, had a great weekend, don't know how you all managed with the rain, we had a garage to hide in and still got soaked. Whenever we're racing the kettle is always hot and mars bars are in the fridge so come and look us up.
Thank you
Chris, Car 89 (Welsh Integra)
Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2772001)   #312
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I posted on that 'other' site previously, but for would just like to reiterate my thanks to all the marshals who gave up their time to dig us idiots out of the gravel. It was bad enough in the car (sports 2000) for half an hour in the rain, so how you guys & girls managed 24 hours I don't know. i was even lucky enough to scrounge a ciggy after I binned the car at Vale!
The funny thing was, your colleague who was in the car in the 2nd race span & stalled at Vale aswell. We managed to push him out of the danger zone but the car wouldn't restart so we all ended up on the other side of the track. When he heard you had been off at the same post earlier, his eyes lit up. 'I hear you have fags!'. Delight turned to disappointment when we told him they were on the other side of the track, with the JCB driver!
Old 9 Oct 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2772122)   #313
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
Had a relatively quiet weekend at Chapel
Ah, you must have been the other half of the (in)famous Becketts / Chapel double act.

Thanks for fielding all my "car, number unknown" calls.

PJ
Old 9 Oct 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2772207)   #314
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJuliet View Post
Ah, you must have been the other half of the (in)famous Becketts / Chapel double act.

Thanks for fielding all my "car, number unknown" calls.

PJ
Not me personally, that would have been Graham
Old 11 Oct 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2773140)   #315
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
with . Not a lot we could do to help out with the Marcos that aquaplaned backwards into the wall across the track on Hangar in atrocious conditions. Good to see the athleticism of the guys on Becketts who managed to deal with it after running a marathon to reach it.

Thanks to the spectators who kept us entertained during the 2 hour safety car period with the domestic. She had a voice that would have failed scrutineering & managed to keep it up a rant for at least an hour. Little did she know what she was in for when her man promised her a Saturday night out...
for those who will no doubt make of fun of me again (hope dave brand is not reading this thread) that was a long way to go, bloody knackering.

and yup the speccys were funny, the security guys just stalking them around the circuit were brilliant, just looked quite dodgy watchin them two arguin and seeing them stalked by a van!
Old 18 Oct 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2776571)   #316
Fasteddymini
Rookie

Fasteddymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All
Apologies for leaving it so late but this is just to say a huge thanks to all those who braved the elements so we could go out and play in the Britcar 24 - I know its been said before but without you guys it wouldnt happen so thanks again
John M Car 81
3rd class 4
20th o/a