Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 24 Jul 2001, 08:37 (Ref:1793557)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Procter, Peter

I was browsing through a 1971 Autosport magazine, and came across a startling image in an advertisement.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name, Peter Procter was one of the stalwarts of British club and national racing and rallying in the early 1960s. Regularly in the results, he was admired for a no-nonsense, car preserving style. This ended in 1966, when he was grievously burned in a crash at Goodwood.

The 1971 advert is a full-page of Peter, the extensive plastic-surgery he endured very evident, and he is lending his name to an advertisement for fire-retardent race clothing. It is a shocking, and blunt piece of publicity.

Now, I had always thought that Peter left the racing scene after his accident, and I was surprised to find the copy in the magazine, some five years after the event. Can anyone enlighten me on what Peter Procter did after his enforced retirement? I'd like to think that a man so resilient could have found a new outlet for his spirit.

Any news, anyone?
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:09 (Ref:1793558)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet you thought everyone had forgotten this one Tim!!!

Did an MSN search with the correct spelling (Proctor) - it may be a remarkable co-incidence, but I came up with this link to the Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club:

http://www.sunbeamtiger.demon.co.uk/...IGERS2000e.htm

The site doesn't seem to work properly, but it's a start!!! Proctor was involved in the testing and development of the Tiger in the 60s, and I note Rosemary Smith is also among the photo subjects - she rallied them IIRC. So perhaps some of the guys on the Rallying Forum might be able to help??
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:24 (Ref:1793559)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn - missed the edit deadline again!! Main link to that page:

http://www.sunbeamtiger.demon.co.uk/nnf2.htm

It seems both Peter and Rosemary were at a big Tiger celebration last year ....
Old 9 Sep 2002, 08:30 (Ref:1793560)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! More than a year after starting this thread, I get to meet the man himself!

Peter Procter was not only at the Goodwood Revival meeting, but he even donned the crash-helmet and went racing in a Le Mans Sunbeam Tiger coupe. And what a lovely chap to talk to, as well. Seemed genuinely surprised and gratified that he was of interest to people who could not even have been born when he was racing.

Now, anyone who's been away from the circuits for 36 years is entitled to be a little rusty, but Peter was certainly not letting the weeds grow under the Tiger, and that car was really flying through Fordwater/St Marys. Brilliant stuff.

Something I forgot to ask him about, though - the jury's still out on the spelling of his name. The Goodwood programme had it rendered both ways!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:14 (Ref:1793561)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
There's a short feature on Peter in the November Classic & Sports Car, which also includes a picture of his Anglia on fire. And maybe I was wrong ... Simon Taylor spells it Procter.

Bob Marley
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:33 (Ref:1793562)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had the pleasure of meeting Peter about 10 years ago at Silverstone. I had done a painting for Jack Sears and delivered it to him at a VSCC event. Jack invited me for lunch in the BRDC clubhouse and I was introduced to many of my childhood heroes, Peter among them. A charming chap.
Those I remember meeting that day include John Rhodes, Peter Gaydon, John Watson, Jeff Uren and Whizzo Williams.
Peter has been a regular spectator at Silverstone over the years by all accounts due to his BRDC membership.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 14:49 (Ref:1814892)   #7
Haine Kane
Rookie

France
near Rouen (normandie) FRANCE
Haine Kane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,
I've got Peter Roderick PROCTER born 16 january 1930 ...
...but where ?
If someone have this info ?
Thanks
Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1935945)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haine Kane
Hello,
I've got Peter Roderick PROCTER born 16 january 1930 ...
...but where ?
If someone have this info ?
Thanks
I think he has an Isle of Man connection - perhaps he lives/lived there.

Also, I believe his fire damaged Anglia was rebuilt years later and is still racing today.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2273818)   #9
gerald duniec
Rookie

gerald duniec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Procter

I hope the following information is useful.
I went to Fulneck Boy's School in Pudsey West Yorkshire with Peter's sons.
I remember meeting Peter & was introduced to him my his sons. i was at Fulneck between 1967 & 1974.

I recall thinking at the time what a fascinating person he was. He was very charming & a gentleman. Not something you'd think about as a 10/11 year old!
I can remember another friend of mine telling me a little about his horrific accident. I may be wrong but at one point he had the World record for the % burns & still living. I do know more but I really don't think it appropriate to give this information here.

I don't know where Peter was born but I have reason to believe he is a Yorkshireman. The family used to live in a beautiful North Yorkshire village called Appletreewick. Peter may still live there.

His sons run a successful residential house building company in North Yorkshire & I think Peter started the company but I'm not certain.

I never kept in contact with his sons after leaving Fulneck but I did exchange emails with them last year.
i hope this helps.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2290875)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I left school I worked for Alan Fraser in Hildenborough and Peter sometimes drove a Rapier for Alan's comps dept. I remember watching the Brands 6hr event in 1962 when he came 4th overall with Peter Harper, although that was I believe a works entry on that occasion.
I also remember a lot of DNF's through wheels either falling off or coming to pieces in that race !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Sep 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2295901)   #11
Monstersuzuki
Rookie

Wales
Aberhonddu
Monstersuzuki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon, The works entry would be for Sunbeam Rootes at that time driving the Harrington Kamm Tailed Alpines at the time?. He did very well at Le-Mans that year, wonderful chap
Old 1 Oct 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2301791)   #12
derkstu
Rookie

derkstu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, have just seen your message threads re Peter Procter, who I am very proud to say is my Dad.

Well he is alive and well and busier than ever, being involved with Silverstone/BRDC/STOC and other various organisations, including cycling due to his earlier career cycling for Britain. He has, only yesterday, finished writing the draft of his autobiography, but we are not sure whether he is going to publish it or just keep as a personal account.

I shall keep you posted as to whether he publishes the book.

Regards, and thanks for your kind words about him, Stuart Procter.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2305100)   #13
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
I was browsing through a 1971 Autosport magazine, and came across a startling image in an advertisement.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name, Peter Procter was one of the stalwarts of British club and national racing and rallying in the early 1960s. Regularly in the results, he was admired for a no-nonsense, car preserving style. This ended in 1966, when he was grievously burned in a crash at Goodwood.

The 1971 advert is a full-page of Peter, the extensive plastic-surgery he endured very evident, and he is lending his name to an advertisement for fire-retardent race clothing. It is a shocking, and blunt piece of publicity.

Now, I had always thought that Peter left the racing scene after his accident, and I was surprised to find the copy in the magazine, some five years after the event. Can anyone enlighten me on what Peter Procter did after his enforced retirement? I'd like to think that a man so resilient could have found a new outlet for his spirit.

Any news, anyone?
The advert you mention is from the "Wool Secateriat". It first appeared mid summer 1970 and stated that PP had just finished his hospital treatment. At that time, if your percentage burns added to your age came to anywhere near 100, you were not expected to survive. PP must have been the exception to this rule.

The product was being advertised was a treated wool which did the same job as Nomex, although I never remember anyone advertising overalls made from the material.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2311201)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stuart, a belated welcome. It would be good if your Dad could be persuaded to publish is autobiog.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2315358)   #15
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Hear Hear" John. As an ex-Anglia man, I never met Peter, BUT, I did see him at Silverstone once and I immediately pointed him out as a mentor of mine. I started racing in 1963, and over the esuing years watched both Peter and Laurie (Hickman) who gave me the idea to switch from mini to anglia. Wonderful man and so pleased he is still going strong.
Gerry.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2333241)   #16
odl21
Rookie

odl21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had the pleasure of meeting peter at the latest sunbeam tiger owners club dinner. we share two common passions - tigers and cycling. he's a lovely chap and i even got his autograph.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3084718)   #17
PJR
Rookie

PJR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Stuart,
My name is Peter Robinson and am author of a book called Memory Laners ...revisited, a history of the Motoring News Championship. I am in the process of writing two more books on the same subject and have a picture of your father's car on an event, a picture given to me by the late Mike Kempley. I would love to be in touch with him to ask a question about the picture and any other info on his days in this MN championship.

Perhaps you can ask him if he would be kind enough to email me on memorylanes@live.com?

Thank you

Peter Robinson