Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3542283)   #106
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another downtown street that is closed to traffic and hosts a special celebration is Peel St., which is several blocks east of Crescent St. Here are links to sites about the event and some of my photos from past F1 weekends on Peel St.

Formula Peel 2015

Formula Peel 2015 announcement

Old 29 May 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3542330)   #107
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some events associated with the Grand Prix weekend in Montreal are a bit more exclusive than the public festivals held on Crescent St. and Peel St. Admission either costs a lot or is by invitation only. But it is free to hang around outside the events and play amateur paparazzo.

The Grand Evening 2015 $1000/person

Infiniti Grand Prix Party at the Ritz Carlton $395/person

Ferrari party at the Hotel St. James (invitation only)

Old 29 May 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3542554)   #108
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
From Formula1.com Canada preview quotes.

Daniel Ricciardo

“The city is awesome. Great places to eat and drink - plus the fact Crescent Street is closed off for a big party is very, very cool. The whole city gets involved in the race and you get the impression that the grand prix is really embraced.”

Romain Grosjean

“As for Montreal itself, it’s a wonderful city to visit. There are obviously a lot of French speakers so it’s like another home race for me, and the fans are so welcoming and knowledgeable. There are also some very good restaurants in Montreal which is always a bonus."

Pastor Maldonado

“Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is amazing and I always enjoy being there. Canada is a great race not only because of the track but because of the people who come to support it. There is a great atmosphere all weekend and the city is quite close to the circuit which means there is a great vibe all round. There is also a lot of history to the Grand Prix and it has been around for a while - it is one of the great GPs during the season."

Federico Gastaldi, Deputy team principal Lotus

“There are a few races which are classics on the calendar, and Montreal is certainly on that list. The Canadian Grand Prix is a part of Formula One’s DNA. Canadians and Montreal have been a real part of the history of Formula One. The city really comes alive for the race weekend, it is a fantastic place to go.”

“I named my first house Gilles’ Blue Ranch which should give you an idea of my enthusiasm for Gilles Villeneuve, who the circuit is named after. He was such a passionate, talented driver, racing in an era very different from today. The whole city has a very special place in my heart, from the architecture, the people, the bars, restaurants and cafes. It’s certainly one place where I wish the race weekend was a lot longer.”

Last edited by BobHWS; 29 May 2015 at 15:05.
Old 31 May 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3543122)   #109
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The most famous party associated with the Montreal Grand Prix is no longer held. It was the post race party hosted by Cirque du Soleil found Guy Laliberté at his large estate outside the city. It used to start Sunday night and go until dawn and then some. The annual party was described in a sensationalist biography of Laliberté in 2009. Here is a link an excerpt from the Canadian weekly Maclean's:

Exclusive excerpt: How to party like a cirque star

Laliberté’s annual Grand Prix party in Montreal every June attracted A-listers from all over the world. The Sunday night after the big Formula One race, Laliberté would host a bash at his sprawling mansion in Saint-Bruno that would usually end up lasting a few days. It became the highlight of the year for the world’s jet set crowd. Years later, Laliberté had to move the party to an airport base because of recurring complaints by neighbours about the incredible noise level and wild partying. Everyone who attended was awed.

“I have attended the finest parties all over the world, but nothing that compares to this,” says Myra Jones, a Milan-based fashion model who experienced several of Laliberté’s parties. “Everything you wanted was available at Guy’s parties—drugs, the best music spun by famous DJs flown in from Europe and the U.S.A., and the wildest sex you could ever imagine.”

Unfortunately I was never invited.

However Formula 1 fan George Harrison was invited to the party when he came to the race in 2000 and it was at Laliberté's party that Harrison and Laliberté hatched the idea for the Cirque du Soleil show based on the music of the Beatles, "Love." I have seen it twice in Las Vegas and I highly recommend it.

A ‘Love’ letter to the Fab Four
variety.com
5/28/2006

“Love,” Cirque’s fifth show in Las Vegas, began with a conversation between Beatle George Harrison and Cirque’s founder-CEO Guy Laliberte at a party during the Montreal Grand Prix in 2000. Harrison wanted to do two shows — one of Beatles music and one of his own — with both conveying messages of hope and love and music as a universal language. Laliberte carried on with the idea after Harrison’s death in December 2001; the creation of the show has occurred within the last three years.

And while there are only four Harrison songs sung in the show, Martin notes “that without George’s ideas, especially the ones he brought back from India, this music wouldn’t be as interesting as it is.”

The creative team behind “Love” unveiled portions of the show May 24 at the former Siegfried & Roy Theater, which was gutted and given a $125 million makeover. Part of that includes the installation of 6,305 speakers, nearly a third of which are installed in the back of the hall’s 2,000 seats to allow sound to swirl around the auditorium. For the most part, songs rain down from the speakers installed in the ceiling...

Old 15 Jun 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3550846)   #110
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
It wasn't much of a race (at least not at the front of the pack) and there was much talk in the Montreal media about the many problems of F1, but there's still at least one thing right with the sport, and that's the fan experience at the Grand Prix du Canada in Montreal. As usual, I brought back some photos. Here are the Montreal F1 babes of 2015 and some photos from the race and around town.

Montreal F1 Babes of 2015

F1 Grand Prix du Canada 2015

Old 29 May 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3906788)   #111
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Now that Monaco is over, it's time to look forward to the F1 GP weekend in Montreal. Here's a rundown of the key social events around town during the race weekend. Some events are free and others require a small fee.

Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival Thursday-Saturday Free

Formula Peel (Peel St. GP Festival) Thursday-Sunday Free

Official Opening Night Gala Thursday, Four Seasons Hotel 18:00 $1000 CDN

Ritz Carlton Hotel Grand Prix Party Friday 19:00 $350-1000 CDN

Little Italy Grand Prix Festival Thursday-Sunday Free

Grand Prix du Canada at L’Auberge Saint-Gabriel Thursday-Sunday nights @ restaurant/club owned by Guy Laliberté $145-175 CDN

Old 29 May 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3906792)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Well Monaco was fun to watch, but I am looking forward to the Canadian GP. Plenty for the fans. Montreal has always been fan friendly. Gee, they won’t get bored with that timetable. I just hope they don’t think it’s overkill
Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3907705)   #113
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Montréal weather for Thursday through Sunday looks great. Very little chance of rain, high temps of 22 C and partly sunny/cloudy skies. Though cool temps and some rain will greet the teams as they arrive and get set up today through Wednesday.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3907711)   #114
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tT2AHmgmV.html

Why we love... the Canadian Grand Prix

Formula1.com
Special contributor
Chris Medland
June 3, 2019
5. The city rocks

The fans flood to Montreal because not only is the event at the track so spectacular, but the city itself is an awesome place to be.

Downtown in Canada’s second-largest city is just across the Saint Lawrence River in which the Ile Notre-Dame sits, and it’s an eclectic venue.

While the old town offers up cobbled streets, cosy bars and cafes, classy restaurants and stunning architecture such as the Notre-Dame Basilica, there’s also the business district, a lively nightlife scene and the imposing Mont Royal itself that overlooks the city.

Montreal comes alive with F1-specific events during race week, and at different locations fans can take in live music as well as activities like a pit stop challenge, as the city really embraces the Grand Prix...
Old 3 Jun 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3907734)   #115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Do you remember a few seasons ago they bought back the mechanics boat race? That was a great lot of fun
Old 3 Jun 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3907797)   #116
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Do you remember a few seasons ago they bought back the mechanics boat race? That was a great lot of fun
I remember reading about that though never saw it. There is no shortage of water around the track in which you could hold such an event. It was probably held in the Olympic rowing basin which borders the back side of the track (side opposite of the paddocks).
Old 4 Jun 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3907834)   #117
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just came back from Montreal at the weekend. Things are really ramping up for the event and access to the circuit from downtown is very easy.

I would imagine they used the old Olympic basin for the mechanics race as the river flows far too quickly!!......very cold too after experiencing the rapids in a jet boat.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3907876)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

Both times I went to Canada I had my Uncle drive us round the track. Last time in 08 it was a month after the GP and they were still repairing the track after those problems at the GP. It was also interesting to see a lot of tyre marks were still there. Sadly the pit lane was off limits, so I couldn’t see Hamilton’s tyre marks were he went inti the back of Kimi...