Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2443943)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why has the pitlane speed limit been raised this year?

I can see this ending in a nasty accident one day.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2443946)   #2
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can see this ending in a nasty accident one day.
I didn't know it had !
What's the new limit ?
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2443949)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,we've had a lot of near misses just lately and now they decide to speed things up.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2443958)   #4
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman View Post
I didn't know it had !
What's the new limit ?
100 km/h, but only for the race.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2443959)   #5
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman View Post
I didn't know it had !
What's the new limit ?
100kph now, or "too fast"
Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2443983)   #6
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
100 km/h, but only for the race.
mmm could be an error in translation ...
60 KPH last year ....60 MPH this year ...

Old 18 Apr 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2443989)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The regulation as of now (2009 season).

"A speed limit of 60km/h will be imposed in the pit lane during all free practice sessions, this will be raised to 100km/h for the remainder of the Event. However, this limit may be amended by the Permanent Bureau of the Formula One Commission following a recommendation from the FIA F1 safety delegate."

replace 100km/h with 80km/h for 2008 season regulation.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2444152)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They should just get rid of the speed limits all together, its just unnessesary red tape.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2444160)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They should just get rid of the speed limits all together, its just unnessesary red tape.
I take it that your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
100kph now, or "too fast"
You have to feel for the front-jack mechanic, standing facing a car which is coming towards him at the speed limit for a public dual-carriageway. That's a remarkable level of trust!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2444208)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How did they ever get on in the past when there was no limit.

FWIW I agree with having a limit but don't see this speed increase shifting anything much. If you didn't know about it you'd have been hard pressed to notice.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2444211)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
At least it's not like the V8 Supercars, 40km/h limit.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2444212)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would answer this thread title with "because they can"...
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2444558)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pit lane speed limit was probably raised to get more pit stops.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2444567)   #14
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The pit lane speed limit was probably raised to get more pit stops.
Yeah I think that's exactly it. Shorten the time penalty for making a stop to increase chance of more varying strategies. In recent years with the more type of durable tyres they had, the agressive 3-stopper was becoming less commonplace. So I like it.

If today's race had been dry it would have been a battle between 3 stopping Red Bulls and 2 stopping Brawns.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2444641)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
I still can't see the excitement having a race being decided by pit stop strategies. Wouldn't it be much more exciting to see the drivers to race each other instead?
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2444646)   #16
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
"A speed limit of 60km/h will be imposed in the pit lane during all free practice sessions, this will be raised to 100km/h for the remainder of the Event. However, this limit may be amended by the Permanent Bureau of the Formula One Commission following a recommendation from the FIA F1 safety delegate."
I presume that the pit lane speed limit in Monaco won't be increasing? Surely it's far too narrow to drive through at 100km/h?
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2444647)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I still can't see the excitement having a race being decided by pit stop strategies. Wouldn't it be much more exciting to see the drivers to race each other instead?
You'll have to wait until next year,but even then they will have to stop for tyres unless Bridgestone can come up with something interesting.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2444754)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
don't see this speed increase shifting anything much.
It's like that anti-speeding TV advert, however it goes: "If you hit me at 30mph, there's a 20% chance I'll live. If you hit me at 40..".
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2444804)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Prior to this year, was the limit in the Monaco pits lower than elsewhere?

In which case I would envisage a proportional raise.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2444839)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You'll have to wait until next year,but even then they will have to stop for tyres unless Bridgestone can come up with something interesting.
I don't think Bridgestone will change their tyres much. Some key people seem to like the mandatory compound change.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2444939)   #21
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco has had lower limit, as well as some other tighter pit lanes. I think Monaco will have 80 km/h this year. Old Spa pitlane (until 2005) had lower one too.