Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3892122)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I'll like to add " ça m'en bush un coin!"
Old 20 Mar 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3892333)   #77
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more Simcas for you Gerard. Wagon was on the 50th anniversary re-run of the 1953 Redex Trial, the Chambord was at Winton in 2017 also.
Attached Thumbnails
Simca Chambord.jpg   Simca Aronde wagon.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3892373)   #78
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wahoo john nice gift thanks a lot looks wonderful. I'm not able to make the difference between the variants built on the same base like Beaulieu, Chambord or Versailles. I see a 203 too. Seems the Chambord spike wheels are real ones not fake as it could be here with accessories like Robergel???
Did you have the Aronde P60 in two doors version with no B pillar? Could be called Grand Large or Monaco.
How are considered Simca owners in your area?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3892374)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The wagon is cool. I need a classic wagon / break / estate in my life!
Old 21 Mar 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3892418)   #80
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dont expect any towing ability from a 1300 cc Aronde in 3 or 5 main bearings form. The Marly break is better with its V8 but three speed gearbox only. The most desirable of the Simca Vedette range could be the Présidence (with continental kit). Dont believe those who will tell you they were black color only, the very last batch was white. Treat yourself like a king!
Old 21 Mar 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3892553)   #81
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Perhaps originally the car pictured was from the near decade or so of Australian local Aronde manufacture?
1956-9 was CKD kits, albeit with plenty of local components, and 59-64 was full local manufacture in Adelaide at the Chrysler factory.
(Gérard, I think a while ago I sent you pics of the unique to Australia locally made P60 Aronde 5 door Station Wagon?)
Unique is such an overused word these days...
Attached Thumbnails
Capture 122 Simca.JPG   Capture 119 Simca.JPG  
Old 21 Mar 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3892561)   #82
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are welcome Gerard. I don't know much about the different Vedette-descendants, but I'd be sure that one has aftermarket wheels or adapted from something else - a friend of mine has done that, he put Sunbeam Alpine hubs and knock-on wires on a Hillman. I haven't seen a 2-door Simca that I can recall; even from the mid-50s 2-door cars were less popular here. How Simcas are regarded probably depends on the observer, either 'rare but interesting' much in the same way as any defunct old brand or 'some weird old car' if they are a classic car heathen.

On another note, here is a gallery of shots from the weekend:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/11...and-classic-3/
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3892600)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we all enjoyed the photos. Difference in cars doesn’t matter so much in historics, although cars will always have their own strengths and weaknesses
Old 22 Mar 2019, 05:38 (Ref:3892640)   #84
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Unique is such an overused word these days...
I only see 3 doors on those cars pictured. The 5 door, made in Australia at the Chrysler plant, was as I said, based on the P60 sedan, featured an extended roof-line and a tail-gate fitted with a wind-down window, and was unique to Australia.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3892641)   #85
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
The most desirable of the Simca Vedette range could be the Présidence (with continental kit). Dont believe those who will tell you they were black color only, the very last batch was white. Treat yourself like a king!
Never seen a (presumably very rare) white one, only black..... with the venetian blind in the rear window! Quite an imposing car with the rear fins.

I have seen pictures I am sure of a Présidence Cabrio? Maybe an after market conversion?

Last edited by E.B; 22 Mar 2019 at 05:52.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3892651)   #86
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for the pics and infos really enjoyable. GTB's pic shows how much Simca tried to play mix and match with parts. It must be a P60 Ranch I guess but its a P60 -then new model- front the front to the back of the from doors. All the rest is from the Aronde, including rear lights.
Présidence cabrio or découvrante we had at least one showing 4 PR 75 on its plate. One off for de Gaulle! Général de Gaulle.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3892653)   #87
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I know a bit about distances in Australia which is more a continent than an island. That said, did you ever meet each other you three?

John please, what are the two blue coupés? Is there some Iso Rivalta inspiration at least for the front wings? Great quality pics, congrats!
The Beetle / Porsche dealer is just a-ma-zing!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3892657)   #88
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Présidence cabrio or découvrante we had at least one showing 4 PR 75 on its plate. One off for de Gaulle! Général de Gaulle.
I have already emailed you pics and details of that very car at auction before I saw your post!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3892662)   #89
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Simca Présidence is the french equivalent to Lincoln Continental… well roughly. Wanna look how our politicians go? De Gaulle, grand homme et tall guy, had to use a convertible. Several decades later, Nicolas S could stand on his Vel Satis rear seat and keep his brushing clean!
OK may be this one is "slightly' OT.
So did GTB, John Lemm and E.B ever met or will meet?
Old 22 Mar 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3892671)   #90
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
So did GTB, John Lemm and E.B ever met or will meet?
Iain (Delta) introduced me to Johnh875 at PI recently. First time we have met. I also met up with David Towe (met him previously at Sandown and PI well) who runs a Group A M3 (very successfully), although he admitted he has not been as regular here at tenths of late as he used to be. I have not (knowingly) met GTB before.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3892677)   #91
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I see Sydney is really far away from Melbourne while Victoria seems close to. What about a great tenths meeting next year to welcome the FJ's? Dare?

Do you know what is the blue coupé on John's pics? Front wings Ã* la Rivolta, rear end Corvette style… With a bit of Marcos!

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Mar 2019 at 09:21.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3892699)   #92
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I see Sydney is really far away from Melbourne while Victoria seems close to. What about a great tenths meeting next year to welcome the FJ's? Dare?
To help you understand Aus Geography, Victoria is a state of Australia, and Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria. Sydney is in New South Wales, and capital city of NSW. Adelaide is capital of South Australia, Brisbane is capital city of Queensland etc.etc.

Melbourne to Sydney is about 9 hours driving non stop. Melbourne to Adelaide a few klms less. Perth in Western Australia to Sydney is about 4000 klms! Melbourne to Darwin in the Northern Territory is about 3800 klms! To put Darwin and Perth into perspective, Paris is closer to Ankara in Turkey than that!

Many competitors at Phillip Island drove their trucks with cars from Perth to Melbourne for the weekend.

Last edited by E.B; 22 Mar 2019 at 11:53.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:53 (Ref:3892703)   #93
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Totally relevant to this discussion (something I never thought I would be able to say) is that the Race Director for Supercars, former Ferrari sportscar driver Tim Schenken started his competitive career at the wheel of his mother's Simca. And she wasn't aware the car had gone.....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3892707)   #94
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Totally relevant to this discussion
Il ne faut jamais dire "jamais"… Great story about T Schenken.
Merci pour la leçon de géographie, prof'!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3892710)   #95
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Do you know what is the blue coupé on John's pics? Front wings Ã* la Rivolta, rear end Corvette style… With a bit of Marcos!
This one?

That would be a Bolwell. Specifically a Bolwell Nagari. Bolwell was a low volume Aussie Sports Car producer from the early sixties to c1980. A bit like the Marcos in UK. Lightweight, low cost option to build it yourself cars. Many were used by their owners in racing. The Nagari I beieve came with a Ford V8 power 302cu in unit as standard.. 351 an option!

There was a large number of Bolwells at PI to celebrate I guess an anniversary. They had a demo run each day on the track.

I think the name was relaunched recently, but not the same company.

More on Bolwell here: http://www.bolwell.com/our-heritage/

Also here: https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...nagari-105539/

Last edited by E.B; 22 Mar 2019 at 12:20.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3892713)   #96
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nice! And not a Simca......
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3892715)   #97
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This one?

That would be a Bolwell. Specifically a Bolwell Nagari. Bolwell was a low volume Aussie Sports Car producer from the early sixties to c1980. A bit like the Marcos in UK. Lightweight, low cost option to build it yourself cars. Many were used by their owners in racing. The Nagari I beieve came with a Ford V8 power 302cu in unit as standard.. 351 an option!

There was a large number of Bolwells at PI to celebrate I guess an anniversary. They had a demo run each day on the track.

I think the name was relaunched recently, but not the same company.

More on Bolwell here: http://www.bolwell.com/our-heritage/

Also here: https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...nagari-105539/
An expat Aussie here in UK is close to putting a Bolwell on track in Historic Roadsports after a multi-year prep ... precisely which model I'm not yet sure. He previously a Milano. At PI a few years back I was surprised to see how many different Bolwell models there were in the Club area. I look forward to seeing the Bolwell in HRS!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3892716)   #98
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
A video on the Bolwell Nagari production and history

https://youtu.be/cVo6FJT5nus?t=6

(Hi James! How is the Triumph? Chris)
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3892725)   #99
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
A 'Shannons Club' video with more of a focus on the Nogari racing successes plus the open top car. Actually more informative than the previous vid I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTz3HfY2Luk&t=8s.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3892784)   #100
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike did you know about this Bolwell Nagari? I guess yes. The front end looks like a Marcos and even better imo, windows like a Miura.

Because Mike asks about Simcas… E.B my brain almost exploded during the three hours walk with my Yorkies. May be you're right the Présidence was never built in other color than black. BUT, there is a but here, wanting to get rid of the old stock may be they sent the last batch to the atelier de peinture to have them in white the target being some "democracies" in Africa… Terre de contrastes!