Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Mar 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3892789)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Gerard, if I did know about the Bolwell, I’d forgotten....... Hopefully will get a chance to see one for real at some point!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3892799)   #102
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What a relief Mike at least one car on earth you dont remember! Phew
Nice looking and good engine. If you like to compare with what could be found here, make a search with Marcadier or Fournier Marcadier and may be BBM, BSH or Jidé/ Scora… or Alpine and CG (Chappe et Gessalin)! Not always easy to be born French I tell you!
Mind you E.B knows about rarities…
Old 22 Mar 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3892830)   #103
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
To help you understand Aus Geography, Victoria is a state of Australia, and Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria. etc.etc.
and thankfully, there are several excellent escape routes from Melbourne! https://tentenths.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Old 22 Mar 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3892833)   #104
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What a relief Mike at least one car on earth you dont remember! Phew
Nice looking and good engine. If you like to compare with what could be found here, make a search with Marcadier or Fournier Marcadier and may be BBM, BSH or Jidé/ Scora… or Alpine and CG (Chappe et Gessalin)! Not always easy to be born French I tell you!
Mind you E.B knows about rarities…
I did have the advantage with Bolwell of driving past their factory in Mordialloc going to and coming home from work everyday.
Even though they had stopped production by then and moved on to other things I always saw a few cars outside their factory needing body repairs and remember stopping off on the way home a few times.
Elfin being another in Melbourne I can think of. Although they were more famous for producing race cars from small formula through to Big Banger sports cars and F5000, they also made low volume sports cars ike the T5 and MS8 Caterham type of thing plus another Sports car, the MS8 Streamliner. Now I think owned by the Walkinshaw empire. These are more modern versions of their earlier road cars.

http://www.elfin.com.au/elfin/2008/showroom/

Nota is another. They also make Caterham style cars with Honda S2000 running gear.

https://www.notasportscars.com/

Another rarity was the Giacattolo. Only around for a few years in the late eighties and based on a heavily modified Alfa Romeo Sprint running a mid mounted V8 engine. Only very few models of the Giocattolo were manufactured though I very briefly got a test run in one once through a friend of a friend. Sometimes see a couple at PI and other historic meetings, in fact drove most of the journey last year with one in convoy. Beautiful bit of kit!

https://youtu.be/cukvHoFs8Ao?t=116

https://youtu.be/IQztwPyiC6A?t=42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti5xfXyAhLs
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:04 (Ref:3892882)   #105
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Beautiful, beautiful… well interesting I'd say! Cant we see some inspiration linked to the BX 4TC (Lotus may be?). Anyway gelato and hot weather…

In the US they had a 750 cc class I guess explaining the presence of some DB's or at least originalities powered by a Panhard engine. Nothing like that in Aus?

GTB did you check your link? I like it but lets agree its a rather unusual route to a smiley!
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3892885)   #106
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Beautiful, beautiful… well interesting I'd say!
Hear the sweet V8 thumping behind your ears as you pull away, or even from outside turns them into an instant beauty!
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3892886)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Fascinating car, but very little info around about gearbox, suspension etc?

Very much in the same vein as the Clio V6, which I still lust after.....
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3892898)   #108
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I do remember who brilliantly designed the Clio V6 suspension but dont expect an acceptable balance at least from a first version… I guess you already have a R5 Turbo or Turbo 2 in your garage, Mike.

If its an Italian V8 may be its the same as 33 Stradale/ Montreal?
We've been discussing about protos hosted by the Arese museum but the Giacatollo looks better than the Sprint modified and hosting a mid engineered V6 displayed at Rétromobile years ago.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3892901)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, related to another thread it seems you are not allowed to drive a normal road LHD car in E.B's area… For instance if you're racing an Alpine you must have a caution label on the rear window. Is that correct prof'?
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3892902)   #110
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Fascinating car, but very little info around about gearbox, suspension etc?

Very much in the same vein as the Clio V6, which I still lust after.....
5 speed ZF Mike. Front Suspension was from the Sprint donor car, the monocoque frame, front suspension, steering and dashboard was also used.

Brembo disc brakes were taken from the GTA.

A lot of the fabrication was done by former McLaren engineer Barry Lock. Halstead, the owner behinf the project, wealthy from hitting big in the seventies with IT, and always playing with cars. He owned the Toy Shop in Sydney providing cars for the wealthy. He had originally employed Lock to build a ground effect Pantera for GT racing. That surfaced at PI a couple of years ago with Larry Perkins, Aussie touring car legend who did well in Europe, getting briefly to F1. Lock was retained for the Giogottalo project

Back to the Giogottallo, the mid-mounted engine necessitated redesigning the rear suspension. Lock produced a Lamborghini Countach-inspired double wishbone design with cast-alloy uprights and twin coil shock absorbers. Wide 285/40 rear and 195/50 front tyres shod 15 inch Simmons alloy wheels.

A bit more info Mike......
Quote:
Initial talks with Alfa’s local management sounded promising until it became clear there was a certain financial deal required in exchange for co-operation.

Things got nasty very quickly, with local Alfa dealers instructed not to supply Halstead with cars.

"So we just imported new Alfasud Sprints from New Zealand, sold off the bits we didn’t need and built from there."

The lack of engine availability saw Lock tasked to shoehorn a Walkinshaw tickled 5lt Holden V8 into the diminutive hatchback.

The engine, however, used a custom twin throttle body and plenum set up that was unique to the Giocattolo.

"It wasn’t the most cost-effective way of doing things," Halstead reflects, "What was meant to be an affordable V6 sports car quickly became an expensive V8 one."

The suspension, brakes and sub frame were unique to the car and the panels formed from Kevlar, an exotic lightweight material that was virtually unheard of in road cars at the time.

A 5-speed ZF transaxle was used to get power to the back wheels.

The result was a 300hp mid-engined sports car that, even with touches like leather and air con, tipped the scales at under 1100kg.
More info here: https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/f...attolo-group-b

Some other pics I found

Note the bottle of Bundaberg Rum in the toolbox. Standard fitment!

A pic of the Halstead De Tomaso at PI in 2013

Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3892905)   #111
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oops
Old 23 Mar 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3892906)   #112
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Great and wonderful answer E.B, thanks a lot! Cant believe about the Bundy bottle!!!! Mike you need one in your garage!
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3892943)   #113
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A pic of the Halstead De Tomaso at PI in 2013
A few I took the same year
Attached Thumbnails
PI1.jpg   PI2.jpg   PI3.jpg  

PI4.jpg  
Old 14 Apr 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3897482)   #114
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intrepid UK based Formula Fordsters Don Boyack , Mark de Rozarieux and Oliver White who having started their seasons in the Phillip Island Classic Formula Ford races continued their campaigns some ten thousand miles away at Donington Park . White who took three wins and two seconds in the Phillip Island races carried on the good work with a double in the Heritage Formula Ford Championship races , only missing out on victory in the Champion of Brands (!?) race by less than three tenths of a second to a rival driving a car nearly three decades newer than Whites Van Diemen RF89 .
Old 15 Apr 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3897655)   #115
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oliver is extraordinarily good but his car in the Champion of Brands was not - as suggested on the results - a Van Diemen RF89 but his modern Medina Van Diemen. He did use the 89 in the Heritage races and put those away with little drama!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3897662)   #116
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Intrepid UK based Formula Fordsters Don Boyack , Mark de Rozarieux and Oliver White who having started their seasons in the Phillip Island Classic Formula Ford races continued their campaigns some ten thousand miles away at Donington Park . White who took three wins and two seconds in the Phillip Island races carried on the good work with a double in the Heritage Formula Ford Championship races , only missing out on victory in the Champion of Brands (!?) race by less than three tenths of a second to a rival driving a car nearly three decades newer than Whites Van Diemen RF89 .
He had a great tussle with Richard Tarling in he first race until Richard went of. Fantastic watching them through the chicane
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3897722)   #117
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wondered if Oliver was in his RF89 or a more modern car although there were only a few tenths difference between his fastest laps in the Heritage and C.o.B. races .

Nice to hear Formula Ford is still providing a wonderful spectacle and on the evidence of last weekend's races the size of the fields are holding up as well . Lets hope this weekend's Formula Ford races at Snetterton and Castle Combe provide great racing and large grids .
Old 15 Apr 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3897743)   #118
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I wondered if Oliver was in his RF89 or a more modern car although there were only a few tenths difference between his fastest laps in the Heritage and C.o.B.
He was in the RF89.Was great to see the evolution of Formula Fords with the likes of the 89 racing with a '69 Merelyn MK11.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:50 (Ref:3897792)   #119
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great that these cars still have a good runaround. They are still in fine form
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:24 (Ref:3897817)   #120
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do love the occasional historic meeting. I can see why it is so popular
Old 26 Apr 2019, 04:13 (Ref:3899678)   #121
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been a while since I checked in here, and there have been some interesting discussions. The Giocattolo was a development of that mid-engined V6 Sprint you saw Gerard, initially Paul Halstead wanted to build that car but Alfa Romeo would not come to the party to supply engines, so he went for a Holden V8 instead.

The Nagari could have been called the Mk8 Bolwell, although there were only 5 models before it - they started with MkIV on the basis that people were less likely to buy a Mk1! At least one of the 4 Bolwell brothers worked at Lotus for a while in the 1960s. An example of each Bolwell model was on display at PI, and someone did say to me they are working on a new car too.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3899688)   #122
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for the info John! Bolwell to make a new model then? In case of lack of inspiration they could produce again the Nagari as was or with minor changes. Remember the Pantera story?