Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

Old 3 Jul 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4059552)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The final result is in - and the COAT is the McLaren MP4/4!

It was a close battle at the end, but the McLaren narrowly takes the win. I think, from people's comments, that the FW14 was seen as the ultimate technological development of the time, but the MP4/4 just carries that bit more 'spirit' and ethos of what a F1 car should/could be?

Ultimately - answering the question of who is the best driver, or what is the best car, means that we have to add some tangibility to the thought of 'je ne sais quoi' - something that is impossible to do.

I'm quite confident that if we ran a similar poll for the greatest track, lap and season of all time - then the following image would represent a contender for all of the titles.

So I put to you what (in the eyes of ten-tenths members) may be the greatest moment of F1 history:

Ayrton Senna, in the McLaren MP4/4, at Monaco, during the 1988 season, putting in the greatest lap of all time?

To me - this moment in F1 history is as good as it can ever be, and sadly I don't think we will ever get such a great F1 sporting moment again.

'FIA restrictions on boost-pressure from the 4-bar of last year to the 2.5 bar of this year seemed to change little, McLaren and Senna finding reserves of speed elsewhere.
Pole position this year for Senna was 1min 23.998sec. Senna’s team-mate was one-and-a-half seconds slower, while the rest were happy to be within four seconds of the flying Brazilian.
And Senna two years later spoke of discovering in that session an intensity in driving his McLaren as if on rails through the tunnel of barriers. In his own words it was “well beyond my conscious understanding;” rather like an out of body experience.
Monaco 1988. On that day, I said to myself, ‘That was the maximum for me; no room for anything more,'” Senna admitted. “I never really reached that feeling again.”
The feeling perturbed even Senna and he decided to park for the rest of the day. His pole, of course, was long since untouchable. In more than one sense.
“Senna’s team-mate,” who Jenks mentioned, and who finished up 1.4sec off the Brazilian, just so happened to be the great Alain Prost. And to offer a little more context, Prost was some 1.2sec up on the next guy, Gerhard Berger in a Ferrari.
The qualifying effort comes with poignancy though, as he couldn’t convert it to race victory. Having dominated on Sunday too, Senna put his car into the barrier with 12 laps left after an error which will be forever shrouded in mystery.'
Old 3 Jul 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4059623)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
greatest lap would be a cool one.
Old 3 Jul 2021, 20:28 (Ref:4059630)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monaco 1988 pole lap, then the car, the driver and the lap all in one!
Old 4 Jul 2021, 02:50 (Ref:4059645)   #54
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Monaco 1988 pole lap, then the car, the driver and the lap all in one!
Otherwise known as game, set, match!
Old 4 Jul 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4059675)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
greatest lap would be a cool one.
Much too easy.

Donington 1993 Lap 1.