Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 27 Mar 2002, 02:12 (Ref:244867)   #1
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops-so much for my theory on brakes & weight dist.

Awhile ago i wrote in this forum about weight distrubution in F1 cars.Because braking is about twice as powerfull as acceleratation i thought they were putting more weight(aero & mass) towards the front of the car to maximise the lap times.That & the fact that engines are heavily restricted & brakes aren't.Good theory,but I forgot that while braking, the forces are divided by 4 wheels-not just the front ones!That's why braking is twice as strong as accel.Strange nobody noticed my mistake...LOL
You can see why teams are doing there best to maximise braking efficiency though-a 1% improvement in braking is worth a 2% improvement in acceleration.Also passing opportunities are more likely under braking.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 07:15 (Ref:246457)   #2
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Oops-so much for my theory on brakes & weight dist.

The braking force is divided by 60% for the front and 40% for the rear wheels but the driver can also control/adjust the balance between front & rear braking force from the cockpit itself to control any probable unsteer.

When the driver hits the brakes, the whole car weight is shifted towards the front, and the rear will be lighter. The rear brakes would lock up if the braking force is even as there would be less force pushing the rear tyres onto the track.

As a result of late braking, quite a number of overtaking opportunities can be witnessed.