Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Mar 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3893543)   #51
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did you all make of the Turn 19 track limits thing. I found myself cringing slightly every time I saw them going off the road like that.

It's obviously a very challenging off camber corner, so I guess fine margins on the entry translate into quite widely different trajectories on the exit, but I'm not sure a free reign is the right approach?

Other than that I enjoyed the race and I'm very pleased that Indycar is not available in a convenient place in the UK. Colton Herta doesn't look or sound like your architypal young gun but his final stint to seal the victory was super impressive
Old 26 Mar 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3893571)   #52
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
What did you all make of the Turn 19 track limits thing. I found myself cringing slightly every time I saw them going off the road like that.

It's obviously a very challenging off camber corner, so I guess fine margins on the entry translate into quite widely different trajectories on the exit, but I'm not sure a free reign is the right approach?

Other than that I enjoyed the race and I'm very pleased that Indycar is not available in a convenient place in the UK. Colton Herta doesn't look or sound like your architypal young gun but his final stint to seal the victory was super impressive
I kinda liked the no track limit approach. Looked odd, but if they're gonna put pavement there....

Colton has sort of a dour demeanor, a lot like his dad. It's also interesting how happy all the other drivers seemed for him. Love that aspect of the indycar paddock.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 04:50 (Ref:3893599)   #53
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

First time somebody gets injured there, they are going to have massive problems for not using the circuit in it’s designed, or certified, state.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3893604)   #54
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Why? Everyone had time to choose a strategy. The leaders could have pitted to cover off those behind them that had. They chose not to. At least it throws a wrench in the standings once in a while.

And I rather like the interesting result it gave us. Nice story came out of it

I can't really disagree as to the COTA race. The leaders were well within the window and could have pitted before the yellow. I'm happy that the race was won by a new team. I just think that in general the closed pits net results that are artificial to the racing. Similar to what it would be like pulling 6 or 8 car numbers out of a hat at 3/4 distance and giving them a 30 second penalty.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 06:07 (Ref:3893609)   #55
mstets
Racer

Quote:

Just a matter of being too hard to police fairly I think. It did result in some sketchy maneuvers.

Why happy that there's no race in the UK - assuming that that is what you meant? Perhaps you meant to say "now"?

Herta is very much in the mold of his dad. Go back and look at how many Indy Lights races Brian won. I don't think he ever landed a ride in CART/Indycar equal to his talent.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3893742)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some interesting opinions from some of the drivers about track limits.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142342
Old 27 Mar 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3893746)   #57
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Just a matter of being too hard to police fairly I think. It did result in some sketchy maneuvers.
I think they should just move the kerb 20 ft back and let the corner open out naturally along that path. It was definitely a contributing factor in the clash that brought out the yellow. Two cars returning from different lines on the outside, all scampering to rejoin at the same place.

Quote:
Why happy that there's no race in the UK - assuming that that is what you meant? Perhaps you meant to say "now"?
Sorry, yes, I meant now! I am paying for F1 on Sky anyway, so for the first time ever I think, Indycar is part of the same TV package as F1 in the UK.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3893748)   #58
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
First FCY, as Rosenqvist loses it on cold tyres and runs into Hinchliffe.
To me it looked like Hinchliffe ran into Rosenqvist. But main issue was they were allowed to ran out of the track in my opinion.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3893754)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They were talking about this on an Autosport video. Seems they just let it go throughout the weekend, which is why so many cars were wide there
Old 27 Mar 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3893759)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think they should just move the kerb 20 ft back and let the corner open out naturally along that path.
Exactly. No need for that tight corner there.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3893760)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They were talking about this on an Autosport video. Seems they just let it go throughout the weekend, which is why so many cars were wide there
It wasn't about just letting it go. If you read the Autosport article I posted, #56, it says third paragraph down: "It was also believed that the wider approach to Turn 19 would help tyre wear at a track with high degradation, despite the bumpiness of the off-track line."
Old 27 Mar 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3893761)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
To me it looked like Hinchliffe ran into Rosenqvist. But main issue was they were allowed to ran out of the track in my opinion.
That's how I saw it at the time, hence my comment. I have yet to see the incident again.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 02:50 (Ref:3893829)   #63
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think hinchcliffe can be blamed at all. He was beyond the curbs, needing to re-enter the actual track himself. He can't or shouldn't have to let a car go through that is coming from even further beyond the "track", who is running out of pavement. From how far wide rosenqvist was, I think it was more on him to let up to get back to the track.

But I don't think it was either's fault, just a byproduct of the no track limit rules of the weekend. But I still like that they didn't enforce track limits.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3893836)   #64
mstets
Racer

Quote:
I think they should just move the kerb 20 ft back and let the corner open out naturally along that path. It was definitely a contributing factor in the clash that brought out the yellow. Two cars returning from different lines on the outside, all scampering to rejoin at the same place.

Sorry, yes, I meant now! I am paying for F1 on Sky anyway, so for the first time ever I think, Indycar is part of the same TV package as F1 in the UK.

The corner sort of reminds me of the first turn at Cleveland in the CART days, which was 5 or 6 cars wide, but a flat plane. Guys trying all sorts of lines especially at the start. Why not have similar corners on other road circuits? There was quite a bit of inside/outside passing/maneuvering going on at COTA. Wider pavement in the corners seems to me like a good thing.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3893839)   #65
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
WEC proved you can have very good races on this track without anyone pushing anyone else wide and with basic respect towards the actual track. I thought this was not a good solution.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 02:39 (Ref:3894207)   #66
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was just able to watch the race and, first of all, I'll eat crow about my comments regarding the crowd. Indycar was right to go there as that was an excellent crowd. Hopefully the "ballpark" experience at the track won't put off people in the future, but it's waaaaaay different than what we're used to, fellas.

I was sceptical of Herta when I first saw the result but he certainly appears to be the real deal, doesn't he? Congrats to him!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3894238)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A lot of people are commenting how without DRS there was better battling for position than there is in F1, where drivers wait for the DRS zone. It's how racing should be
Old 30 Mar 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3894293)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
On the contrary, I saw many overtakes in the backstraight, presumably when the overtaker was using the boost and the overtakee wasn't.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3895067)   #69
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I didn't get to see as much of the race as I wanted to, but great to see Herta win and O'Ward get a top 10. O'Ward lost a couple spots at the end or the result would have been better. I was interested to see how Indycar raced at Cota. I gotta say I didn't enjoy it a ton. I think it is just the track that is a turnoff for me. I had hoped seeing the series there would make it more enjoyable but the track is still dull to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I just went back a page to catchup after my previous post, and saw this. You predicted my complaints! I've never been in person, and doubt i ever will.
Just finished it last night. Still don't really like the track but IndyCars there was good fun, IMHO.

----

As expansive as that place is, it looked pretty well attended, echoing some previous thread comments.

And F track limits
Old 4 Apr 2019, 00:14 (Ref:3895177)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And F track limits
Robin Miller said it best when asked why they drove out there, simply because they paved it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk