Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jun 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3913258)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driving Standards.

I see that Marcus Pye has had a real go about driver standards, particularly following last week's event at Cadwell. Anyone care to comment/discuss?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3913273)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I see that Marcus Pye has had a real go about driver standards, particularly following last week's event at Cadwell. Anyone care to comment/discuss?
I read the article in Autosport, and have to agree with him in general, although not in a position to comment on any incidents at that meeting.

With regard to track limits, I watched quite a lot of Le Mans last weekend, and cars were often completely outside the kerbs! Didn’t notice any penalties, either.....
Old 21 Jun 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3913297)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't take A/S and the article isn't available on their web site, any chance of a scan or a precis?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jun 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3913340)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure if this is infringing anything, but courtesy of Autosport.....
Attached Thumbnails
EA5010B6-226B-4E2E-AC4A-6DBBBCA68A25.png  
Old 21 Jun 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3913346)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In 1999 the MSA as was, trained up a group of experienced people, gave them a badge calling them Driving Standards Observers - Race.

I was one of them and every year it still appears on my Licence with all the other titles.

Our sole job was to report incidents considered to be 'poor driving' and I believe that for a while the standards of driving did improve.

I used to do it reqularly in the early 00's including the support races @ the British GP. Eventually it died a death and I probably haven't done it once in the last 10 years.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3913352)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Interesting.

I didn't see any of the more controversial incidents at Cadwell other than one or two slower cars not always judging well how they got out of the way of those lapping them and now and again what seemed to be a complete lack of Blue flags at places and in situations where I would have expected they might be used.

But I don't drive and I'm not a marshal so there may be things that I missed.

One incident I did see was a car off on the inside at the Mountain, bits separated and hard into the barriers (driver OK) and a couple of laps before everyone was stopped and recovery could start. I think it was a dodgy place because just about every time I have been to Cadwell one or more incidents have occurred pretty much at that point.

I appreciate that it a relatively slow part of the circuit and the hill is steep so maintaining momentum is probably important but many driving through did not seem any slower than they had been on previous laps.

There were also a few situations where a car that was obviously having some difficulty continued on track and ended up having to pull off in a difficult position - then safety cars or red flag and frustrated competitors. Possibly also frustrated marshals.

On a flat circuit like Croft or Silverstone National one might be able to coax it back to the pits.

Cadwell is probably not a good place to try it though. Too many hills - notably into the Paddock - and no real pits to speak of even if one makes it back.

In Mr. Pye's FF example the failing car would have had nearly an entire lap to get through. At the point of difficulty there is a fair amount of space on the outside and a lot of safer area, as well as a marshal post, on the cut through to Mansfield. One would think that taking that option would have been better for all concerned although I suppose it might necessitate an immediate decision that could be difficult to make if the problem had the potential to be temporary.

If paying one's own bills I would have thought that discretion would be the better part of valour but perhaps it is the release from having to live life with complete discretion that make the weekend work for some.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3913428)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for publishing Mike, I won't tell them if you don't.

Yes very wise words. It seems to have been forgotten that yellow flags are there for a reason, they are to protect a fellow human being not just a "rule" to be followed.

Crashing under a yellow is to my mind stupid and crass and should be penalised heavily, but I see it happen far too often.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jun 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3913517)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Crashing under a yellow is to my mind stupid and crass and should be penalised heavily, but I see it happen far too often.
Wise words obviously together with spinning or crashing under SC. At last jump starts are more policed together with overtaking under YF, thanks to the people watching the live timing.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3913662)   #9
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I have a view which is common knowledge in respect of track limits (and driving standards)

In the UK, poor driving standards are promoted on a regular basis... ITV have the contract, my friend DA does the commentary.... its called the BTCC and quite frankly, that is offered as "top flight" racing. The driving standards within this highly promoted series is sometimes rather like watching Arena Essex near where I was born and it rubs off very much so at grass roots racing.. I will never forget being at Castle Combe regarding an incident with a waved yellow and being shouted out by some 17 year old who had just got his licence telling me "leave it out love, you know you only lift on a waved yellow... plato does it all the time!".. bingo, well done..David is correct that there used to be out on post (even as late as when I came into clerking the sport in 2005) a Driving Standards Observer, I remember Andy Cox doing it at Snett for 750. but when a racer sees on TV track limits being exceeded time and again on F1, WEC BTCC why would he not think he can do it?

I have yet to have my yearly catch up with a certain Race Director but I also watched the Le Mans 24 and I was very much surprised by the fact that there were several cars running four wheels off alot! .. now, some of you ran with Masters when we did Porto.. and the famous briefing that EF did that I copied in respect of track limits and "The invisible concrete wall" so I was surprised that it was allowed without any action, but again, teams now at that level, seem to hold more sway than they ever should... and perhaps the ACO or indeed FIA or WEC have told him what is "allowed".. I doubt it, I will ask but i was surprised

I cannot stand the argument that "we need to go two wheels off " or everyone else does it... I fined someone once for saying that after they left the pit lane at Brands hatch going through a red light .. "I followed him"... lol would you if if was jumping off a cliff????? It's the same with the track limit over the white line, and no one can now say "you are not a racer, you dont know" because I am, and, I've won, (several times actually) in rmulti class races with varied machinery and never been exceeding track limits (Well not intentionally.. please dont bring up Rockingham and me losing it... thats different!), yet still got first in class or on the podium. .. and I always do say... if that white line WAS a wall... would you "Need to overhang it".. no... you wouldnt, because you would crash .. possibly die.... you dont need that "extra " bit... you are just effectively cheating .. its that simple

Driving standards in Historic have always traditionally been better, this is because 1) the drivers tended to be older and 2) the machinery in question tend to be more expensive, but, historics now at the low end is attracting younger drivers... and also, the machinery in question .. is not as "historic" as they were (80's and 90's cars are historic now peeps... I know you dont like it but they are!)

The simple fact is, that as long as you promote bad standards at the top end in ANY sport .. you will reap what you sow below... you only have to look at Sunday league football for proof of that ...

Yours... from the ivory tower
Old 23 Jun 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3913681)   #10
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in a drivers meeting recently where half the drivers still didn't understand the UK track limits. They were arguing black was white that as long as two wheels were inside the white line it was ok. Poor old clerk was getting more and more exasperated until those of those who actually knew the rules waded in.

I think the BTCC might have a bit to do with it but, IMO, it's just pure ignorance. I've lost count of the number of drivers I've spoken to over the years who don't have a clue about the basic rules of racing.

For some reason many just can't be bothered to read rules or pretty much any communication given the number who don't know where to setup, what time briefings are etc etc.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3913689)   #11
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I was in a drivers meeting recently where half the drivers still didn't understand........

For some reason many just can't be bothered to read rules or pretty much any communication given the number who don't know where to setup, what time briefings are etc etc.

There is another thread where this issue is discussed as well, thing is, you can lead a horse to water etc etc

1 Read the Blue Book
2 Read the Series Regulations
3 Read the Supplimentary "Finals"
4 ATTEND THE BRIEFING

but, your average racer cant be arsed to and therefore will blame everyone apart from themselves that they dont know.

the televised events just make it worse cause they see crap... so think its the norm
Old 23 Jun 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3913760)   #12
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are popular historic series where track limits - and any number of other rules and regs - are administered vigorously. They take place outside the UK. On which subject, why on earth does the UK have different track limit rules from the rest of Europe? What other than incomprehension and confusion is to be gained? Perhaps we should have a vote on it.
Old 23 Jun 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3913764)   #13
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure one of the reasons why CSCC races are so well supported is that they have always adopted a firm line on driving standards and have a Clerking team who don't take any nonsense.......don't play by the rules, you don't race!
Old 24 Jun 2019, 02:36 (Ref:3913822)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track limit=the white line both inside and outside of every track.
Kerbing is on the outside of said track limit lines.
Over here on the Nordschleife there are five kerbs that "professional" drivers use. Originally it was said that its OK to have two wheels over these, so what's happening now, yep, proffiesnow going four off. Guy on tourist Fahrten decided if they can do it etc. He unbalanced the car so much the barrier repairs alone cost over six grand, plus the car was a total loss, not a cheap one either.
Basically, those kerbs are not there to abuse, they are there to stop lazy can't be bothered drivers from carving out pot holes in the soil beyond the kerb.
Shocked a guy two weeks back at Spa, BMW M2 competition, couldn't resist the magnetism of Hamiltons favorite past time. "Mind if I try you car?" Of course not, but I'm coming with you. Amazed that no, you don't need to use kerbs.The car could flow as well as it did, couldn't understand how it was ten seconds faster than his best ever time.
Learn to drive on the tarmac? Yep, one very happy client😂😂
Old 24 Jun 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3913835)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
While IMHO the point of most concern highlighted by Marcus is driver’s reactions to yellow flags, it was interesting to see Danny Ric getting penalties at the French GP yesterday for exceeding track limits. With massive run off areas (originally incorporated as the track was designed for testing, I believe?) there were already (specific to the meeting) cones and ‘rejoining routes’ for some corners. One driver managed to follow a rejoining route and still gain an advantage, so was also penalised...
Old 24 Jun 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3913839)   #16
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Track limit=the white line both inside and outside of every track.
Kerbing is on the outside of said track limit lines.

Not in the UK though. The kerbs are part of the track so, even though it doesn't physically, the white line runs around the outside edge of the kerb.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:45 (Ref:3913857)   #17
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I have said elsewhere the point should be made that consistency is what is most needed. Why should Lewis, or Jason Plato, or a Ginetta Junior competitor race to different rules to any of us? The FIA rules don’t suggest they do, nor does the Blue tome so why do officials see things so differently?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3913858)   #18
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Not in the UK though. The kerbs are part of the track so, even though it doesn't physically, the white line runs around the outside edge of the kerb.
Where is that stated?.In the blue book "The white lines defining the track edge are considered to be part of the track"... doesnt say anythhing about the kerbing past those lines
Old 24 Jun 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3913862)   #19
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So why do briefings at MSV events come with photographs showing you can use the kerbs? Very clearly they say (and show) you cannot use the bit after that. As I understood it MSV got MUK to align their regulations with the MSV ones. And should be applauded for having done so.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3913863)   #20
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
So why do briefings at MSV events come with photographs showing you can use the kerbs? Very clearly they say (and show) you cannot use the bit after that. As I understood it MSV got MUK to align their regulations with the MSV ones. And should be applauded for having done so.

Because its a joke... basically, its contradictory of its own self.... rule is as follows

Drivers must use the track at all times and may not leave the track without a justifiable reason. For the avoidance of doubt:
(a) The white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track.
(b) A driver will be judged to have left the track if any wheel of the car either goes beyond the outer edge of any kerb or goes beyond the white line where there is no kerb.

in other words .... "we actually have bowed to preasuure from bad drivers who need to cheat using more track than actually there"

So HOW THE *** can those white lines be called the "track edges" if they are not the track edges!!!!!

What is the purpose of the Kerb Simon? if there was a solid concrete wall going round that track, would you feel the need to cross that line? no, you wouldnt, you would have to lift , you would have to slow down or take a different line, why, because otherwise you will crash. but because there isnt one, we suddenly say you can use the kerb as well....

But here is the point I keep making... when you race, with ANY organiser, you "sign on" with them, and that means you accept THEIR rules, and if they (within the track licence) say that you will be judged to have left the track if you use the kerb in this event"... then that is the rule and so long as its at the briefing... you will have heard it and you will either adhere to it, or face judicial and before people say "you cant do that"" and we should all race with the same rules, we dont, its what I keep saying ... READ THE REGS
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3913890)   #21
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon is right. We need one set of rules and consistency in their application. At present we have neither
Old 24 Jun 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3913898)   #22
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more
Old 24 Jun 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3913903)   #23
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was not bowing to pressure from "bad drivers" that got the national regulations for track limits changed, it was bowing to pressure from one particular, medically qualified, circuit owner and operator.

I have never seen the limits of the track listed on any National or International Track Licence. Any organiser that changes the Blue Book (for National) or ISC (for International) definition of track limits is making a mistake.

An organiser can decide which particular corners will be monitored by Judges of Fact for track limits infringements, usually the ones where and advantage will be gained. There are simply not enough personnel, or hours in the day to monitor every corner of a circuit

There are one set of regulations for track limits for National competitions run under MUK permits, and they have not changed since 2014

There are one set of regulations for track limits for International competitions run under the ISC. They haven't changed for donkey's years.

The photographs used at MSV briefings are the ones that were issued by the MSA (as then) to give pictorial guidance and explanation to the new regulations when they changed in 2014

It is down to the organising clubs to enforce the correct track limits regulations dependant on what level of event they are running. Having heard first hand certain organisers saying "we don't enforce track limits because they are rubbish", I know where the problem lies. It is also incumbent on the MUK Steward to report back to Colnbrook if the regulations aren't being properly enforced. This is where consistency would come from
Old 24 Jun 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3913908)   #24
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCRacing View Post
It was not bowing to pressure from "bad drivers" that got the national regulations for track limits changed, it was bowing to pressure from one particular, medically qualified, circuit owner and operator.
So are you saying it was under medical advise that the regulations were changed?
Old 24 Jun 2019, 12:19 (Ref:3913916)   #25
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Clair, with all due respect, the kerbs in the UK are considered part of the track. Therefore they are used. The far side of the kerbs is not part of the track and so should not be used. If any organiser decides differently then they are only helping to confuse the issue.
I have raced at Pau, and Monaco, and various other street circuits and I am acutely aware of where the track limit is on those types of circuit.
Should MUK or any other national body change the standing order then I and everyone else would have have to respect that change. Until then we are racing on circuits where the kerbs are in play. Personally I liked the delineation of chicanes etc by “sausage kerbs” but fully understand why the motorcyclists have a different view. It can only be for the common good that we play nice together, can’t it?