Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1303708)   #1
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bridgestone blame Safety Car period for tyre issue

From http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14811.html

Quote:
Bridgestone has announced that Michael Schumacher tyre failures in Spain were not caused by excessive wear. According to the Japanese tyremaker the first failure (on lap 44) was caused because the carcass of the tyre was weakened by the Safety Car period (laps 1-3). The second tyre failure was caused by some external debris and the car was retired because of damage to the suspension during Schumacher's drive into the pits.
Seems a bit strange, don't you think?
Old 18 May 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1303724)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whitewash.
Old 18 May 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1303751)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Whitewash.
Care to elaborate K-B?
Old 18 May 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1303757)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it's easier to blame external factors, rather than publicly admit your tyres aren't up to it at the moment.
Old 18 May 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1303782)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I have to say i'm enjoying this. Serves Bridgestone and Ferrai right for all their years of only having time/interest in each other, basically forcing the other teams to leave for Michelin, well, it's come back to haunt them, and long may it continue
Old 18 May 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1303796)   #6
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

And the safety car period only affects one BS tire out of 16? Were the minnows (the other 8 BS tires) running during the safety period at all?
Old 18 May 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1303804)   #7
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktoast
And the safety car period only affects one BS tire out of 16? Were the minnows (the other 8 BS tires) running during the safety period at all?
probably had the inferior version
Old 18 May 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1303877)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They didn't fail at Spa last year after extensive safety cars, although they flopped off the rim quite often. Yes, different tyre regs I know, but the fundamentals apply.....

This has to be the worst excuse ever.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1303908)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michelin didn't blame safety cars for the large amount fo pucntures/failures their tyres usffered last year (many of them after safety car periods earlier in the stint), so either Bridgestone are less capable of building tyres within the requirements of a safety car period 9which has been in F1 a lot longer than they have) or Michelin aren't whiners.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1303923)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So BS are saying that if they have another safety car period,much the same is likely to happen.And if you're going to get a safety car period anywhere it's most likely to be Monaco.I think it's going to be a very long race.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1303924)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It does sound like all those 'electrical failures' that Renault had in the early days of the turbo cars!

However I don't think we can assign a whinging tone to it. It is all a matter of degree. I don't think Bridgestone are saying that it was only the Safety Car period that caused more that it contributed to it.

Michael was on it, more than other Bridgestone runners and this probably accentuated any situation caused by the Safety Car. The tyres weren't worn out (they still had lots of tread according Autosport GP review, can't remember myself). However their structure was taking some punishment it seems.

It seems that Bridgestone may be going to a more drastic sidewall to tread edge. Rather than the rounded edge they have now. This will help them maximise the tread. I would have thought this would have an adverse effect overall on the construction, so it will be interesting to see how they cope with this change.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1303931)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Nobody at Bridgestone is whinging... They conducted an analysis, and it said that the tyre was at low pressure when they were going at low speed during the safety car period. This certainly would affect the structure of the tyre - its designed to go at high speed.

They are obviously not supposed to fail at low speed. Read between the lines; that particular tyre was obviously flawed.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1303934)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I understand BS have teamed up with DUREX in order to find a remedy to the problem.

Obviously there's a problem at low speeds.
Old 18 May 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1303986)   #14
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BS = BS? I can't believe they did not think that a motorsport event might not once in a while use safety cars especially since the FIA and Charlie Whiting have starting trying to avoid Red Flags except for major incidents. Would it of been a major effort for MS, RB, LB or MG to do a few slow laps then do a flat out test session?

I can see they are not blaming the safety car for being out but they do seem to be pinning the blame on a predicatable event. Had a lighting bolt zapped it and melted part of the compound then that would be an exceptable excuse. What next - the Minardi in front was too slow? The fact is all this session BS have had issues, you wonder how much this is hurting Jordan and Minardi as well.

As has been said putting in fast laps 1.13 whilst others are 2 seconds slower is not a wise thing to do on tyres that have had a heavy load the whole race. The other thing as also pointed out is Michelin did not moan about there issues they just sorted them out and pulled themselves above Bridgestone in the majority of conditions. I will be intreasted to see a wet race and if Michelin have got there 'inters' (I know wets and monsoons) up to scratch now.
Old 18 May 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1303993)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think rather than 'blaming' they are saying why they think something happened. Which is the interesting thing here.

We already knew that Ferrari have problems with cold tyres. They are slow after any safety car period (and have been for some time - remember Spa and Silverstone last year) and qualifying is a problem too. However this seems to show that the problem goes further than just poor lap times.
Old 18 May 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1304035)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Complete and utter nonsense.
Old 18 May 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1304045)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Just before the second puncture, if you look at the front left tyre, there is an ugly black mark all the way around the middle part of the tyre (look at the middle groove).

There is a good chance this was part of the problem...
Old 18 May 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1304052)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Just before the second puncture, if you look at the front left tyre, there is an ugly black mark all the way around the middle part of the tyre (look at the middle groove).

There is a good chance this was part of the problem...
I agree it's called tyre failure.
Old 18 May 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1304053)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BS is exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe the Safety Car was an issue, but surely they're sideskirting the fact that F1 one cars take part in races which involve Safety Car moments and must therefore be taken into consideration whilst designing tyres for said automobiles.

All really rather tragic, I have to say - especially given their earlier forthrightness in acknowledging their shortcomings.
Old 19 May 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1304262)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm so glad i subscribed to this forum. I always knew i could rely on the experts here to give us a better analysis. What do those Bridgestone technicians know about black donuts?

The only thing that hurts is that BS seem to have taken a leaf out of Michelin's book of excuses. Sad really.
Old 19 May 2005, 05:25 (Ref:1304266)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R

The only thing that hurts is that BS seem to have taken a leaf out of Michelin's book of excuses. Sad really.
Whats the old saying? Oh yer, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and Bridgestone ain't beating 'em

Last edited by Mr V; 19 May 2005 at 05:26. Reason: spelling spaz
Old 19 May 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1304382)   #22
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bridgestone should have possibly considered designing a tyre at the beginning of the year that was capable of dealing with safety car periods?

A bit radical I know...anyway, just a thought!
Old 19 May 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1304448)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers!

It took Bridgestone 5 years to finally produce tyres bad enough to erase Ferrari's advantage and let the other teams have their chance at glory.

Don't seem like they're in a hurry to change the situation.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1304608)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I'm so glad i subscribed to this forum. I always knew i could rely on the experts here to give us a better analysis. What do those Bridgestone technicians know about black donuts?

I found the statement that Bridgestone made a little lame, of course they are the tyre experts and I am sure that they are working flat out to solve the problems they and Ferrari are experiencing. On another note if I heard correctly this morning on Speed, Steve Matchet was saying that the Wurtz testing accident in France was caused by improper mounting of the tyres or one of the tyres? on his car.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1304616)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

A Michelin mechanic had put the tyre on the wheel the wrong way round, having been confused by the positioning of a bar code.