Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Sep 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3305927)   #226
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Not to mention he got a top 5 in his ATCC debut at Amaroo, and got 3rd at Bathurst in 1993.

If he hadn't gone off so quickly and started his own team for 1994, who knows how good the results could have been?
If WGR had managed to wangle a Bridgestone tyre contract for 1994, we may have seen a much better performance...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Sep 2013, 01:12 (Ref:3305960)   #227
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If WGR had managed to wangle a Bridgestone tyre contract for 1994, we may have seen a much better performance...
Erm, what year did Skaife win the championship on Yokohama?
Old 19 Sep 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3305972)   #228
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WGR were on Dunlops in '94.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3305975)   #229
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
WGR were on Dunlops in '94.
I stand corrected, DJR won the championship in '95 on Dunlops so I don't really see that tyres were a massive issue this early.

Gardner had speed but was impatient and sometimes petulant. He bought the Holy Grail of sponsors to the sport but you could argue that they left because of him too.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3305977)   #230
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I stand corrected, DJR won the championship in '95 on Dunlops so I don't really see that tyres were a massive issue this early.

Gardner had speed but was impatient and sometimes petulant. He bought the Holy Grail of sponsors to the sport but you could argue that they left because of him too.
Tyres were very much an issue. Yokohama and Bridgestone only supplied a small number of teams, most notably Gibson's team on Yokos and HRT & Glenn Seton on Bridgeys.

Dunlop was the 'customer' tyre option. They supplied everyone who couldn't get a contract with the other two, but they preferenced DJR as back then they were one of the biggest teams of the Dunlop runners.

DJR did win in 95 - back when HRT was a basket case, mostly through superior engine and John Bowe being at his peak. Larry got up for them at Bathurst, although they were helped by the failure of the lead Winfield car after it had put a lap on them and Seton's demise at the end. Still a fantastic drive by LP & Ingall though.

For reference, in 96 Paul Romano, who was consistently near the back, was given a set of Bridgestones at the final round at Oran Park and qualified sixth - far and away his best result of the year. It was eerily similar to the effect E70 had on a couple of Nissans recently.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 04:06 (Ref:3305991)   #231
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
For reference, in 96 Paul Romano, who was consistently near the back, was given a set of Bridgestones at the final round at Oran Park and qualified sixth - far and away his best result of the year. It was eerily similar to the effect E70 had on a couple of Nissans recently.
Was Romano's not an ex-HRT car though?

Anyway on topic it seems reports are swirling Casey is going to hang up the helmet in all forms of motorsport at the end of the year.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3306013)   #232
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Was Romano's not an ex-HRT car though?
Perkins-built Ex-Longhurst B&H Commodore VP...
Old 19 Sep 2013, 05:41 (Ref:3306019)   #233
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Really, I should just shut up now
Old 19 Sep 2013, 05:55 (Ref:3306022)   #234
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Old 19 Sep 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3306121)   #235
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back on topic...it would appear that Stoner who has had equal or better equipment than anyone else (in the second tier of V8 Supercars) has performed poorly compared to Gardner who had dodgy HRT equipment and far from the best tyres in the 1st tier series.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3306136)   #236
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Romano was driving a Falcon for the Pack Leader team in 96, sorry to go back off topic.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3306368)   #237
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
Romano was driving a Falcon for the Pack Leader team in 96, sorry to go back off topic.
Perhaps it was 95 then. Either way the point was changing to Bridgestones catapulted a back-half of the field car/driver combo to the front of the field for the first and only time that season.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3306409)   #238
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Back on topic...it would appear that Stoner who has had equal or better equipment than anyone else (in the second tier of V8 Supercars) has performed poorly compared to Gardner who had dodgy HRT equipment and far from the best tyres in the 1st tier series.
I made the comparison for a reason-- Gardner was the epicentre of a lot of car contact( Capt Chaos ring a bell for anyone?) and overall it was a lot less competitive back then-- not facing nearly 60 cars as it is now( main series plus 2nd series ) -- so Stoner was/is facing a bigger mountain .
Reality is that it took some time and a fair lump of Gardners own money for him to get accepted.
I have the utmost respect for Caseys achievements and the sacrifices he and his family made to succeed-- but learning the hard way a new gig requires an equal amount of dedication to the cause.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3306485)   #239
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
(Capt Chaos ring a bell for anyone?)
I seem to recall at some stage there was a promotion to Major for Wayne

Now everyone, back on topic!
Old 21 Sep 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3306973)   #240
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
Reality is that it took some time and a fair lump of Gardners own money for him to get accepted.
To paraphrase WG...

When asked about the source of money for his racing he replied that only a fool uses his own money to go racing and as much as some like to criticise him I don't think he is a fool where money is concerned.