Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Sep 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1109617)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ascari?

dsc is carrying a report from Autopista that Klaas Zwart is going to enter two KZ-1s in the '05 Spanish GT series. Could this be a prelude to something bigger?

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Sep 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1109630)   #2
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTB Class car, that would put it against GT CupClass opposition in the UK. I'd have thought it would have been quicker than that.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1109667)   #3
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what no proto! man that was my favorite team. I wish they'd come back
Old 28 Sep 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1109668)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
My guess is that this is to promote their Spanish race resort
Old 28 Sep 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1109695)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, sure, in the short term. I'm thinking 3-5 years down the road (note the resort showcases the LMPs as well), Ascari will be looking at full-blown international competition. The question will be whether the KZ-1 is worthy of the supercar moniker, or if they'll have to go the prototype route.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Sep 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1110119)   #6
Audi R8R
Racer

Why would they return to sportscar racing to 'spend' money when the Spanish resort can 'make' money?
Old 29 Sep 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1110336)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Well, why did they run the LMP in the first place?

-Bill James
Old 29 Sep 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1110507)   #8
Audi R8R
Racer

Because back then it wa almost competitive. Can you see it being that quick against present day machinery? Why spend large amounts of one's capital when one can be making it on the Costa?
Old 29 Sep 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1110520)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Audi R8R
Because back then it wa almost competitive. Can you see it being that quick against present day machinery? Why spend large amounts of one's capital when one can be making it on the Costa?
But did the LMP make money?

(No, so why aren't they running a LMP nowadays?)
Old 29 Sep 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1110542)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
My feeling is that the idea of Ascari entering ACO competition isn't purely about making money. Granted, if it generates more profile for the racing resort, then that increased revenue can offset the expense - but it would be an ego thing, just as the previous foray was.

Anyway, if racing wasn't about making money the last time, why should it be this time? And is the racing resort really going to generate a lot of money? Or is it more personal?

-Bill James
Old 30 Sep 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1110838)   #11
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ascari was a reasonably competitive car. Would be nice to see them back with a new prototype..