Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1854239)   #1
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola with a lid

So it looks like like we will see a pretty lola by the end of the year... see the orange site for the scoop!

pit
Old 1 Mar 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1854244)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's got to be Nissan who are interested in this car.

Who else fits the profile, i.e. a major manufactuer who doesn't necessarily have the set-up to build an LMP, unlike, for instance, Toyota or Honda.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1854281)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
...this might be very left field, but when I read in the original thread the bidtabout gaining interrest of a big manufacturer, my fist thought was chevy (corvette) and not nissan, esp. as an earlier involvement of the same maufacturer was mentioned by one guy here....
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1854389)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
...this might be very left field, but when I read in the original thread the bidtabout gaining interrest of a big manufacturer, my fist thought was chevy (corvette) and not nissan, esp. as an earlier involvement of the same maufacturer was mentioned by one guy here....
Doc Bundy does spring to mind.

T-600 Lola variant Corvette GTP

or maybe a new Cadillola!

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 08:50 (Ref:1854398)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It's got to be Nissan who are interested in this car.
Makes sense to me. How much of a coincidence was that photo of Martin Birrane with the picture of the R89C on the wall next to him?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1854488)   #6
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The photograph was simply to make the link between Lola and manufacturers - not a specific manufacturer.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1854513)   #7
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Doc Bundy does spring to mind.

T-600 Lola variant Corvette GTP

or maybe a new Cadillola!

L.P.
T-600 was first gen Lola GTP:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-27-019.jpg

T-710 was the Corvette GTP. 810 the Nissan (original circa 1985--of course there would also be the Group C Lola-Nissans later on).
Old 1 Mar 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1854640)   #8
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking more Lola GT...
Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1854725)   #9
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike

T-710 was the Corvette GTP. 810 the Nissan (original circa 1985--of course there would also be the Group C Lola-Nissans later on).
Did Chevy finance the Corvette Lola?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1854782)   #10
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Did Chevy finance the Corvette Lola?
That's my understanding. Nissan did same for Lola 810. The two cars (710 and 810) are similar in tub only. How similar they are there I don't know for sure. The 810 has some odd packaging at the front of the monocoque (the way the springs are arranged) in order to accomodate the radiator/intercooler ducting. Suspect the 710 had same as both cars were turbocharged at the time and appear to have the same intake architecture. Though having never seen a Corvette GTP with the bodywork off I can't say definitively in regards to this point.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1854785)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Just to further stir my left-field conspiracy plot: Isn't the C7 supposed to be a mid-engine car?

The more I think about it the more I love this idea. Corvette should really take their LMP1 budget to the LMP1 class!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1854791)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just to further stir my left-field conspiracy plot: Isn't the C7 supposed to be a mid-engine car?

The more I think about it the more I love this idea. Corvette should really take their LMP1 budget to the LMP1 class!
That would be cool. Pratt and Miller would certainly be better than the previous Cadillac team. But this is just a nice dream at the moment.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1854863)   #13
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
That would be cool. Pratt and Miller would certainly be better than the previous Cadillac team. But this is just a nice dream at the moment.
Ya nice dream! Drop the C6.R and go the Porsche route. Run Z06.R's in GT-2 and a P-1 Corvette C7.LMP!!

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1854868)   #14
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Mid-Engine Corvette? Never.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1854876)   #15
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
A Mid-Engine Corvette? Never.
Already been more than one! And almost made it to a production model!

I mostly agree with the sentiment, but I've learned to Never say Never!

L.P.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1854889)   #16
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, I do remember the mid-engine concepts, but I mean it'll never make it to production.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1854983)   #17
elan
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA
elan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Check out www.autoextremist this week. Says GM will drastically reduce Nascar funding at the end of 08. Want a more global image. "Expect them to put money into other forms of motorsport". Not that farfetched of an idea.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1854989)   #18
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
That's my understanding. Nissan did same for Lola 810. The two cars (710 and 810) are similar in tub only. How similar they are there I don't know for sure. The 810 has some odd packaging at the front of the monocoque (the way the springs are arranged) in order to accomodate the radiator/intercooler ducting. Suspect the 710 had same as both cars were turbocharged at the time and appear to have the same intake architecture. Though having never seen a Corvette GTP with the bodywork off I can't say definitively in regards to this point.
That is what I thought, as back in the day, it was usually referred to as the Corvette GTP, with a chassis from Lola, and not by a Lola number, till it was all but parked.

I do remember that Lola, to make it Corvette like, had to compromise, what they would have preferred to do.
That alone showed how much Detroit wanted at that time, for the GTP car to represent something from Detroit; ditto for the Front Engined Ford GTP.

Of course back then Buick, Chevy and Ford were all playing around with blown engines, and this was the other place, besides Indy, to get real info.
Bob
Old 2 Mar 2007, 02:47 (Ref:1855186)   #19
Start_16
Rookie

Start_16 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If GM wouldn't spend the money to compete with Toyota and Honda in the IRL, what makes you possibly think they would spend the money to compete against Audi in P1?

Seriously, back to reality, people.

It's ironic people have brought up the Corvette GTP. I've always thought the front facia of the GTP shared more in common with the C5R than it did the 80s Vette. It was a car styled way ahead of it's time it seems.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1858489)   #20
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
That is what I thought, as back in the day, it was usually referred to as the Corvette GTP, with a chassis from Lola, and not by a Lola number, till it was all but parked.

I do remember that Lola, to make it Corvette like, had to compromise, what they would have preferred to do.
That alone showed how much Detroit wanted at that time, for the GTP car to represent something from Detroit; ditto for the Front Engined Ford GTP.

Of course back then Buick, Chevy and Ford were all playing around with blown engines, and this was the other place, besides Indy, to get real info.
Bob
The Corvette GTP and the Lew Price Corvette GTP both had Lola chassis plates on them...
Old 4 Mar 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1858504)   #21
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
From what I've seen, the Corvette GTPs had various designations as the years went on. T710, T86/10, T87/10, and T88/10 all appear to have been used as the Corvette GTP. Lew Price's car was a T711.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 01:44 (Ref:1858569)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start_16
If GM wouldn't spend the money to compete with Toyota and Honda in the IRL, what makes you possibly think they would spend the money to compete against Audi in P1?
Perhaps more relevant brand recognition?

You're right, though, they already had that opportunity and didn't, with Caddy. They do, however, spend a big big chunk of money on the Corvette Racing program which has at times gone up against Dodge, Ferrari and Aston in GT1. I suspect that program would have to be axed if they were to go to P1, but the point that they will spend more $$ on sportscars than the other parts of the Big 3 still stands.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1858584)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
two things, with lutz making decisions expect the unexpected every time and yeah im guessing that means the (ss, blue devil, super vette, etc) could be the last big front engined design, but hey i thought the gto would be better then it turned out to be. and p&m moving up to a proto could happed esp with limited GM support as a LMP2 entry. would be good for some competition for them at least.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1859996)   #24
Start_16
Rookie

Start_16 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Perhaps more relevant brand recognition?
How is LMP going to give them more relevant brand recognition than GT1?
Old 6 Mar 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1859999)   #25
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand recognition doesn't have to come from relating the racecar with the product. Recognition comes from knowing the brand name in your subconsciousness. P1 has more media coverage.
Closed Thread